Understanding how hydration affects color-changing windows that optimize solar energy transmission can boost their efficiency and durability
Electrochromic materials dynamically alter how they transmit light in response to an applied electrical signal. Engineers are currently working to turn these compounds into ‘smart windows’ for buildings that change from transparent to colored states at the flick of a switch. Such devices can help to prevent heat loss and maximize the amount of natural light passing through windows. Sing Yang Chiam from the A*STAR Institute of Materials Research and Engineering in Singapore and co-workers have discovered how to improve the manufacturing and performance of smart windows by elucidating the critical roles that water molecules play during coloration1.
Nickel oxide (NiO) is a low-cost, inorganic compound widely used as an anode material inside smart windows because it is a reversible color-changer. Unlike other electrochromic substances, however, researchers have struggled to comprehend how coloration occurs in NiO in the presence of common aqueous electrolytes. Part of the problem is that NiO can form different crystal structures in its bleached and colored states, depending on how much water becomes incorporated into the material.
Chiam and his team set out to unravel this puzzle with a ‘chemical bath deposition’ technique that allowed rapid fabrication of NiO thin films simply by dipping a conductive glass slide into a nickel precursor solution (see image). The researchers annealed the films at increasingly elevated temperatures to gradually drive water out of NiO, checking its structure with X-ray diffraction and infrared spectroscopy along the way. They also investigated how these structures had changed after multiple electrochromic color-change cycles.
The team’s experiments revealed a complex coloration mechanism involving water and NiO particles. Initially, two intertwined reactions hydrated the thin film by turning NiO into nickel hydroxide. This process enhanced the material’s optical response to electrical signals by allowing more of the thin film to contribute to coloration reactions. However, repeated cycling caused ‘over-hydration’ that trapped water molecules inside the thin film structure — a development that degrades electrochromic activity by generating irreversibly colored nickel oxide hydroxide grains.
The researchers found that a simple high-temperature annealing process could mitigate the effects of over-hydration in the NiO thin film. This improved mechanistic knowledge — in combination with their simple and scalable chemical dip coating technique — helped them to achieve one of the best optical modulations reported for NiO films.
Currently, the team is investigating how to extend their work to flexible substrates. “Fabricating electrochromic thin films on rolls of plastic could make retrofitting onto existing windows affordable and easy,” explains Chiam.
The Latest Google Headlines on:
The Latest Bing News on:
- How to control Google Assistant in Windows 10 using Snap Core Firston October 10, 2020 at 5:00 am
Google recently made Google Assistant more accessible to users on Windows 10, especially those with accessibility needs. Here's how to set up Snap Core First to use the Assistant without speaking.
- How to cast your Windows desktop to a smart TV without a cable, and mirror your desktop display onto your TVon October 9, 2020 at 5:10 pm
Here's how to cast your Windows desktop to your TV. Before you begin casting, a few requirements must be met for the process to work. 1. Your television must be a smart TV and have its Wi-Fi ...
- Trump Blathers About ‘Little Tiny Fish’ and ‘Tiny Little Windows’ During Hannity Interviewon October 9, 2020 at 8:47 am
The president ducked questions about being tested for Covid-19 and absurdly claimed that Joe Biden would turn America into a "ninth world country" ...
- TP-Link's three-way Kasa smart switch drops under $20on October 8, 2020 at 7:41 am
Turn your dumb lights into smart lights with today's deal. Amazon is selling TP Link’s Kasa three-way smart switch for $18. That’s the all-time low price. Better yet, like all TP-Link Kasa devices, ...
- The Foldio Smart Dome is an All-in-One 360 Product Photography ‘Studio’on October 6, 2020 at 10:01 am
Orangemonkie—the company behind the popular Foldio light box and Foldio360 turntable—has just unveiled its latest product photography 'studio.' Meet the ...
- How to check SMART Failure Predict Status of Drives in Windows 10on October 4, 2020 at 4:09 pm
S.M.A.R.T (Self-Monitoring, Analysis and Reporting Technology) often written as SMART is a monitoring system included in computer hard disk drives (HDDs), solid-state drives (SSDs), and eMMC drives.
- Smart Trucks and Smart Warehouseson October 4, 2020 at 4:18 am
The following diagram shows trucks and smart warehouses communicating with their associated real-time digital twins within a cloud-hosted service that tracks shipments. Because real-time digital twins ...
- Smart storage: Five simple ways to back up your most important files — and avoid digital distresson October 3, 2020 at 3:14 am
Be prepared for a potential digital disaster, whether it's a hard drive crash, flood or fire. You can use another drive or the cloud to back up files.
- Smart Glasses Market to Witness Huge Growth By 2025 | Recon, Lenovo, ITheateron October 2, 2020 at 10:02 am
Industries and markets are ever-evolving; navigate these changes with ongoing research conducted by HTF MI; Address the latest insights released on Global Smart Glasses Market. Browse now for Full ...
- Smart tips for Windows 10 to boost your productivityon October 2, 2020 at 7:41 am
Here is a quick list of features you might not have known about the Windows 10 operating system that would help boost your productivity at work Windows 10 was launched five years ago. Since then ...
The Latest Google Headlines on:
The Latest Bing News on:
- 6 emerging energy-management glazing technologieson October 7, 2020 at 5:01 pm
“Electrochromic glazing appears to be on the verge of widespread adoption,” says Mic Patterson, Vice President of Strategic Development for Enclos. “The industry has recently invested in the ...
- Performance of 'Smart' Glass Improved By Manipulating Nano-Materialson October 5, 2020 at 5:00 pm
“The key components of smart glass are electrochromic materials that change color in the presence of an external electric field,” Justin Sambur, assistant professor in Colorado State University's ...
- Mimbly AB Chooses Ynvisible's Energy Efficient Displays for Its Sustainable Laundry Solutionon September 29, 2020 at 2:39 am
Ynvisible has the experience, know-how and intellectual property in electrochromic materials, inks, and systems. Ynvisible's interactive printed graphics solutions solve the need for ultra-low power, ...
- Mimbly AB Chooses Ynvisible's Energy Efficient Displays for Its Sustainable Laundry Solutionon September 29, 2020 at 1:43 am
Ynvisible has the experience, know-how and intellectual property in electrochromic materials, inks, and systems. Ynvisible's interactive printed graphics solutions solve the need for ultra-low ...
- Understanding Impact of COVID-19 on Electrochromic Materials Marketon September 24, 2020 at 10:54 am
Electrochromic materials undergo reversible changes in optical absorbance upon electrically induced oxidation and reduction. Devices comprising these materials require an initial electrical ...
- Electrochromic Polymers Give Drones Chameleon-Like Ability to Hide in Plain Sighton September 17, 2020 at 5:00 pm
“The sky changes color, but [drones] don’t,” notes a press release on the FII website. But they can if they are built with electrochromic materials, which change color in response to an electric field ...
- Smart Materials Market : Rising Trends with Top Countries Data, Technology and Business Outlook 2020 to 2026on September 15, 2020 at 8:34 pm
Shape Memory Material, Electrochromic Materials, Shape Memory Polymer, Thermochromic Materials, Others), Applications (Electronic Industry, Automobile, Food and Beverages, Biomedical Industry ...
- Global Electrochromic Materials Market 2020 Industry Outlook, Key Players, Segmentation Analysis, Business Growth and Forecast to 2025on September 14, 2020 at 7:28 pm
Sep 14, 2020 (CDN Newswire via Comtex) -- Global Electrochromic Materials Market 2020 by Manufacturers, Type and Application, Forecast to 2025 is a highly comprehensive research document released ...