The US has been selling off its helium reserve, established in the 1920s to provide gas for airships – but even so, shortages have been occurring.
Some scientists believe a finite resource that could one day run out should not be used for party balloons.
In the universe as a whole, it is one of the commonest elements, second only to hydrogen in its abundance. On Earth it is relatively rare, and one of the few elements that escapes gravity and leaks away into space.
“All of the other elements we’ve scattered around the globe, maybe we can go digging in garbage dumps to get them back,” says chemist Andrea Sella, of University College London (UCL).
“But helium is unique. When it’s gone it is lost to us forever.”
Helium has the lowest boiling point of any element, at -269C, just a few degrees above absolute zero (-273C).
This makes it of key importance for superconducting magnets used in MRI scanners, which must be supercooled to generate the hugely powerful magnetic fields required.
“We’re going to be looking back and thinking, I can’t believe people just used to fill up their balloons with it, when it’s so precious and unique,” says Cambridge University chemist Peter Wothers, who has called for the end to helium-filled party balloons.
“It is something we need to think about.”
That would mean an end to the old party favourite of breathing in helium from a balloon, and then talking in a high-pitched voices – a result of helium’s fast-moving molecules. But maybe this would be no bad thing, as it can cause dizziness, headaches and even death.
The gas, which is formed by the decay of radioactive rocks in the earth’s crust, accumulates in natural gas deposits and is collected as a by-product of the gas industry.
The United States is currently the world’s biggest supplier, with the bulk of it stored near Amarillo, Texas, in the national helium reserve – which alone accounts for 35% of the world’s current supply.
Go deeper with Bing News on:
- Helium balloons to alert boats on danger spots in Godavarion June 28, 2020 at 9:29 am
In order to prevent boat accidents, the police proposes to use helium balloons to demarcate the whirlpools and danger spots for sarungs (boat drivers) who venture into the Godavari. The tribal people ...
- Helium Comedy Club reopens to live audience shows this weekend with safety protocolson June 26, 2020 at 5:01 pm
Will comedians tweak their act to avoid sensitive racial issues during a pandemic, or will they tackle it head-on in our cancel culture world?
- Helium Comedy Club opens to live audience shows this weekend with safety protocolson June 26, 2020 at 5:01 pm
But will comedians tweak their material to avoid sensitive racial issues during a pandemic, or will they address it head-on in our "cancel culture" world?
- Due to Demand Royal Helium Announces an Increase in the Size of its Private Placementon June 25, 2020 at 3:39 pm
CNW/ - Royal Helium Ltd., ("Royal" or the "Company") (RHC.V) announces that, due to demand, it has increased the size of its non-brokered private placement announced on June 15, 2020 , to a maximum of ...
- Helium balloons did not reach North Korea, Seoul sayson June 23, 2020 at 8:05 am
South Korea said none of the helium balloons containing leaflets and anti-Pyongyang propaganda defectors launched on Monday evening made it to North Korea.
Go deeper with Google Headlines on:
Go deeper with Bing News on:
- Cold atmospheric plasma as an effective method to treat diabetic foot ulcers: A randomized clinical trialon June 26, 2020 at 2:07 am
CAP was generated from ionized helium gas in ambient air, and driven by a high voltage (10 kV) and high frequency (6 kHz) power supply. Primary outcomes were wound size, number of cases reaching wound ...
- INO Hits New High, APYX Expands Footprint, TBIO/SNY To Begin COVID-19 Vaccine Trial In Q4on June 23, 2020 at 10:48 pm
The Company's Helium Plasma Technology is marketed and sold as Renuvion ... processes can be transferred to contract manufacturers in order to further increase supply. The Company's COVID-19 vaccine ...
- INO Hits New High, APYX Expands Footprint, TBIO/SNY To Begin COVID-19 Vaccine Trial In Q4on June 23, 2020 at 10:18 pm
The Company's Helium Plasma Technology is marketed and ... to contract manufacturers in order to further increase supply. The Company's COVID-19 vaccine candidate INO-4800 is under a phase I ...
- BOC South Pacific: Understanding the uses of heliumon June 15, 2020 at 11:39 pm
Did you know that BOC South Pacific's helium refinery in Darwin, Australia is the only one in the Southern Hemisphere?
- How the global helium shortage could impact the health industryon June 14, 2020 at 4:31 am
Nearly 75% of the world's helium supply is produced in the U.S. but reserves have been depleted. John Goodwin, a chemistry professor at Coastal Carolina University, says helium can't be ...