A replacement for oil has become a burning need in the 21st century
A replacement for oil has become a burning need in the 21st century, with Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu having made it clear that for the Jewish state at least, developing oil alternative is a national priority.
Ben-Gurion University of the Negev (BGU) researchers have invented a process to make a green feed alternative for crude oil out of two of the most common substances on Earth – water and carbon dioxide, which is a greenhouse gas detrimental to the environment. The project is partially supported by I-SAEF (Israel Strategic Alternative Energy Foundation).
Prof. Moti Herskowitz, Prof. Miron Landau, Dr. Roxana Vidruk and the team at BGU’s Blechner Center of Industrial Catalysis and Process Development have developed a green feed that can be converted using well-established technologies into liquid fuel and delivered using existing infrastructure to gas stations. As opposed to other alternative fuel sources, such as electric cars, which require additional infrastructure, this green feed would merely replace oil as the input for refineries.
Herskowitz unveiled the revolutionary breakthrough at the Bloomberg Fuel Choices Summit in Tel Aviv last week, on Wednesday, November 13th.
“It is an extraordinary challenge to convert carbon dioxide and hydrogen to green feed,” says Herskowitz. “The technology is based on novel specially tailored catalysts and catalytic processes. Well-established, commercially available technology can be directly applied to the process developed at BGU. It is envisaged that the short-term implementation of the process will combine synthetic gas produced from various renewable and alternative sources with carbon dioxide and hydrogen.”
Prof. Herskowitz, who is the Israel Cohen Chair in Chemical Engineering and the VP & Dean at BGU, indicated that the new process should become a reality in the near future.
“It is an extraordinary challenge to convert carbon dioxide and hydrogen to green feed,” says Herskowitz, “The technology is based on novel specially tailored catalysts and catalytic processes. Well-established, commercially available technology can be directly applied to the process developed at Ben Gurion University. It is envisaged that the short-term implementation of the process will combine synthetic gas produced from various renewable and alternative sources with carbon dioxide and hydrogen. Since there are no foreseen technological barriers, the new process should become a reality within five to ten years,” he says.
Regarding other alternative fuels, Herskowitz maintains that his invention represents a game-changer.
The Latest Google Headlines on:
The Latest Bing News on:
- 2021 Mazda3 Turbo First Drive | A fun luxury alternativeon November 20, 2020 at 5:05 am
Mazda3 Turbo may not be a Mazdaspeed successor, but it's a very enjoyable car, and a great budget alternative to luxury offerings.
- Arcola Energy fuel cell powertrain platform is ready for productionon November 20, 2020 at 1:07 am
This hydrogen fuel platform was developed for heavy duty vehicles to replace diesel engines. Arcola Energy has announced the development of a proprietary hydro ...
- Frying a turkey for Thanksgiving? This Louisville man wants to turn your used oil into fuelon November 19, 2020 at 3:37 am
Deep frying a turkey this Thanksgiving? Don't dump your used oil down the drain. Here's how to recycle the oil and help power cars.
- Fusion Fuel Green plc and HL Acquisitions Corp. Announce Partnership with EREE Desarrollos Empresariales SLon November 18, 2020 at 3:47 pm
Fusion Fuel has developed a disruptive micro-electrolyzer ... the transition to Green Hydrogen by providing a cost competitive alternative to Brown Hydrogen. The team has extensive experience ...
- The Maturing Hydrogen Fuel Energy Alternativeon November 17, 2020 at 1:48 pm
A s we look for alternative energy sources to replace dirty fossil fuels, hydrogen-based power could have what it takes. "Hydrogen-based power has the potential to solve a major issue for humankind — ...
- Automotive Minute: 2021 Toyota Venza makes a case to be the sophisticated RAV4 alternativeon November 17, 2020 at 6:26 am
Is it a Toyota or a Lexus? At first glance it may be hard to tell if you're not looking right at the badge on the front of the 2021 Toyota Venza. The car is luxe enough inside to be a Lexus, too. The ...
- Alternative Fuel and Hybrid Vehicle Market Size Outlook 2025: Top Companies, Trends, Growth Factors Details by Regions, Types and Applicationson November 17, 2020 at 6:26 am
The global Alternative Fuel and Hybrid Vehicle market size is expected to gain market growth in the forecast period of 2020 to 2025, with a CAGR of 7.0%% in the forecast period of 2020 to 2025 and ...
- Why Enphase Energy, Westport Fuel Systems, and Blink Charging Stocks Were Hopping on Mondayon November 16, 2020 at 4:18 pm
Alternative-energy stocks are doing particularly well, with shares of Enphase Energy (NASDAQ:ENPH) up 4.3%, Westport Fuel Systems (NASDAQ:WPRT) 11.4%, and Blink Charging (NASDAQ:BLNK) an eye-popping ...
- Fossil-Fuel Workers Can Be Part of the Climate Solutionon November 16, 2020 at 7:30 am
Reviving America’s commitment to fighting climate change will require effort from politicians, energy executives, to some extent everyone. Yet one group must not be forgotten: the fossil-fuel workers ...
- Alternative fuels originating either from renewable or circular-economy feedstock decrease particle number emissionon November 13, 2020 at 6:00 am
Alternative fuels originating either from renewable or circular-economy feedstock will not bring penalties in terms of number-based particle emissions in high- or medium-speed non-road engines. This ...
The Latest Google Headlines on:
Replacement for oil
The Latest Bing News on:
Replacement for oil
- Oil Is In Trouble. So Is Texason November 20, 2020 at 10:00 am
These workover rigs are usually used to fix temperamental oil wells. A 40-foot-long behemoth drives out to a well and raises its 96-foot derrick. It can remove or replace old pipe, or do whatever ...
- Picnic-friendly dishes for a quiet holiday meal in a parkon November 20, 2020 at 9:34 am
With all this talk of what will Thanksgiving look like, maybe you’re opting out altogether this year.One of my most memorable holidays as an adult ...
- Pa. bill heading to governor would relax environmental laws for conventional drillerson November 20, 2020 at 7:09 am
Wolf’s office has previously said he would veto the bill, as it “poses an undeniable risk to the health and safety of our citizens, the environment, and our public resources." ...
- ‘LaPolitics’: Race to replace Richmond shapes up; oil interests still pushing severance ideaon November 20, 2020 at 6:38 am
It has only been a few days since Congressman Cedric Richmond announced he will step down in early January to become a senior adviser to President-elect Joe Biden and director of the White House ...
- AP Investigation: Rape, abuses in palm oil fields linked to top beauty brands, including P&G productson November 20, 2020 at 3:11 am
Palm oil is found in everything from potato chips and pills to pet food, and also ends up in the supply chains of the biggest names in the beauty business.
- Capstone Turbine (NASDAQ:CPST) Secures Order From Major Oil & Gas Producer for Offshore Drilling and Wellhead Platformon November 19, 2020 at 5:00 am
Capstone Turbine Corporation, the world's leading clean technology manufacturer of microturbine energy systems, announced today that it has received orders for two ATEX- certified C200S microturbines ...
- Hess Can't Recover More Than $300M in Damages From Schlumberger in Case With Far-Reaching Consequences for Oil & Gas Industryon November 18, 2020 at 7:09 pm
A closely watched oil and gas case, Hess v. Schlumberger ... Hess sought to revoke acceptance of the valves and recover its alleged costs to retrieve and replace the valves and other damages. Hess ...
- Rape, abuses in palm oil fields linked to top beauty brandson November 17, 2020 at 10:35 pm
SUMATRA, Indonesia (AP) — The 16-year-old girl describes how her boss raped her amid the tall trees on an Indonesian palm oil plantation that feeds into some of the world’s best-known cosmetic brands.
- Minnesota grants key permits for Line 3 oil pipelineon November 13, 2020 at 11:36 am
Minnesota regulators granted a stack of important permits and approvals Thursday for Enbridge Energy’s planned Line 3 pipeline replacement across northern Minnesota, setting the long-delayed $2.6 ...
- Minnesota Regulators Grant Key Permits For Line 3 Crude Oil Pipelineon November 13, 2020 at 4:56 am
Minnesota regulators granted a stack of important permits and approvals Thursday for Enbridge Energy's planned Line 3 pipeline replacement across northern Minnesota, setting the long-delayed $2.6 ...