Researchers at NJIT have developed a flexible battery made with carbon nanotubes that could potentially power electronic devices with flexible displays.
Electronic manufacturers are now making flexible organic light-emitting diode (OLED) displays, a pioneering technology that allow devices such as cell phones, tablet computers and TVs to literally fold up.
And this new battery, given its flexibility and components, can be used to power this new generation of bendable electronics. The battery is made from carbon nanotubes and micro-particles that serve as active components — similar to those found in conventional batteries. It is designed, though, to contain the electro-active ingredients while remaining flexible.
“This battery can be made as small as a pinhead or as large as a carpet in your living room,” says Somenath Mitra, a professor of chemistry and environmental science whose research group invented the battery. “So its applications are endless. You can place a rolled-up battery in the trunk of your electric car and have it power the vehicle.”
A patent application on the battery has been filed, and the battery will be featured in an upcoming issue of “Advanced Materials.” Mitra developed the new technology at NJIT with assistance from Zhiqian Wang, a doctoral student in chemistry.
The battery has another revolutionary potential, in that it could be fabricated at home by consumers. All one would need to make the battery is a kit comprised of electrode paste and a laminating machine. One would coat two plastic sheets with the electrode paste, place a plastic separator between the sheets and then laminate the assembly. The battery assembly would function in the same way as a double-A or a triple-A battery.
Go deeper with Bing News on:
- Lenovo Chromebook Flex 5 review: A $410 laptop done righton June 29, 2020 at 6:22 am
Cheap Chromebooks are a dime a dozen these days. But how about one that feels like it's worth twice the cost? Enter the Lenovo Chromebook Flex 5.
- AutoGrid Flex, Sunrun Partner to Manage Residential Batterieson June 29, 2020 at 4:55 am
AutoGrid, a company that provides flexible management software for the energy industry, has entered a partnership with Sunrun Inc. to provide AutoGrid Flex Virtual Power Plant (VPP) software to help ...
- The best LiPo battery chargeron June 27, 2020 at 5:04 pm
The best LiPo battery chargers can do more than just charge a battery at one speed. Other popular operating modes include fast charge, balance charge, and storage mode. The more flexible your unit is, ...
- Hybrid Power Plants Are an Inefficient Usage of Battery Technologyon June 26, 2020 at 10:41 am
This basic operational difference has a profound impact on the functionality of the battery. Lithium-ion energy storage is an extraordinarily flexible technology, and the batteries can provide a wide ...
- Lenovo IdeaPad Flex 5 14 review: AMD nails it againon June 26, 2020 at 6:24 am
Lenovo's IdeaPad Flex 5 14 is another in a line of budget laptops using AMD's latest Ryzen 4000 processors. We put it through its paces to see how it stacks up.
Go deeper with Google Headlines on:
Go deeper with Bing News on:
- Global Flexible Heaters Market 2020 - Impact of COVID-19 on Opportunity Assessment, Global Analysis and Forecast Report To 2025on June 26, 2020 at 7:36 am
The report covers a detailed competitive outlook including the market share and company profiles of the key participants operating in the global market. Key players profiled in the report include. FYI ...
- SEMI FlexTech Invites Proposals for Funding Flexible Hybrid Electronics Advancementson June 25, 2020 at 4:01 pm
EMI FlexTech today released a Request for Proposals (RFP) for advanced technology developments of flexible hybrid electronics (FHE) for sensors, power and other key electronic components.
- EastPrint Expands Offerings for Printed Electronics to Include CNT Hybridson June 25, 2020 at 6:11 am
CHASM Advanced Materials, Inc, inventor of AgeNT™ – the leading ITO alternative for transparent printed electronics – announced a partnership today with Eastprint, a premier printed electronics ...
- Flexible Battery Market Worth $296 Million by 2025on June 24, 2020 at 6:32 am
According to a new market research report "Flexible Battery Market with COVID-19 Update by Type (Thin-film, Printed), Voltage, Capacity, Rechargeability (Primary Batteries, Secondary Batteries), ...
- Using wood to develop flexible electronic componentson June 23, 2020 at 5:37 am
Madison are using wood to make flexible microwave circuits found in electronic devices for the purpose of developing flexible electronics. IEEE GlobalSpec websites place cookies on your device to give ...