“This is a quite remarkable spatial resolution.”
Researchers have created tiny holograms using a “metasurface” capable of the ultra-efficient control of light, representing a potential new technology for advanced sensors, high-resolution displays and information processing.
The metasurface, thousands of V-shaped nanoantennas formed into an ultrathin gold foil, could make possible “planar photonics” devices and optical switches small enough to be integrated into computer chips for information processing, sensing and telecommunications, said Alexander Kildishev, associate research professor of electrical and computer engineering at Purdue University.
Laser light shines through the nanoantennas, creating the hologram 10 microns above the metasurface. To demonstrate the technology, researchers created a hologram of the word PURDUE smaller than 100 microns wide, or roughly the width of a human hair.
“If we can shape characters, we can shape different types of light beams for sensing or recording, or, for example, pixels for 3-D displays. Another potential application is the transmission and processing of data inside chips for information technology,” Kildishev said. “The smallest features – the strokes of the letters – displayed in our experiment are only 1 micron wide. This is a quite remarkable spatial resolution.”
Findings are detailed in a research paper appearing on Friday (Nov. 15) in the journal Nature Communications.
Metasurfaces could make it possible to use single photons – the particles that make up light – for switching and routing in future computers. While using photons would dramatically speed up computers and telecommunications, conventional photonic devices cannot be miniaturized because the wavelength of light is too large to fit in tiny components needed for integrated circuits.
Nanostructured metamaterials, however, are making it possible to reduce the wavelength of light, allowing the creation of new types of nanophotonic devices, said Vladimir M. Shalaev, scientific director of nanophotonics at Purdue’s Birck Nanotechnology Center and a distinguished professor of electrical and computer engineering.
“The most important thing is that we can do this with a very thin layer, only 30 nanometers, and this is unprecedented,” Shalaev said. “This means you can start to embed it in electronics, to marry it with electronics.”
The Latest Google Headlines on:
The Latest Bing News on:
- MICE event organisers turn to holograms to make industry COVID-19 safe | Videoon November 26, 2020 at 8:02 am
MICE event organisers are taking to holograms and 3D projections to help their industry take off safely amid the COVID-19 pandemic. Those taking part in such events can have a touch and feel of ...
- This Company Wants to Put a Human-Size Hologram Booth in Your Living Roomon November 25, 2020 at 6:00 am
The person on the other end—the one appearing as a hologram, that is—just needs to have a camera and be standing against a white background.
- Holograms and Post-Mortem Rightson November 24, 2020 at 11:12 am
If you follow pop culture, you might have noticed a new trend crop up—realistic looking holograms of public figures. From Tupac Shakur at Coachella in 2012 to Michael Jackson at the Billboard awards ...
- HOPE XII: Make Your Own Hologramson November 23, 2020 at 4:00 pm
Prior to this weekend I had assumed making holograms to be beyond the average hacker’s reach, either in skill or treasure. I was proven wrong by a Club-Mate box full of electronics, and an ...
- Holograms Can’t Be Too Thinon November 23, 2020 at 4:00 pm
These displays aren’t holograms, they are just showing your eyes two different images like a 3D movie or a stereopticon. However, researchers from Australia and China are hoping to change that.
- The Pitch: Tilt Five brings tabletop games to life with augmented realityon November 23, 2020 at 8:47 am
Tilt Five offers a modern twist on video and board games, bringing holograms to the table with its augmented reality (AR) glasses, wands and board. The San Jose startup recently raised a $7.5 ...
- Hulu uses OOH holograms to bring 'Animaniacs' reboot to lifeon November 23, 2020 at 6:38 am
For the show's debut weekend, animated characters were projected atop taxis and rideshare vehicles at iconic locations in New York and Los Angeles.
- ‘Ranch Water’ is the next big thing in booze, and Snoop is everywhere—including wine brand holograms: Trendingon November 20, 2020 at 1:32 pm
Are you a print subscriber? Activate your account. By Alexandra Jardine - 24 min 1 sec ago By Steve Passwaiter - 58 min 51 sec ago 1 hour 28 min ago 13 hours 28 min ago By Ad Age Staff - 13 hours ...
- The Age Of Holograms May Finally Be Upon Uson November 15, 2020 at 4:06 pm
Technology for creating and projecting holograms might not be at the Star Trek level of recreating entire rooms, but it has been ready for a while. Almost a decade ago, researchers at MIT ...
- 3D holograms are about to be more than just science fictionon November 13, 2020 at 4:01 pm
How about holograms, the Star Wars kind, which don’t require special glasses? TODAY'S AMAZON DEALS: America is running out of N95 masks – get these instead for $2 each The mobile divisions of ...
The Latest Google Headlines on:
The Latest Bing News on:
- ETRI Hologram Technologies won I-zone Best Prototype Award in Displayweek 2020on November 25, 2020 at 9:11 pm
A hologram technology developed by South Korean researchers has won the top prize at one of the world's most renowned conferences on display technologies. It is anticipated that the award will be a ...
- Why WiMi Hologram Cloud Stock Surged Todayon November 24, 2020 at 5:10 pm
Shares of WiMi Hologram Cloud (NASDAQ:WIMI) surged as much as 26% today after the company announced that its WiMi Hologram Soft Light technology has been cleared by regulators for the U.S. market. As ...
- 2020 World VR Industry Conference Revealed the Glorious Future of Hologram AR industry, a Great Opportunity for WIMIon November 23, 2020 at 7:16 am
Tailor Insight, the fintech market research organization, recently released a research report “2020 World VR Industry Conference Revealed the Glorious Future ...
- 5G Hologram black technology shines at CIIE, WIMI leads AR+AI Hologram communication live broadcast applicationon November 23, 2020 at 12:20 am
Tailor Insight, the fintech market research organization, recently released a research report "5G Hologram black technology shines at CIIE, WIMI leads AR+AI Hologram communication live broadcast ...
- WIMI Holographic Academy expects Quantum technology to be integrated into Hologram technologyon November 16, 2020 at 2:39 am
Tailor Insight, the fintech market research organization, recently released a research report "WIMI Holographic Academy expects Quantum technology to be integrated into Hologram technology". At ...
- Help me Obi-Wan Kenobi! Samsung creates slim-panel holographic video displayon November 15, 2020 at 3:28 pm
Just in case you're someday expecting to send out a clandestine, droid-based message calling on an ancient space wizard's assistance to thwart a totalitarian galactic threat, help is on the way!
- Brain Computer Interface + Hologram AR Concept Companies Like WIMI Are Growing Rapidlyon November 13, 2020 at 7:28 pm
Mobius Trend releases a research report “Brain Computer Interface + Hologram AR Concept Companies Like WIMI Are Growing Rapidly”. The share price ...
- Holographic phone screens move a step closer thanks to new technology that increases the viewing angle for 3D videos by 30 TIMESon November 10, 2020 at 8:01 am
The addition of a special backlight and light-tilting mechanism to existing compact hologram technology makes this possible in a very slim form, which is less than 0.3-inch (1cm) thick.
- From Gaming To Holograms, How Tech Is Helping Candidates Campaign In The Metaverseon November 1, 2020 at 4:00 pm
The two holograms danced to a crowd in Iowa. For Yang, “the technology would allow him to see questioners and interact with people in real time.” “They would see my every gesture and ...
- How You Create a Robert Kardashian–Style Hologram—and How Much It Costson October 31, 2020 at 3:47 pm
Reached by Slate, Kaleida director and producer Daniel Reynolds declined to discuss any specifics of the Kardashian hologram, but agreed to speak about the company and its technology more generally.