EPFL’s new convention center is being equipped with an impressive glass façade composed of dye solar cells.
The first architectural integration of this technology is a new step in Romande Energie and EPFL’s partnership to develop a large-scale solar park and conduct research and development projects.
Transparent, colored solar panels, fruits of the Graetzel cell technology, are currently being installed on the west façade of EPFL’s future SwissTech Convention Center, scheduled to open its doors in April 2014. These 1,400 solar modules, each one 35 by 50 cm in size, will combine for a total surface area of 300 m2. The design, by artists Daniel Schlaepfer and Catherine Bolle, calls for 5 different shades of red, green and orange, giving the ensemble a warm, dynamic aspect.
This exterior solar window façade is a world first. The project leverages the potential of dye-sensitive solar cells known as Graetzel cells. In addition to being translucent, they’re indifferent to the angle of incidence of light that hits them; they can be deployed vertically without any loss in efficiency. They not only produce renewable energy, but they also shade the building from direct sunlight, reducing the need for air conditioning. This innovative solar installation is funded by Romande Energie, and will be operational in December 2013.
A first for exterior architectural integration
Dye-sensitized solar cells, invented in 1991 by EPFL professor Michael Graetzel, reproduce the principles of photosynthesis in plants. The photovoltaic glass panel covering the west façade of the SwissTech Convention Center is the world’s first exterior architectural integration of this cutting-edge technology. This visually compelling 300 m2 installation will be a demonstration of the potential of this kind of solar technology and the first step in their large-scale production and use.
Go deeper with Bing News on:
- Solar Orbiter Ready for Science – Completed Commissioning Despite COVID-19 Setbackson June 29, 2020 at 10:05 am
ESA’s Solar Orbiter has successfully completed four months of painstaking technical verification, known as commissioning. Despite the challenges imposed by the COVID-19 pandemic, the spacecraft is now ...
- No, This Is Not A Picture Of A Solar Eclipse Clicked By A Piloton June 24, 2020 at 12:36 pm
A digital artwork of a solar eclipse is being shared as photo showing the recent June 21 solar eclipse. The digital artwork which has existed online since 2017 has been further photoshopped to add an ...
- Solar-powered bungalow in Australia promotes indoor-outdoor livingon June 24, 2020 at 9:32 am
The Elm Street House promotes community connection and indoor-outdoor living with a solar chimney design in Melbourne, Australia. See the photos here.
- Golden State Tint is Now Offers High-Quality Residential and Commercial Window Security Film in Las Vegas, Summerlin NV and Henderson, NVon June 23, 2020 at 10:38 am
Golden State Tint offers an extensive variety of services such as residential solar film, commercial solar film ... and commercial needs and unlike many of their competitors, their window tinting ...
- Pollinator-Saving Solar Panels: Good for Farmers, Good for Businesson June 23, 2020 at 6:15 am
Farmers can get the best of both worlds when investing in solar panels by using that same land for pollinator habitats and other agricultural uses.
Go deeper with Google Headlines on:
Go deeper with Bing News on:
- Thinking of celebrating July 4 with others? Practice smart habits to avoid virus threaton June 29, 2020 at 10:35 am
At a minimum, people should only think of attending places where they can practice social distancing while observing precautions, experts said.
- Boston Celtics: has Marcus Smart subtly been recruiting Isaiah Thomas?on June 29, 2020 at 9:04 am
With the NBA's restart approaching, Marcus Smart drops enormous praise for former Boston Celtics star, Isaiah Thomas. T-minus 32 days until we finally get ...
- School buses in UAE to have tracking system, smart alert systems and remote camerason June 29, 2020 at 6:38 am
UAE school buses will have to upgrade their safety requirements and install remote tracking, smart alert system, cameras and fire extinguishers among others, the Emirates Authority for Standardization ...
- Chromebooks May Soon Support Windows-Like Clipboard Featureson June 26, 2020 at 9:55 am
Copying and pasting from the clipboard may become a whole lot more useful on Chromebooks in the near future. That's thanks to a new feature, recently ...
- How smart signings made Liverpool champions againon June 26, 2020 at 2:31 am
Liverpool's coronation as English champions for the first time in 30 years is the culmination of a dramatic journey since Jurgen Klopp's appointment as manager in 2015. Klopp is the charismatic face o ...