Economists have shed light on the vexed question of whether economic development can buy happiness – and it seems that life satisfaction actually dips among people living in the wealthiest countries.
Politicians are intensely interested in the link between national wealth and levels of happiness among the population, but it is a subject which is still wide open to debate among economists.
A new analysis led by economists Eugenio Proto in the Centre for Competitive Advantage in the Global Economy at the University of Warwick and Aldo Rustichini, from University of MInnesota finds that as expected, for the poorest countries life satisfaction rises as a country’s wealth increases as people are able to meet their basic needs.
However, the new surprise finding is that once income reaches a certain level – around $36,000, adjusted for Purchasing Power Parity (PPP) – life satisfaction levels peaks, after which it appears to dip slightly in the very rich countries.
According to the most recent figures, the UK had a PPP-adjusted GDP per capita of roughly $37,000 dollars.
The researchers find suggestive evidence that this happiness dip in the wealthiest countries is because more money creates higher aspirations, leading to disappointment and a drop in life satisfaction if those aspirations are not met.
Dr Proto said: “Whether wealth can buy a country’s happiness is a major question for governments. Many policy-makers, including in the UK, are interested in official measures of national well-being.
“Our new analysis has one very surprising finding which has not been reported before – that life satisfaction appears to dip beyond a certain level of wealth.
“In our study we see evidence that this is down to changes in the aspiration levels of people living in the richest countries.
“As countries get richer, higher levels of GDP lead to higher aspiration. There is a sense of keeping up with the Joneses as people see wealth and opportunity all around them and aspire to having more.
“But this aspiration gap – the difference between actual income and the income we would like – eats away at life satisfaction levels.
“In other words, what we aspire to becomes a moving target and one which moves away faster in the richest countries, causing the dip in happiness we see in our analysis.”
The study found that people in countries with a GDP per capita of below $6,700 were 12 per cent less likely to report the highest level of life satisfaction than those in countries with a GDP per capita of around $18,000.
The Latest Google Headlines on:
The Latest Bing News on:
- 5 habits that can help you build the self-confidence you need to win at lifeon February 16, 2020 at 2:13 am
Research shows that lack of self-confidence is associated with loneliness and feeling left out, lower life satisfaction and depression. Self-confidence doesn’t always come easy for many people. The ...
- Going the third mile brings satisfaction, joyon February 15, 2020 at 9:00 pm
Who are the persons in your life who go the second and third mile to make your ... Going the second and third mile to help others brings satisfaction and joy. The Rev. Dave Hogsett is a retired United ...
- 'Life is over': South Africans describe the pain of unemploymenton February 14, 2020 at 10:49 am
Unemployment was an extremely negative experience for all the participants. Participants’ anger was mainly directed at the government.
- Gallup Poll: Personal satisfaction reaches a record high | David Moonon February 13, 2020 at 3:02 am
A recent Gallup Poll finds that a record 90% of Americans are satisfied with their personal lives, and 65% of Americans report being “very satisfied,” also a new all-time high. Gallup didn’t poll any ...
- The Importance Of Taking Bae-Cations For Success In Life And Workon February 12, 2020 at 11:42 am
With Valentine’s Day around the corner, it’s a perfect time for you and your partner to take off on a romantic getaway, and you won’t be traveling alone.
- How Your Agency Can Fix the Client Satisfaction Conundrumon February 9, 2020 at 11:40 am
When this happens, your overall client satisfaction is tied to keeping stakeholders happy while still meeting the project’s goals. It’s a tough balancing act, I know, but it’s also a necessary one in ...
- From dogs in the office to employee satisfaction surveys, millennials drive change in the workplaceon February 9, 2020 at 8:10 am
The reality of life is that nothing stays the same ... From a monthly survey to gauge employee satisfaction to being very transparent about survey results and steps taken to address concerns, it’s ...
- How to Stay Together Forever - New Study Reveals The Top Ten Factors That Impact Relationship Satisfactionon February 7, 2020 at 11:00 pm
and what he/she brings to your life - and then express it." Want to assess your relationship satisfaction? Check out the Relationship Satisfaction Test by visiting https://www.queendom.com/tests ...
- Trump supporters are happier people than Democrats new Gallup poll shows as US ‘life satisfaction’ hits new highon February 7, 2020 at 8:38 am
It's the highest of his presidency. "It's likely no coincidence that Americans' heightened satisfaction with their personal life comes as confidence in the US economy and their personal finances are ...
- Life Is Good, Say 90% of Americanson February 7, 2020 at 8:14 am
According to Gallup, “Household income, political party affiliation and marital status are associated with the largest subgroup differences in Americans’ satisfaction with their personal life.” About ...
The Latest Google Headlines on:
The Latest Bing News on:
- Rab McNeil: why I'm dying of happiness, the trials of witchism and soapy troubleson February 15, 2020 at 11:35 pm
Dr Levitin also found that happiness declines in our 30s but picks up again from the age of 54 ... Many of you men of experience will have discovered you can just buy the cheapest washing up liquid or ...
- ‘It’s chocolate. It’s consistent happiness’: Spokandy plays a special role on Valentine’s Dayon February 14, 2020 at 5:04 am
“We’ll have people come in and buy chocolate and say ... It’s chocolate. It’s consistent happiness. We’re selling something fun and that people enjoy.” ...
- Begrudgers should allow other people’s happiness to spark joyon February 12, 2020 at 11:12 pm
... someone else’s happiness and get a warm glow from is a bit like enjoying free happiness I recall my own totally non-scientific example. When I used to wait for a bus home after work a man who I ...
- Peanut Butter Snowballs Are Like Little Balls Of Happinesson February 10, 2020 at 1:26 am
A snowball fight you actually want to be in. Line a medium baking sheet with parchment paper. In a large bowl, combine powdered sugar, peanut butter, butter, graham cracker crumbs, maple syrup and ...
- Can Health and Happiness (H&H) International Holdings Limited (HKG:1112) Maintain Its Strong Returns?on February 9, 2020 at 4:11 pm
Health and Happiness (H&H) International Holdings clearly uses a significant amount of debt ... It does not constitute a recommendation to buy or sell any stock, and does not take account of your ...
- Moments of joy offer Australian football window into happiness revolutionon February 9, 2020 at 8:30 am
There’s delight to be found in the A-League if fans can escape a culture of ‘compare and despair’ ...
- These Heart Shaped Chocolate Box Is The Perfect Valentine Gift, Buy Nowon February 9, 2020 at 5:58 am
The box contains six pieces each of Snickers, Mars, and Bounty. Filled with happiness, this heart-shaped gift pack from Snickers is the perfect Valentine's day gift for your loved ones. These ...
- Buying Happiness: Why Nostalgia In Games Is So Effectiveon February 7, 2020 at 9:00 am
When we re-experience an event, we get a hit of dopamine to our brains and experience an overwhelming emotion and feeling of reward and happiness. Basically ... I still remember waiting in line to buy ...
- 6 Oregon pinot noirs you can buy for $20 or lesson February 5, 2020 at 4:03 pm
The $20 bill: Who knew one gram’s worth of cotton, linen and ink could provide so much pinot noir happiness? These six Oregon pinot ... This is a public service announcement: Buy this wine. Suggested ...
- Saudi prince Mohammed bin Salman still ‘desperate to buy Man Utd’ despite £350m Newcastle takeover approachon February 5, 2020 at 7:50 am
However fans of both United and Newcastle have shown their happiness to satisfy his desire to own an English football club. Some 91 per cent of Red Devils supporters told a recent SunSport poll that ...