So this is where they collared the man they call the Dread Pirate Roberts.
It’s up a flight of stone steps, past the circulation desk and the Romance stacks, over in Science Fiction, far corner.
On a sunny Tuesday in October, federal officers entered the public library in the Glen Park section of this city and arrested a young man who they say ran a vast Internet black market — an eBay of illegal drugs.
Their mark, Ross William Ulbricht, says he is not the F.B.I.’s Dread Pirate Roberts, the nom de guerre of the mastermind behind the marketplace, Silk Road. And the facts, his lawyer says, will prove that.
However this story plays out, Silk Road already stands as a tabloid monument to old-fashioned vice and new-fashioned technology. Until the website was shut down last month, it was the place to score, say, a brick of cocaine with a few anonymous strokes on a computer keyboard. According to the authorities, it greased $1.2 billion in drug deals and other crimes, including murder for hire.
That this story intruded here, at a public library in a nice little neighborhood, says a lot about the dark corners of the Internet. Glen Park isn’t the gritty Tenderloin over the hills, or Oakland or Richmond out in East Bay. And that is precisely the point. The Dark Web, as it is known, is everywhere and nowhere, and it’s growing fast.
No sooner was the old Silk Road shut down than a new, supposedly improved Silk Road popped up. Other online bazaars for illegal guns and drugs are thriving.
And the Dread Pirate Roberts — the old one, a new one, who knows? — is back, taunting the authorities. (The pseudonym is a reference to a character in the film “The Princess Bride” who turns out to be not one man but rather many men passing down the title.)
“It took the F.B.I. two and a half years to do what they did,” the Dread Pirate Roberts wrote last week on the new Silk Road site. “But four weeks of temporary silence is all they got.”
So catch us if you can, the Dread Pirate is saying. The new Silk Road has overhauled its security and “marks the dawn of a brand new era for hidden services,” he wrote.
The question is, can anyone really stamp out the Dread Pirates? Like the rest of the Internet, the Dark Web is being shaped and reshaped by technological innovation.
The Latest Google Headlines on:
The Dark Web
The Latest Bing News on:
The Dark Web
- New Jersey man tried to use ‘dark web’ to hire hit man to kill child porn victim, feds sayon August 14, 2020 at 11:05 am
John Michael Musbach, 31, of Haddonfield, was arrested Thursday and charged with one count of murder for hire. Musbach is accused of paying a fake murder-for-hire website $20,000 in 2016 to kill a ...
- Man hired hitman on dark web to kill child he sexually abused, authorities sayon August 13, 2020 at 8:01 pm
A New Jersey man accused of requesting and receiving sexually explicit images and videos from a child online allegedly paid a hitman $20,000 to kill the child, authorities said.
- N.J. man hired hitman on dark web to kill child he sexually abused, authorities sayon August 13, 2020 at 5:14 pm
A Camden County man accused of requesting and receiving sexually explicit images and videos from a child online allegedly paid a hitman $20,000 to kill the child, authorities said.
- Feds: Convict Sought Dark-Web Hitman to Kill Victim in His Child Porn Caseon August 13, 2020 at 12:49 pm
A New Jersey man previously convicted of a child sex crime is facing new charges: that he tried to hire a hitman online to kill the teenage victim in his case.
- Breach Report’s Dark Web Monitoring and Notification Service Helps Individuals, Businesses and Organizations Checkmate Data Compromiseon August 11, 2020 at 6:52 pm
A cybersecurity firm that provides dark web monitoring services for individuals and businesses, BreachReport.com offers dark web monitoring and notification for individuals, businesses and ...
- A Tor Vulnerability May Have Enabled Dark Web Bitcoin Thefton August 11, 2020 at 3:06 pm
According to recently published research, an attacker has found vulnerabilities in the Tor browser network that might have allowed them to steal Bitcoin from users. Tor was develo ...
- LastPass Adds Dark Web Monitoring to Security Dashboardon August 7, 2020 at 4:52 am
LastPass has announced an addition to its password manager's security dashboard, that the company says will take an even more proactive role in protecting your data online. Now featuring dark web ...
- Much of Russia’s Blockchain Voter Data Is Now for Sale on the Dark Webon August 6, 2020 at 9:45 am
Many Russian citizens now face exploitation on the dark web after their Blockchain voting data was accidentally leaked in early July ...
- LastPass adds new 'Security Dashboard' and dark web monitoring features for passwordson August 5, 2020 at 12:36 pm
LastPass has announced that it is bringing a new 'Security Dashboard' for all users that helps them monitor passwords. It is also adding dark web monitoring for Premium, Families, and businesses.
- LastPass will warn you if your passwords show up on the dark webon August 5, 2020 at 6:03 am
LastPass features a new Security Dashboard that provides an overview of the security of all your online accounts.
The Latest Google Headlines on:
The Latest Bing News on:
- Angoda Lokka: The life and death of a Sri Lankan ‘gangster’ in exileon August 14, 2020 at 12:25 pm
Angoda Lokka alias Pradeep Singh alias Maddumage Lasantha Chandana Perera, an underworld operative from Sri Lanka, who mysteriously landed on Indian shores, has died just as mysteriously leaving ...
- Lockdown Drives Crime Into Digital Realmon August 14, 2020 at 2:34 am
What is also interesting is that even physical, real-world crime is becoming more digital. Companies in the vehicle-recovery and fleet-management space – such as ours – use Internet of Things (IoT) ...
- Hawai'i Opera Theatre To Postpone 20-21 Mainstage Season; Announces HOT Digital Initiativeon August 13, 2020 at 5:06 am
Hawaiʻi Opera Theatre has made the decision to postpone the previously announced 2020-21 Season due to ongoing concerns over the coronavirus pandemic. In conjunction with this announcement, the ...
- Wife's death threat after Hawi murderon August 11, 2020 at 10:40 am
The grieving widow of slain former bikie Mahmoud "Mick" Hawi angrily confronted a Sydney property developer and threatened to kill him hours after her husband's underworld execution, a Supreme ...
- Sword Art Online: Alicization War of Underworld Part 2on August 10, 2020 at 4:34 pm
Sword Art Online: Alicization War of Underworld Part 2? Note: This episode is listed as episode 17 on Crunchyroll and episode 41 on Funimation. With this episode, the series concludes its ...
- Digital devices of Sri Lankan gangster missing, says policeon August 5, 2020 at 11:08 am
Police suspect that the devices possibly used by Angoda Lokka could have be hidden somewhere or destroyed by the accused ...
- Video captures moment police uncover huge cannabis farm run by North East underworld crime gangon August 3, 2020 at 10:02 am
A crime boss jailed for his role in a gang-land shooting is to spend another two years in jail after admitting he ran a cannabis farm empire.
- Military assistance may be sought to execute warrants if police fail to make arrestson August 2, 2020 at 5:22 pm
DSG Peiris demands police upgrade their representation in court By Shamindra Ferdinando The Attorney General’s Department is willing even to consider securing assistance of the military to execute ...
- Underworld figure Andrew Perish, jailed over informant's murder, released on paroleon July 30, 2020 at 2:46 am
An underworld figure jailed for nine years over a conspiracy linked to a murder so gruesome it inspired a series of the Underbelly television show has been released on parole. Andrew Perish has ...
- Coronation Street's Gary Windass brings Oliver's illness into his latest lieson July 27, 2020 at 4:34 pm
Coronation Street spoilers follow. Coronation Street's Gary Windass continues to cover his tracks next week, pretending to have been influenced by Oliver Battersby's tragic situat ...