A major flaw that has gone unrealized until now leaves the $1.5 billion Bitcoin market open to manipulation and a potential takeover, according to a new study by two Cornell University computer scientists.
Bitcoin is a peer-to-peer online currency that is rapidly gaining mainstream acceptance. Instead of exchanging physical coins, users of Bitcoin use the Internet to record money transactions in a global ledger. This ledger is maintained by a peer-to-peer network of computers called miners, who are compensated with Bitcoins for their efforts. Conventional wisdom asserts that Bitcoin is secure against colluding minority groups of miners.
But post-doctoral fellow Ittay Eyal and Prof. Emin Gün Sirer have discovered that the conventional wisdom is wrong. In a paper that was released on ArXiv today, they describe a mining strategy they call Selfish-Mine, which allows a group of colluding miners, known as a mining pool, to earn more than its fair share of compensation. Moreover, large mining pools can use this strategy to increase their revenue even more, at the expense of honest miners.
The implications of this result are devastating for the system, say Eyal and Sirer. Once a selfish mining pool forms, other miners will want to join that pool to increase their revenue. This process could lead to a takeover, where the selfish miners become a majority, control the global Bitcoin ledger, and the decentralized nature of the currency collapses.
Currently, any pool can employ Selfish-Mine and start a mudslide. Eyal and Sirer suggest a practical fix of the protocol that would prevent pools smaller than 1/4th of the system from employing Selfish-Mine. They warn, however, than pools this large do exist today (for benign reasons), and they should be dismantled for the system to be immune to selfish mining.
Go deeper with Bing News on:
- Market Wrap: Some Miners Face an Uncertain Future Despite Rising Bitcoin Priceon May 13, 2020 at 1:40 pm
The dynamics in the crypto markets might shift as miners bow out. “I think some of the miners might be in trouble. They just took a 50% pay cut overnight with prices remaining where they are,” said ...
- CEO at Real Vision Raoul Pal Bets on Bitcoin Up 100x in Next Five Yearson May 13, 2020 at 1:33 pm
Raoul Pal, CEO & Founder at Real Vision, applies the economic cycle theory to predict major disruption of the global financial system will drive Bitcoin to new highs ...
- IOV Labs Ushers in Bitcoin-Based Mobile DeFion May 13, 2020 at 12:50 pm
A financial solution provider based on Bitcoin's network unveiled a mobile-friendly light client, requiring no full node operation.
- Many Ether Whales Might Be Leaving for Bitcoin: Dataon May 13, 2020 at 11:36 am
That's the lowest level since January 2019, according to data provided by the blockchain intelligence firm Glassnode. The whale addresses are down nearly 6% from the December high of 1,115. The ...
- JPM to offer banking services to bitcoin exchanges: WSJon May 13, 2020 at 11:13 am
Founder & Partner Anthony Pompliano joins Yahoo Finance’s Zack Guzman to discuss the outlook for bitcoin as the cryptocurrency breaks above $9K.
Go deeper with Google Headlines on:
Go deeper with Bing News on:
- Put money in hands of consumers not businesses: NYU professor Gallowayon May 13, 2020 at 3:44 pm
If you want to juice the economy, you put money into the system where there's going to be a greater multiplier, which is across lower and middle income households,” NYU marketing professor Scott ...
- What is a money mule scheme?on May 13, 2020 at 2:58 pm
Some scammers are capitalizing on coronavirus-caused money problems by tricking people into serving as money mules.
- All the ice cream we're eating in quarantine — and where to buy pints onlineon May 13, 2020 at 2:58 pm
Insider reviews compiled a list of our favorite ice cream flavors, ranging from wild flavor combos to simple staples, non-dairy options, and soft sorbets, available for delivery.
- Details, format, money for Rory McIlroy and Dustin Johnson vs. Rickie Fowler and Matthew Wolff skins matchon May 13, 2020 at 2:54 pm
The details of this Sunday's TaylorMade Driving Relief charity match between Rory McIlroy, Dustin Johnson, Rickie Fowler and Matthew Fowler at Seminole Golf Club are out, and the entire thing sounds ...
- Live updates: Colleges opening in fall is up for debate; grave alarm raised on economyon May 13, 2020 at 2:52 pm
Some leaders sounded optimism for U.S. colleges reopening in the upcoming academic year, a day after California's public university system announced it will go without in-person instruction for most ...