You probably haven’t used a bitcoin. But from China to Tanzania, the underground currency is everywhere.
Bitcoin, the global digital cryptocurrency that isn’t tied to any central banking authority, has spread like wildfire around the world.
Because it allows for anonymity, much of its rise has been linked to illegal activities, such as on the shuttered drug marketplace Silk Road, and its value has been tied to speculators who ratchet up demand. But Bitcoin is also starting to be accepted as a mainstream form of payment for U.S.-centric sites like OkCupid and WordPress. Last week, even China’s web giant Baidu said it would start accepting Bitcoin payments for a firewall security service it sells. (Bitcoin demand has been growing rapidly in China in recent months, according to Wired).
As Bitcoin use grows, it’s fascinating to track where in the world Bitcoin is becoming popular. That’s exactly what John Nelson, a data visualization expert and cartographer at IDV Solutions decided to do with his map “The United Nations Of Bitcoin,” which maps bitcoin client software downloads since 2008 around the world and breaks them down by different operating systems. A big caveat to his map is that some downloads are anonymous and can’t be traced to a country, so these are left out.
The dots each represent an individual download and track pretty closely with Internet users around the world, Nelson notes–a trend that simply seems to verify the quick spread of Bitcoin in just five short years since it was introduced in a paper written under a pseudonym in 2008. The map below also shows the number of Bitcoin downloads relative to a country’s overall population size, with Canada, the U.S., Northern Europe, and Australia seeing the highest penetration.
Go deeper with Bing News on:
- New Blockchain-enabled Entertainment Platform Lists New Cryptocurrency on OKExon March 24, 2020 at 8:53 pm
Digital Entertainment Asset Pte Ltd (DEA) announced that its cryptocurrency "DEAPcoin", will be listed on OKEx, one of the world's largest ...
- SEC Gets Win in Test of Authority to Regulate Cryptocurrency Saleson March 24, 2020 at 6:35 pm
The Surgeon General has called for hospitals to cancel elective surgeries. MLB players are still receiving Tommy John surgery.
- Meet Jason Paige: Singer, Cryptocurrency Enthusiast, and the Voice of the Pokemon Theme Songon March 24, 2020 at 1:33 pm
You cannot tell the story of this franchise without him, and yet Paige still isn't sure how, exactly, he fits into the legacy at his back. For now, I suppose, the answer is cryptocurrency. "To mine ...
- Brave partners with Binance to enable private cryptocurrency trading in the web browseron March 24, 2020 at 1:20 pm
Why it matters: Cryptocurrencies still don't have nearly the same level of adoption as traditional digital money, but that also depends on what users can do with them in the real world. For instance, ...
- HashCash Consultants to Launch ‘Corona Fund Index Cryptocurrency’on March 24, 2020 at 8:03 am
Blockchain firm HashCash Consultants has announced the upcoming launch of its ‘Corona Fund Index Cryptocurrency.’ HashCash claims that its corona token is inversely correlated to the S&P 500 through ...
Go deeper with Google Headlines on:
Go deeper with Bing News on:
- Bitcoin Daily: Brave Grows Crypto Features With Binance Integration; CoinDCX Backed By Bain Capital, Polychain Capitalon March 24, 2020 at 6:38 pm
Brave has been working with digital currencies and rolled out its Basic Attention Token (BAT) digital currency. Brave will support many digital currencies aside from BAT, like Ethereum, Bitcoin, ...
- Bitcoin on the brink of major breakout above $6,800on March 24, 2020 at 12:42 pm
Bitcoin is approaching the critical $6,800 level of resistance after surging by more than 15% in the past 24 hours. The tremendous move to the upside will come as a surprise to the majority of Bitcoin ...
- Novogratz’s Buying Bitcoin After ‘Volaciraptor’ Ravaged Marketson March 24, 2020 at 8:55 am
Billionaire investor Mike Novogratz is using the recent Bitcoin slump as a buying opportunity. Bitcoin got “terrorized” during the latest bout of volatility tha ...
- The King of Blockchains, Bitcoin Can Become the Foundation for Web 3.0on March 24, 2020 at 8:17 am
Bitcoin remains the undisputed “king” of blockchains. Bitcoin’s dominance has increased significantly since the experimental times of 2017. Bitcoin has survived many attempted forks and “civil wars” ...
- Crypto Up $14B In A Day As Bitcoin Gains 10 Pcton March 24, 2020 at 8:13 am
Following a mass sell-off as markets dropped due to the global coronavirus pandemic, cryptocurrency has rebounded more than $14 billion while bitcoin rallied, gaining 10 percent, according to a ...