Earth is not prepared for the threat of hazardous rocks from space, say astronauts who helped formulate the U.N. measures
When a meteor exploded over Chelyabinsk, Russia in February, the world’s space agencies found out along with the rest of us, on Twitter and YouTube. That, says former astronaut Ed Lu, is unacceptable—and the United Nations agrees. Last week the General Assembly approved a set of measures that Lu and other astronauts have recommended to protect the planet from the dangers of rogue asteroids.
The U.N. plans to set up an “International Asteroid Warning Group” for member nations to share information about potentially hazardous space rocks. If astronomers detect an asteroid that poses a threat to Earth, the U.N.’s Committee on the Peaceful Uses of Outer Space will help coordinate a mission to launch a spacecraft to slam into the object and deflect it from its collision course.
Lu and other members of the Association of Space Explorers (ASE) recommended these steps to the U.N. as a first step to address at the long-neglected problem of errant space rocks. “No government in the world today has explicitly assigned the responsibility for planetary protection to any of its agencies,” ASE member Rusty Schweickart, who flew on the Apollo 9 mission in 1969, said at the museum. “NASA does not have an explicit responsibility to deflect an asteroid, nor does any other space agency.” The ASE advocates that each nation delegate responsibility for dealing with a potential asteroid impact to an internal agency—before the event is upon us.
The next step in defending Earth against dangerous asteroids is to find them, Lu said. “There are 100 times more asteroids out there than we have found. There are about 1 million asteroids large enough to destroy New York City or larger. Our challenge is to find these asteroids first before they find us.”
Go deeper with Bing News on:
Asteroid Defense Plan
- DARPA 'Glide Breaker’: Hypersonic interceptor developed to blast missiles out of the skyon February 22, 2020 at 1:49 am
DARPA has been developing a “hypersonic defense interceptor” system called Glide Breaker since 2018 ... and missile propulsion technologies to the Glide Breaker program.” READ MORE: Astronomers unveil ...
- Japanese space probe touches down on asteroid to collect sampleson February 21, 2020 at 4:00 pm
A Japanese space probe, Hayabusa 2, has touched down on an asteroid more than 300 million ... The space agency's plan is for Hayabusa 2 to lift off Ryugu and touch back down up to three times.
- AI Spotted 11 ‘Potentially Hazardous’ Asteroids That NASA Missedon February 21, 2020 at 5:21 am
to help it with asteroid deflection via its DART mission. NASA has recently expanded its planetary defence protocols, including last year’s unveiling of a bold new plan to protect Earth. In June 2018, ...
- MIT develops plans to deflect "planet-killer" asteroids bound for Earthon February 20, 2020 at 3:14 pm
It's not often the Earth is at risk of being hit by a giant speeding asteroid from outer space ... One of the main purposes of the study was to rethink the problem of "planetary defense," researchers ...
- Here’s how MIT wants to save Earth from killer asteroidson February 20, 2020 at 11:36 am
If science fiction movies have taught us anything, it’s that saving Earth from a killer asteroid is going to take some big drills and probably nuclear weapons. Thankfully, if a particularly large ...
Go deeper with Google Headlines on:
Asteroid Defense Plan
Go deeper with Bing News on:
International Asteroid Warning Group
- Goldman Sachs Is Warning of No Earnings Growth This Year. Here’s How to Prepare.on February 27, 2020 at 8:38 am
In a separate note, UBS European luxury-goods analyst Zuzanna Pusz cut 2020 earnings expectations for the group an average of 14%, assuming Chinese consumption is halved in the first quarter and down ...
- Is Fu Shou Yuan International Group (HKG:1448) A Risky Investment?on February 24, 2020 at 5:04 pm
once said, 'The biggest investment risk is not the volatility of prices, but whether you will suffer a permanent loss of capital. When we think about how risky a company is, we always like to look at ...
- Francophone group in warning over Guinea electionon February 24, 2020 at 1:02 pm
came six days before elections condemned by the opposition as a ploy by President Alpha Conde to stay in office. The OIF said the register included nearly 2.49 million "problematic" names, including ...
- Introducing Perfect Group International Holdings (HKG:3326), The Stock That Dropped 35% In The Last Three Yearson February 23, 2020 at 9:27 pm
In order to justify the effort of selecting individual stocks, it's worth striving to beat the returns from a market index fund. But if you try your hand at stock picking, your risk returning less ...
- NASA Warning: 6 NEOs Including Pyramid-Sized Asteroid Approaching Earthon February 19, 2020 at 5:20 pm
NASA’s asteroid tracking system is currently monitoring six space rocks that are currently approaching Earth. According to the agency’s Center for Near-Earth Object Studies (CNEOS), one of the ...