Several companies are developing or selling robots to aid in installation or cleaning
In a dusty yard under a blistering August sun, Rover was hard at work, lifting 45-pound solar panels off a stack and installing them, one by one, into a concrete track. A few yards away, Rover’s companion, Spot, moved along a row of panels, washing away months of grit, then squeegeeing them dry.
But despite the heat and monotony — an alternative-energy version of lather-rinse-repeat — neither Rover nor Spot broke a sweat or uttered a complaint. They could have kept at it all day.
That is because they are robots, surprisingly low-tech machines that a start-up company called Alion Energy is betting can automate the installation and maintenance of large-scale solar farms.
Working in near secrecy until recently, the company, based in Richmond, Calif., is ready to use its machines in three projects in the next few months in California, Saudi Arabia and China. If all goes well, executives expect that they can help bring the price of solar electricity into line with that of natural gas by cutting the cost of building and maintaining large solar installations.
In recent years, the solar industry has wrung enormous costs from developing farms, largely through reducing the price of solar panels more than 70 percent since 2008. But with prices about as low as manufacturers say they can go, the industry is turning its attention to finding savings in other areas.
Go deeper with Bing News on:
- Inside Afghanistan’s first robot waitress caféon February 16, 2020 at 10:17 pm
"Sometimes, kids jump in joy and surprise when they see the robot bring them food." While robot helpers have become commonplace in Japan, China and even the UAE, they are not a usual sight in the ...
- This Story Gets an Intergalactic Spin in ‘Snow White and the Seven Robots’on February 16, 2020 at 1:55 pm
the plucky princess uses her engineering know-how to rebuild her ruined spacecraft into robot helpers! Can she and her mechanical friends find a way to defeat the Star Queen once and for all? I had a ...
- Can This Fire Fighting Robot Take The Heat?on February 15, 2020 at 4:00 pm
It’s a prime candidate for some robot helpers, and [Ivan] has stepped in with a fun build that, while it won’t be serving in your municipal department any time soon, gets us thinking about the ...
- Amazon discounts Ecovacs and Shark robot vacuums in time for Presidents Dayon February 13, 2020 at 11:00 am
While we can’t forego of all our responsibilities, floor care can at least be the least of your worries with a robot vacuum. This way, you can get vacuuming off the to-do list and actually think of ...
- Amazon’s Prime Now warehouses randomly stock shelves on purposeon February 12, 2020 at 4:00 pm
We’ve all seen images of Amazon’s massive warehouses, which are highly organized, full of people running around collecting products for orders, and increasingly dominated by robot helpers.
Go deeper with Google Headlines on:
Go deeper with Bing News on:
Staff of Robots
- NHS hails next generation of surgical robots to help treat bowel canceron February 20, 2020 at 4:09 pm
Next generation surgical robots have been hailed by doctors as “a leap forward ... cut the need for one additional doctor during operations, freeing up stretched NHS staff to carry out care elsewhere.
- Will we really see delivery robots invading our sidewalks this decade?on February 20, 2020 at 2:07 pm
This means integrating quality of life at work into the design of systems, strengthening the training of staff and developing objectives and indicators that take account of the human dimension of work ...
- Drones and self-driving robots used to fight coronavirus in Chinaon February 20, 2020 at 9:26 am
China is deploying robots and drones to remotely disinfect hospitals, deliver food and enforce quarantine restrictions as part of the effort to fight coronavirus. Chinese state media has reported that ...
- Robots come to rescue of Wuhan hospital staff, make meals for them amid coronavirus scareon February 20, 2020 at 2:06 am
Representational picture Pixabay When the friendly-looking pink robots were donated to the city to provide timely meals to the workers round the clock, the idea came handy for medical staff to treat ...
- ‘TRANSFORMATIVE’ SURGICAL ROBOT BEGINS FIRST NHS PROCEDURESon February 19, 2020 at 11:00 pm
‘TRANSFORMATIVE’ SURGICAL ROBOT BEGINS FIRST NHS PROCEDURES The Western General Hospital in Edinburgh has become the first hospital in Europe to ...