Biohybrid systems allow for new applications in food technology, molecular biology, medical diagnostics, and pharmaceutical industry
Cells, biological circuits, and individual biomolecules organize themselves and interact with the environment. Use of these capabilities in flexible and economically efficient biotechnological production systems is in the focus of the “Molecular Interaction Engineering” (MIE) project. It is the objective to develop printed biological circuits and catalysts for biologico-technical hybrid systems. MIE will be funded with about EUR 3.5 million by the BMBF.
The capabilities of biological systems are based on specific interactions of molecular components. Due to their molecular fitting accuracy, for instance, enzymes allow for certain chemical reactions only. Some proteins bind via specific molecular interfaces to the DNA or other proteins and control processes in complex organisms. Sensors respond to defined molecular signals from the environment. The MIE project focuses on interactions of molecules, technical interfaces, and surrounding solvents.
“Transfer of complex biological mechanisms to printable systems may result in innovative biotechnologies that might be the basis of a number of industrial applications,” Professor Jürgen Hubbuch, project coordinator at KIT, explains. However, conventional, continuous evolution of biological molecules reaches its limits. The key to innovative developments is the specific, adjusted construction of the interaction of complex biomolecules and fusion of these units with technical interfaces. This requires close cooperation of biology, engineering, chemistry, and physics.
The “Molecular Interaction Engineering” (MIE) project combines methods of biotechnology, structural biology, materials sciences, process engineering, and computer simulation. Work is aimed at developing innovative, flexible, and economically efficient biotechnological production systems for molecules. These might then be used in biohybrid systems integrating biological and electronic components. Biohybrid systems allow for new applications in food technology, molecular biology, medical diagnostics, and pharmaceutical industry.
Go deeper with Bing News on:
- Covaxin — India’s first Covid-19 vaccine by Bharat Biotech gets DGCI nod for human trialson June 29, 2020 at 4:53 am
Phase I & Phase II clinical trials demonstrated safety & immune response. The vaccine is being developed in collaboration with ICMR & NIV.
- Philly area’s top stocks: Which public companies thrived - or took a dive - during the pandemic?on June 27, 2020 at 2:09 am
It’s not surprising that cutting-edge biotech companies ranked among the region’s big winners, while sectors that suffered included nursing homes, hospitality, real estate and banking. What follows is ...
- Enforcement Directorate Questions Ahmed Patel Over Money Laundering Caseon June 27, 2020 at 1:44 am
Enforcement Directorate questioned Congress leader Ahmed Patel on Saturday in connection with a money laundering case involving the Sandesara brothers ...
- Akouos raises $213m in its IPO, gains nearly 30 percent on first day of tradingon June 26, 2020 at 1:42 pm
Akouos sold 12.5 million shares at $17, above the original range of $14 to $16, and in line with the upsized share offering and price it filed Thursday morning. On Monday, the company said in a filing ...
- Expert shopping: Antimicrobial face maskson June 23, 2020 at 10:20 am
Shopping for face masks with antimicrobial properties? We consulted medical experts on what you should know before buying.
Go deeper with Google Headlines on:
Go deeper with Bing News on:
Biotechnological production systems
- New method for producing tsetse fly attractants using biotechnologyon June 22, 2020 at 6:17 pm
Saharan Africa. The flies feed on human and animal blood, transmitting trypanosoma in the process - small, single-cell organisms that use the flies as intermediate host and cause a dangerous ...
- Active Pharmaceutical Ingredient (API) Market 2019 Share, Trend, Segmentation and Forecast to 2025on June 21, 2020 at 12:01 am
Active pharmaceutical ingredient (API) Market is a part of the drug that produces a pharmacological effect. Some drugs such as combination therapy have multiple active pharmaceutical ingredients (API) ...
- Fusing α and β subunits of the fungal fatty acid synthase leads to improved production of fatty acidson June 17, 2020 at 2:15 am
Most fungal fatty acid synthases assemble from two multidomain subunits, α and β, into a heterododecameric FAS complex. It has been recently shown that the complex assembly occurs in a cotranslational ...
- Biotechnology: Impact on Biological Warfare and Biodefenseon June 12, 2020 at 5:00 pm
Biotechnological advances already have revolutionized many processes associated with bacterial and viral production as well as purification of proteins from bio-process systems. Many of these ...
- Outlook on the Worldwide Industrial Centrifuges Industry to 2025 - Featuring MSE Hiller, Andritz & Alfa Laval Among Others - ResearchAndMarkets.comon June 3, 2020 at 4:59 am
Moreover, increasing demand from the pharmaceutical and biotechnological industries is also ... the expanding population across the world. Fertilizer production plants require large exhaust systems, ...