Scientists report the first self-healing thermoset elastomer that requires no intervention to induce its repair.
Self-healing polymers mend themselves by reforming broken cross-linking bonds. However, the cross-linking healing mechanism usually requires an external stimulus.
Triggers to promote bond repair include energy inputs, such as heat or light, or specific environmental conditions, such as pH. Self-healing polymers that can spontaneously achieve quantitative healing in the absence of a catalyst have never been reported before, until now.
Ibon Odriozola previously came close when his group at the CIDETEC Centre for Electrochemical Technologies in Spain developed self-healing silicone elastomers using silver nanoparticles as cross-linkers. Unfortunately, an applied external pressure was required and the expensive silver component disfavoured commercialisation. But now they have achieved their goal to prepare self-healing elastomers from common polymeric starting materials using a simple and inexpensive approach.
An industrially familiar, permanently cross-linked poly(urea–urethane) elastomeric network was demonstrated to completely mend itself after being cut in two by a razor blade. It is the metathesis reaction of aromatic disulphides, which naturally exchange at room temperature, that causes regeneration.
Ibon stresses the use of commercially available materials is important for industrial applications. He says the polymer behaves as if it was alive, always healing itself and has dubbed it a “terminator” polymer – a tribute to the shape-shifting, molten T-1000 terminator robot from the Terminator 2 film. It acts as a velcro-like sealant or adhesive, displaying an impressive 97% healing efficiency in just two hours and does not break when stretched manually.
Go deeper with Bing News on:
- Global Polymer Chameleons Market Top Key Players (Business Strategies & Sales Revenue) Analysis Forecast 2020-2025on May 6, 2020 at 9:23 pm
Global Polymer Chameleons Market – Consumption Potential by Volume and Output Value Product Type ( Thermo-Responsive Polymers, Photo-Responsive Polymers, Shape Memory Polymers, Electroactive and ...
- Conductive Polymers Market Size, Status, Growth Opportunity and Business Scenario 2020 to 2025on May 6, 2020 at 5:41 am
Conductive Polymers Market is a valuable source of insightful data for business strategists. It provides the industry overview with growth analysis and historical & futuristic cost, revenue ...
- Basic Research, Interdisciplinary Teams Are Driving Innovation to Solve the Plastics Dilemmaon May 5, 2020 at 3:09 am
From N-95 masks that are protecting health care workers during the COVID-19 pandemic to food packaging found in every aisle of the grocery store, plastics play an essential role in our lives. Nearly ...
- Emerging Applications for Smart Polymers Market 2020 Analysis and Forecast to 2025 | Akzo Nobel NV, Lubrizol, Spintech, BASF SEon May 4, 2020 at 8:06 pm
Smart Polymers Industry Opportunities, Challenges, Strategies, Industry Verticals & Forecasts" offers detailed coverage of ...
- One of the biggest challenges faced by the Apple iPhone and other smartphone makerson May 2, 2020 at 8:25 am
And staffers at the University of California, Riverside, have invented a synthetic, self-healing polymer that can mend itself and get back to its original state when it's been damaged or stretched.
Go deeper with Google Headlines on:
Go deeper with Bing News on:
- Noble metal aerogels enabled by freezingon May 13, 2020 at 12:01 pm
Chemists developed a freeze-thaw method, capable of synthesizing various noble metal aerogels (NMAs) with clean surfaces and multiscale structure. In virtue of their hierarchical structures and unique ...
- Self-Healing Materials Market Growth Analysis, Global Share, Demand By Regions, Types And Analysis Of Key Players- Research Forecasts To 2027on May 13, 2020 at 10:48 am
This report examines the global Self-Healing Materials market size, industry status and prediction, contest landscape and increased prospect. The comprehensive Self-Healing Materials market research ...
- Roadmap for battery research in Europeon May 13, 2020 at 8:44 am
To develop tomorrows batteries, partners from science and industry all over Europe have launched the research initiative BATTERY 2030+. Now, a roadmap defines the milestones in more detail: A joint ...
- Multi-scale structured materials for electrocatalysis and photoelectrocatalysison May 13, 2020 at 6:28 am
As a new class of porous materials, noble metal aerogels (NMAs) have drawn attention for their self-supported architectures, high surface areas and their many optically and catalytically active sites, ...
- Noble metal aerogels enabled by freezing: Multi-scale structured materials for electrocatalysis and photoelectrocatalysison May 13, 2020 at 1:56 am
Chemists developed a freeze-thaw method, capable of synthesising various noble metal aerogels with clean surfaces and multiscale structure. The research provides new ideas for designing various gel or ...