Meet Atlas, a humanoid robot capable of crossing rough terrain and maintaining its balance on one leg even when hit from the side.
And WildCat, the four-legged robot that can gallop untethered at up to 16mph (26km/h).
The robots are part of Darpa’s Maximum Mobility and Manipulation programme.
Darpa says such robots “hold great promise for amplifying human effectiveness in defence operations”.
Referring to Atlas’s ability to remain balanced despite being hit by a lateral weight, Noel Sharkey, professor of Artificial Intelligence and Robotics at the University of Sheffield, told the BBC: “This is an astonishing achievement… quite a remarkable feat.”
This version of Atlas is one of seven humanoid robots Boston Dynamics is developing in response to the Darpa Robotics Challenge.
In December, competing robots will be set eight tasks to test their potential for use in emergency-response situations, including crossing uneven ground, using power tools and driving a rescue vehicle.
Darpa wants to improve the manoeuvrability and controllability of such robots while reducing manufacturing costs.
WildCat can bound, gallop and turn, mimicking the movements of quadruped animals. It is powered by an internal combustion engine.
“It is a shame that such technology is not being developed with other research funding,” said Prof Sharkey, who is also chair of the International Committee for Robot Arms Control.
“We do not know what military purpose it will serve but certainly it is a step towards a high-speed ground robot that could be weaponised to hunt and kill.”
The Latest Bing News on:
- Black Friday sales & deals 2020on November 27, 2020 at 4:27 pm
The biggest shopping event of the year is here. Even though the build up to Black Friday starts earlier and earlier every year, there's still nothing like the day itself, when the best sales and deals ...
- Mass Effect Arsenal: The Combat Mechs of the Mass Effect Universeon November 25, 2020 at 5:22 pm
Combat mechs are robots in the Mass Effect universe that can fight infantry with mechanical precision and ruthlessness. Here are some you should know.
- ReadySight first responder robot can be tossed into sticky situationson November 24, 2020 at 9:44 pm
A long-time purveyor of toys and robo-balls in their many forms, Sphero recently started to eye other applications for its robot technology, including machines designed to help first responders. The ...
- Earthworm-inspired robots may be coming to a farm near youon November 24, 2020 at 1:59 pm
If you want to know the local soil conditions, it would be great if you could just ask an earthworm. Given that that's an impossibility, though, scientists are now working on the next-best thing – ...
- New magnetic spray transforms pills into mini robotson November 23, 2020 at 12:17 pm
Dr Shen Yajing, who led the research team, told New Atlas: ‘Our idea is that by putting on this ‘magnetic coat’, we can turn any objects into a robot and control their locomotion.’ ‘All the raw ...
- New magnetic spray transforms pills into mini robots that can be navigated throughout the bodyon November 23, 2020 at 12:17 pm
A magnetic spray made of polyvinyl alcohol, gluten and iron particles turns objects into robots that can be controlled by magnets. The spray can be applied to pills, allowing doctors to target certain ...
- Iconic Boston Dynamics Robots Seek Stable Employmenton November 17, 2020 at 5:04 am
Human baseball fans weren’t allowed to attend the Fukuoka SoftBank Hawks game on July 7, but that didn’t keep a collection of humanoid robots from supporting the home team with a peppy fight song ...
- Are Robot Dogs Coming to Your Street Anytime Soon? Probably Not.on November 17, 2020 at 4:55 am
Robotics firm Boston Dynamics is changing hands again, highlighting the difficulties of commercializing all-terrain mobile robots.
- BP shares video of robot dog ‘Spot’ on oil platformon November 16, 2020 at 4:07 pm
BP has shared a video of a robot dog being used on one of its oil and gas platforms.“Spot” from Boston Dynamics is on the aptly-named Mad Dog installation.
- Covid-19: U.S. Records 1 Million New Cases in a Weekon November 15, 2020 at 8:11 am
The Streetjournal Magazine is an online investigating media house that specializes on systematic, serious crimes, political corruption or corporate wrongdoing.
The Latest Google Headlines on:
The Latest Bing News on:
- Playstation or Xbox out of stock? It may be a robot's faulton November 27, 2020 at 5:33 pm
Scalpers are using online bots to buy up hot-ticket items this holiday season to resell them at exorbitant prices.
- Can we make our robots less biased than we are?on November 27, 2020 at 11:00 am
Dallas Police Chief David Brown called the decision sound. Before the robot attacked, Johnson had shot five officers dead, wounded nine others and hit two civilians, and ...
- Firefighting Robots Market: Global Industry Analysis by Size, Share, Growth, Trends and Forecast 2020 – 2026on November 27, 2020 at 8:44 am
The GlobalFirefighting Robots Market Shareis expected to rise with an impressive CAGR and generate the highest revenue ...
- Reimagine What It Means to 'Play Smart' With ClicBot, the Most Advanced STEAM Robot Ever Brought to Lifeon November 27, 2020 at 6:41 am
KEYi Tech, an innovative robotics company with expertise in designing and developing STEAM educational robots, today introduced ClicBot, an innovative, intelligent STEAM ...
- M Restaurants hires Champagne-serving robotson November 27, 2020 at 5:50 am
Throughout December two robots, called Bailey and Sage, will serve drinks and offer seasonal greetings and personalised messages at two M sites in London. “Our ethos at M is one of creating ‘joyful ...
- Telecom giant Telia and Estonian robotics company Cleveron team up to bring self-service pods to Estonia’s small townson November 27, 2020 at 5:49 am
The Nordic telecom giant, Telia, and Estonian robotics company Cleveron are teaming up to bring self-service pods that carry Telia’s most popular products to Estonian small towns where having ...
- Robots on the rise as Americans experience record job losses amid pandemicon November 27, 2020 at 3:06 am
The pandemic has left millions of Americans unemployed – including many in the hospitality industry, which has seen a rise in the adoption of new tech ...
- Egyptian inventor trials robot that can test for COVID-19on November 25, 2020 at 1:14 pm
With Egypt facing a second coronavirus wave, an inventor is trialing a remote-control robot which can test for COVID-19, take the temperature of patients, and warn them if they don't wear masks at a ...
- To the moon and beyond: The robots that are blazing a trail for human space explorationon November 25, 2020 at 1:40 am
Motiv Space Systems is designing specialist robotic equipment for the next generation of commercial space exploration, and the extreme off-world environments that astronauts face.
- Humanoid Robot Takes Delivery Of Kia Sonet In Kerala – Videoon November 24, 2020 at 4:30 am
Check out this first-of-a-kind vehicle delivery, involving a Kia Sonet, which was taken by a Humanoid Robot. Kia Sonet was launched in India just a few months ago, and it has alre ...