For many, music is a universal language that unites people when words cannot.
But for those who use cochlear implants – technology that allows deaf and hard of hearing people to comprehend speech – hearing music remains extremely challenging.
University of Washington scientists hope to change this. They have developed a new way of processing the signals in cochlear implants to help users hear music better. The technique lets users perceive differences between musical instruments, a significant improvement from what standard cochlear implants can offer, said lead researcher Les Atlas, a University of Washington professor of electrical engineering.
“Right now, cochlear-implant subjects do well when it’s quiet and there is a single person talking, but with music, noisy rooms or multiple people talking, it’s difficult to hear,” Atlas said. “We are on the way to solving the issue with music.” Atlas and other researchers believe that hearing music has possible links to hearing speech better in noisy settings, another goal of this research.
Atlas and collaborator Jay Rubinstein, a UW professor of otolaryngology and of bioengineering, and members of their labs recently published their initial findings in the IEEE Transactions on Neural Systems and Rehabilitation Engineering. A study on eight cochlear-implant users showed that using this new coding strategy let them distinguish between musical instruments much more accurately than with the standard devices.
The researchers hope to fine-tune the signal processing to make it compatible with cochlear implants already on the market so users can improve their music perception right away. They also are working on algorithms to better support device users’ perception of pitch and melody.
“This is the critical first-step that opened the door,” Atlas said.
Go deeper with Bing News on:
- Osseointegration Implants Market : Global Outlook and Forecast 2020-2025on May 13, 2020 at 6:49 am
The report additionally reviews the market key drivers, restraints, growth signs, challenges, market dynamics, aggressive landscape, and different key aspects related to the global Osseointegration ...
- Already sewing masks? An education agency hopes you'll use this pattern for the deaf and hard of hearingon May 13, 2020 at 6:21 am
When Abby Lewis' daughter Olive, who is deaf, has trouble understanding her, Lewis often points to her own mouth and overemphasizes her words' syllables.
- Read My Lips: Newport Beach teenagers launch nonprofit mask serviceon May 12, 2020 at 6:00 pm
The Dastgheib and Dietrick sisters have been developing masks for the deaf community that have a clear window in the mouth area.
- Cochlear implant sales slump 80pc in Aprilon May 11, 2020 at 1:46 am
Cochlear took a substantial hit to revenue in April, but surgeries are starting to recommence in more markets.
- Dive in Cochlear revenue in line with expectations: CEOon May 11, 2020 at 12:47 am
Hearing implant manufacturer Cochlear has seen its revenue plunge by 60% as elective surgeries were cancelled because of coronavirus. President and CEO Dig Howitt says that while the reduction in ...
Go deeper with Google Headlines on:
Go deeper with Bing News on:
Cochlear implant users hear music
- Cochlear (ASX:COH) share price on watch, weak trading revealedon May 10, 2020 at 5:11 pm
The Cochlear share price is on watch this morning after the hearing aid business announced a trading update. What is Cochlear? Cochlear is one of the world’s leading medical bus ...
- Man with hearing loss could not communicate with paramedics in masks – now he is helping others with the same problemon May 9, 2020 at 11:24 pm
The use of protective masks worn by healthcare workers is more important than ever. However, without effective communication tools, masks can alienate the 48 million people in America who suffer from ...
- Man with hearing loss could not communicate with paramedics in masks – now he's helping others with the same issueon May 8, 2020 at 3:16 pm
A man with hearing loss had a scary experience when face masks worn by first responders made lip reading impossible during a medical emergency. Now he's sharing a solution.
- MRI Compatible Cochlear Implant Market Growth Evolution 2018-2028 by Top Key Players: Cochlear Ltd., MED-EL, Advanced Bionics AGon April 27, 2020 at 10:26 am
flag=B&rep_id=3681 Patient prefer MRI compatible cochlear implant because they can talk and hear on the phone and also enjoy the music while wearing MRI compatible cochlear implant. People using ...
- Cochlear Implant Turned-On Remotely to Give Child Hearingon April 24, 2020 at 9:42 am
Everything went smoothly and the girl can now hear via her newly activated implant. “Usually we do the switch-on of a cochlear implant at our clinic at the University, but with some technical ...