They hope to start clinical trials in cystic fibrosis patients in the coming years.
Cystic fibrosis is a lethal genetic disorder that in France affects one child per 4,500 births. An international team led by scientists at the Institut Fédératif de Recherche Necker-Enfants Malades (CNRS/Inserm/Université Paris Descartes), led by Aleksander Edelman, has recently discovered two new compounds that could be used to treat patients carrying the most common mutation. By means of virtual screening and experiments on mice and human cells in culture, the scientists were able to screen 200,000 compounds and selected two that allowed the causal mutated protein to express itself and fulfill its function. These findings were recently published online in EMBO Molecular Medicine.
Cystic fibrosis is a genetic disorder that affects the epithelia of numerous organs, and particularly those in the lungs, pancreas and intestine. In the lungs, this takes the form of insufficient epithelial hydration, resulting in excess mucus in the bronchi. This mucus retains pathogenic agents and favors the onset of chronic infections and inflammatory conditions that are ultimately fatal to the sufferer.
The disease is caused by mutations in the gene coding for a protein called CFTR (cystic fibrosis transmembrane conductance regulator). This protein, which is essential to ensure the passage of water through an epithelium, is an ion channel that allows chloride ions to pass through cell membranes. To date, about 2,000 gene mutations that cause the disease have been determined, but 70% of cases of cystic fibrosis are due to a single mutation called ?F508. And it is this mutation that is targeted by the recently-discovered compounds.
The scientists used computer techniques to screen 200,000 compounds, looking for those that might interact with a specific zone in the abnormal protein, and found about a dozen potentially active molecules. Using these 12 compounds, they then performed in-vitro tests on human cell cultures and in-vivo experiments on mice showing this mutation. They were thus able to observe that two of these compounds allowed the mutated ?F508-CFTR protein to be trafficked to the membrane and fulfill its role.
The Latest on: Cystic Fibrosis
- Pickering, Ont. mother living with cystic fibrosis approved for miracle drug: ‘I’m in shock’on January 24, 2020 at 6:10 pm
Global Durham’s Frazer Snowdon was there when she took her first dose. A Pickering, Ont. mother fighting cystic fibrosis has received her late Christmas wish. Stephanie Stavros is the first person in ...
- At last! Cystic Fibrosis crusade poster girl Harriet gets wonder drugon January 24, 2020 at 2:53 am
The five-year-old featured on our front page in 2019 as we campaigned for an NHS deal for Orkambi. In April, when we secured the 100,000 petition names to trigger a debate in Parliament, she thanked ...
- Plasma microRNA levels in male and female children with cystic fibrosison January 24, 2020 at 2:35 am
Cystic fibrosis (CF) is an autosomal recessive genetic disorder arising from mutations in the cystic fibrosis transmembrane conductance regulator (CFTR) gene 1. CFTR is a crucial chloride ion channel ...
- Cystic Fibrosis (CF) Therapeutics Market Augmented Expansion to Be Registered by 2020-2029on January 22, 2020 at 11:14 pm
Global News of Cystic Fibrosis (CF) Therapeutics Market Study 2020-2029, by Segment (Pancreatic enzyme supplements, Mucolytics, Bronchodilators, CFTR modulators), Playing a Pivotal Role in Expanding ...
- MC Companies Wins 'Rookie Fundraiser Team of the Year' by the Cystic Fibrosis Foundation For National Sponsorship Impacton January 21, 2020 at 5:19 pm
MC Companies San Antonio has won the Cystic Fibrosis Foundation's 'Rookie Fundraiser Team of the Year' award for their presence as a national sponsor and powerful impact at San Antonio Great Strides.
- Cystic Fibrosis Market 2020 – Segmented by Type, Application and Geography – Growth, Trends, and Forecast (2020 – 2027)on January 21, 2020 at 2:39 am
Cystic Fibrosis Market 2020 Global Industry research report gives a comprehensive analysis of the Cystic Fibrosis industry size, growth factors, demand, global share, key players and SWOT analysis ...
- NHS Cystic Fibrosis Campaign Allowed Six Young Sufferers To Receive Wonder Pillson January 21, 2020 at 2:15 am
Boxes of lifesaving wonder pills were received by six young cystic fibrosis sufferers. This will give them another shot at life.
- Cartwheel for a Cure, a Nassau girls gymnastics event, raises funds for the cystic fibrosis causeon January 20, 2020 at 4:17 pm
Kim Rhatigan, the Section VIII gymnastics coordinator and the Bethpage gymnastics coach, said that Cartwheel for a Cure motivates the girls beyond the results in the gym: To raise awareness for cystic ...
- Fecal dysbiosis in infants with cystic fibrosis is associated with early linear growth failureon January 20, 2020 at 8:10 am
All prices are NET prices. VAT will be added later in the checkout. Leung, D. H. et al. Effects of diagnosis by newborn screening for cystic fibrosis on weight and length in the first year of life.
- 13-Year-Old Cystic Fibrosis Patient Cries With Family Upon Receiving Wonder Pill Trikaftaon January 20, 2020 at 2:30 am
The 13-year-old cystic fibrosis patient finally received the miracle drug. He wept with joy with his family and thanked the drug company for giving him a chance to breathe.
via Google News and Bing News