A generational movement consisting of creative consumers who modify proprietary offerings, and of members of society who in turn use their developments, all without any moral and legal considerations.
Think video and audio mashups, jailbreaks for game consoles, unlocked mobile phones, tuned cars, even ‘hacked’ vacuum cleaners that can now be controlled remotely, via mobile phone apps.
Authors Jan Kietzmann of the Simon Fraser University, Vancouver, Canada and Ian Angell of the London School of Economics, UK, have coined the term “Generation-C”, in the spirit of the well-known Generation-X and others, to encompass these “constantly connected citizens – creative, capable, content-centric, and community- oriented – who collectively communicate, collaborate, copy, co-develop, combine, contribute and consume common content.”
Writing in the International Journal of Technology Marketing, the authors discuss the resulting controversies associated with existing intellectual property rights, and suggest that the future can only bring conflict if such legislation is not changed. Generation-C will only grow as more and more of our products become increasingly modifiable, and as creative consumers freely exchange their ideas for product improvements online. The authors propose that governments and politicians should allow creative consumers’ derivative innovations for the ‘good of society’ and for the benefit of their economies. This is a controversial perspective – one that intellectual property rights owners would rather not debate.
Go deeper with Bing News on:
- Josie Cotton Talks About Great Songs From Bad Filmson May 13, 2020 at 12:04 pm
Josie Cotton, best known for blurring the angst of both liberals and conservatives with “Johnny Are You Queer?,” sees the science fiction claustrophobia arising from the coronavirus pandemic and wants ...
- Generation C: Adriana Belotti – The Bitcoin Evangeliston May 13, 2020 at 5:40 am
But Belotti doesn’t just evangelize about bitcoin at parties. While staying briefly at a friend’s father’s house (“the epitome of a boomer”), she almost convinced him to invest $100 worth of bitcoin ...
- Generation C: Tyrone Ross Jr. – The Financial Adviseron May 13, 2020 at 5:40 am
Digital everything is going to become a thing, and the only thing that’s missing right now is a true global money that’s run on the internet.” ...
- Listen to the voice of Generation C — they have answers for Africa’s futureon May 8, 2020 at 12:00 pm
Many young people already know how to deal with the problems the Covid-19 pandemic has wrought — they have been living with them all along ...
- Coronavirus will define the next generation: What experts are predicting about 'Generation C'on May 2, 2020 at 1:41 pm
Pandemics like coronavirus can be generation-defining events, but experts say it's too early to create a label for those coming after Gen Z.
Go deeper with Google Headlines on:
Go deeper with Bing News on:
Intellectual property rights
- Anne Rice’s ‘Vampire Chronicles,’ ‘Lives of the Mayfair Witches’ Rights Land at AMC (EXCLUSIVE)on May 13, 2020 at 11:00 am
AMC Networks has acquired the rights to Anne Rice’s best-selling book series “The Vampire Chronicles” and “The Lives of the Mayfair Witches,” Variety has learned ...
- AMC Networks Has Purchased the Rights to the Works of Anne Riceon May 13, 2020 at 10:20 am
Rolin Jones (Perry Mason, Friday Night Lights), who recently signed an overall development deal with AMC Studios, will be directly involved in developing projects based on the Anne Rice catalog for ...
- Hard Rock International (HRI) Acquires Full Intellectual Property Rights To Hard Rock Hotel & Casino® In Las Vegas In Deal With Juniper Capitalon May 13, 2020 at 7:14 am
Hard Rock International (HRI) announced today that the world-renowned entertainment and hospitality brand has purchased all rights to the Hard Rock® brand and related trademarks in Las Vegas from ...
- HC puts on hold intellectual property rights authority notice on limitationon May 12, 2020 at 5:29 pm
The Delhi High Court has put on hold the operation of a public notice issued by the intellectual property rights authority giving lawyers and litigants time till May 18 to complete documentation ...
- An Exit Strategy? Start investing in your company’s intellectual propertyon May 12, 2020 at 6:43 am
Efforts to slow down the spread of coronavirus across the world resulted in massive economical and social cost. Tens of millions of people lost their job worldwide, and the numbers keep growing. It ...