The more accurately we can diagnose a disease, the greater the chance that the patient will survive.
That is why many researchers are working to improve the quality of the diagnostic process. Researchers at the Nano-Science Center, University of Copenhagen have discovered a method that will make the process faster, cheaper and more accurate. This is possible, because they are combining advanced tools used in physics for research in biology at nanoscale, two scientific disciplines usually very distant from each other.
Many diseases can be diagnosed using so-called biomarkers. There are substances, for example, that can be measured in a blood sample, which shows that the patient is suffering from the disease in question. These biomarkers are often proteins that are found in very small quantities in the blood, making it difficult to detect them. By measuring them, the diagnosing is more precise and many diseases can be detected very early, before the patient develops severe symptoms.
– We have developed a method in which we optimise the analysis of the proteins. A central point of this method is the use of nanowires to hold the proteins while we analyse them. It is unique, explains Katrine R. Rostgaard, a PhD student at the Nano-Science Center, Department of Chemistry, University of Copenhagen.
Researchers normally use small plates to hold the proteins when they need to be analysed, but by using nanowires, which are cylindrical structures having a diameter of about 1/1000th of a human hair, they add a third dimension to the sample. The nanowires stand up like a little forest, creating a much greater surface area to hold the proteins because they can sit on all sides of the nanowire.
– With greater area, we can hold more proteins at once. This makes it possible to measure for multiple biomarkers simultaneously and it increases the signal, thereby providing a better quality of diagnosis, says Katrine R. Rostgaard about the method, which has just been published in the journal Nanoscale.
Profitable method for diagnosing
The research is done at the nanoscale on small size samples. The forests of nanowires are used to capture the proteins they want to study directly. When examining the proteins, you can reuse the nanowires by performing a multiple tests on the same protein. This simplifies the workflow in the laboratory tremendously in comparison to the conventional method, where researchers have to start over with a new plate to hold the proteins every time they perform a new analysis. In this way, the method helps to make the diagnostic process more environmentally friendly and economically viable for use in, for example, industry.
The Latest Bing News on:
- Microsoft open-sources Lumos, a Python library for automatically monitoring web app metricson June 29, 2020 at 8:45 am
Microsoft's Lumos, which is available in open source, is used to monitor quality metrics within the Skype and Teams engineering departments.
- Dr. Fan: Diagnosing our reaction to Nikola Jokic’s positive teston June 29, 2020 at 8:29 am
Forget the well-being of another human being, it seems fans only care if Nikola Jokic is going to be able to play.
- BRIEF-Roche Launches Algorithm For Diagnosing Lung Canceron June 25, 2020 at 10:17 pm
ROCHE IMPROVES SPEED AND ACCURACY OF NON-SMALL CELL LUNG CANCER DIAGNOSIS WITH LAUNCH OF AUTOMATED DIGITAL PATHOLOGY ALGORITHM * UPATH PD-L ...
- Kenya: Over 1,000 Healthcare Workers to Be Trained on Diagnosing and Treating Heart Disease in Childrenon June 25, 2020 at 12:36 am
Gertrude's Children's Hospital and Rotary International District 9212 have launched a 5-year partnership to train healthcare workers to provide high-quality cardiac care & treatment in the country, at ...
- Armenian-made PCR tests for diagnosing COVID-19 are readyon June 24, 2020 at 2:37 am
ARMENPRESS. PCR tests of Armenian production for diagnosing the novel coronavirus are ready, Minister of Healthcare Arsen Torosyan said on Facebook.
- Over 1,000 healthcare workers to be trained on diagnosing and treating heart disease in childrenon June 24, 2020 at 1:12 am
Gertrude’s Children’s Hospital and Rotary International District 9212 have launched a 5-year partnership to train healthcare Kenya breaking news | Kenya news today | ...
- Diagnosing brain tumors with a blood teston June 22, 2020 at 9:27 am
A simple but highly sensitive blood test has been found to accurately diagnose and classify different types of brain tumors, resulting in more accurate diagnosis, less invasive methods and better ...
- Watch: NZ doctor shares helpful prevention tips & self-diagnosing COVID-19 symptomson June 17, 2020 at 3:20 pm
A doctor from New Zealand has shared a detailed video on how to read coronavirus symptoms, and helpful immunizing tips along with breathing exercises.
- Why at-home smear tests would be a ‘game-changer’ for diagnosing cervical cancer in the UK after Covid-19, according to expertson June 16, 2020 at 12:04 am
Covid-19 means self-sampling is being looked at in some areas as a way to recover the cervical screening programme ...
- Diagnosing and Treating Systemic Racismon June 10, 2020 at 2:03 pm
For physicians, the words “I can’t breathe” are a primal cry for help. As many physicians have left their comfort zones to care for patients with Covid-19–associated respiratory failure ...
The Latest Google Headlines on:
The Latest Bing News on:
- COVID-19 Diagnostics Market Segmented by Application and Geography Trends, Growth and Forecasts to 2030on June 29, 2020 at 1:44 pm
This press release was orginally distributed by SBWire New York, NY -- ( SBWIRE) -- 06/29/2020 -- COVID-19 diagnostics are the emerging diagnostic sets that are increasingly delivered to medical ...
- Paper Diagnostics Market To Reach USD 10.69 Billion by 2027 | Reports and Dataon June 29, 2020 at 8:11 am
The Global Paper Diagnostics Market is projected to reach USD 10.69 billion by 2027. The market is estimated to be fueled up by the increasing use of paper-based testing kits for diabetes and ...
- Global Genomic Cancer Panel and Profiling Markets (2020 to 2024) - Featuring Agena Bioscience, Agilent & Almac Diagnostics Among Others - ResearchAndMarkets.comon June 29, 2020 at 7:53 am
The "Genomic Cancer Panel and Profiling Markets by Cancer and Germline/Somatic Type with Screening Potential Market Size, Customized Forecasting/Analysis, and Executive and Consultant Guides 2020-2024 ...
- Apple supporting COVID-19 diagnostics research on Apple Watchon June 29, 2020 at 7:52 am
Alongside features like hand washing detection, Apple says it is supporting further research to help turn the Apple Watch into a device to fight COVID-19.
- Global In-vitro Diagnostics (IVD) Instruments Market 2020 Industry Emerging Trend, Market Players, Revenue Insights to 2026on June 29, 2020 at 7:28 am
The report provides rational insights along with historical and forecast data to aid in better understanding of ...
- Preparing For The Next Wave With AI-Driven Triage And Diagnosticson June 29, 2020 at 5:21 am
We must track demographic information, clinical presentation, disease progress and cause of death to better understand the novel coronavirus.
- GenMark Diagnostics Announces Commercial Launch of its ePlex® Respiratory Pathogen Panel 2 (RP2)on June 29, 2020 at 4:13 am
GenMark Diagnostics, Inc. (NASDAQ:GNMK), a leading provider of automated, multiplex molecular diagnostic testing systems, announced that its ePlex® Respiratory Pathogen 2 (RP2) Panel is now available ...
- Global Rare Disease Diagnostics Markets, 2018-2019 & 2020-2024on June 29, 2020 at 2:40 am
Stock quotes by finanzen.net Dublin, June 29, 2020 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- The "Rare Disease Diagnostics: Technologies and Global Markets" report has been added to ResearchAndMarkets.com's offering. The ...
- Blood Transfusion Diagnostics Market Size Worth $5.8 Billion by 2027: Grand View Research, Inc.on June 29, 2020 at 2:05 am
The global blood transfusion diagnostics market size is expected to reach a value of USD 5.8 billion by 2027 registering a CAGR of ...
- Hedge Funds Cashing Out Of GenMark Diagnostics, Inc (GNMK)on June 28, 2020 at 1:12 pm
We at Insider Monkey have gone over 821 13F filings that hedge funds and prominent investors are required to file by the SEC The 13F filings show the funds' and investors' portfolio positions as of ...