Georgetown University Medical Center (GUMC) researchers say a compound derived from cruciferous vegetable such as cabbage, cauliflower and broccoli protected rats and mice from lethal doses of radiation.
Their study, published today in the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences (PNAS) suggests the compound, already shown to be safe for humans, may protect normal tissues during radiation therapy for cancer treatment and prevent or mitigate sickness caused by radiation exposure.
The compound, known as DIM (3,3’-diindolylmethane), previously has been found to have cancer preventive properties.
“DIM has been studied as a cancer prevention agent for years, but this is the first indication that DIM can also act as a radiation protector,” says the study’s corresponding author, Eliot Rosen, MD, PhD, of Georgetown Lombardi Comprehensive Cancer Center, a part of GUMC.
For the study, the researchers irradiated rats with lethal doses of gamma ray radiation. The animals were then treated with a daily injection of DIM for two weeks, starting 10 minutes after the radiation exposure.
The result was stunning, says Rosen, a professor of oncology, biochemistry and cell & molecular biology, and radiation medicine. “All of the untreated rats died, but well over half of the DIM-treated animals remained alive 30 days after the radiation exposure.”
Rosen adds that DIM also provided protection whether the first injection was administered 24 hours before or up to 24 hours after radiation exposure.
“We also showed that DIM protects the survival of lethally irradiated mice,” Rosen says. In addition, irradiated mice treated with DIM had less reduction in red blood cells, white blood cells and platelets — side effects often seen in patients undergoing radiation treatment for cancer.
Rosen says this study points to two potential uses of the compound. “DIM could protect normal tissues in patients receiving radiation therapy for cancer, but could also protect individuals from the lethal consequences of a nuclear disaster.”
Go deeper with Bing News on:
- 10 Best Radiation Shields For Cellson March 24, 2020 at 2:44 pm
Product Name Popularity Score Quality Score Sentiment Score Sales Volume; 1: 6 Pack - Anti EMF Radiation Protection Shield Sticker, Radiation Neutralizer Shield Blocker ...
- Global Radiation Protection Textile Market Size, Competitive Landscape, Regional Outlook and Driving Factors Analysis 2020on March 24, 2020 at 2:42 am
According to HJ Research s latest research report the global Radiation Protection Textile market is estimated to be valued at XX Million US in 2019 and is projected to reach XX Million US by 2026 ...
- Take a look at the Cybertruck-inspired, post-apocalyptic bunker designed to protect against a nuclear threat, zombie invasion, or viral outbreakon March 23, 2020 at 2:06 pm
Russia-based Modern House designed Cyberhouse Life due to customer requests for a protection system against the coronavirus pandemic.
- Plasminogen is a master regulator and a potential drug candidate for the healing of radiation woundson March 23, 2020 at 7:22 am
Around 95% of cancer patients undergoing radiotherapy experience cutaneous side effects, and some develop radiation wounds or fibrosis. Currently, there is no effective treatment for these indications ...
- First European Experiment For Gateway Will Monitor Radiation In Deep Spaceon March 22, 2020 at 11:31 pm
We need to know more about where and how these particles form, to protect astronauts.” NASA’s first investigation to fly aboard the Gateway is a Sun-oriented space weather experiment to observe solar ...
Go deeper with Google Headlines on:
Go deeper with Bing News on:
Lethal doses of radiation
- Emerging Applications of Stereotactic Body Radiation Therapy for Head and Neck Canceron March 19, 2020 at 5:00 pm
Improvements in CT-based simulation, immobilization, treatment planning and image-guided radiation therapy provide the ability to deliver high doses of radiation per fraction as they improve set ...
- The Physics Of Healing: Radiation Therapyon March 19, 2020 at 5:00 pm
while the surrounding normal tissues are spared lethal doses. The machines used to deliver external beam radiation therapy can be immensely complicated. Not only do they have to generate extremely ...
- The myth of cows | Guest Opinionon March 16, 2020 at 1:24 pm
According to the World Health Organization, the highest recorded dose rate outside the Fukushima facilities is too low to ... By government order, another 1,500 were put down by lethal-injection. None ...
- This Explains Why Russia's City-Destroying Tsar Bomba Was Only Tested Onceon March 14, 2020 at 12:57 am
Within five miles of ground zero, everyone not killed by the blast and heat would receive a lethal dose of 500 rems of high-energy radiation. Up to 20 miles away from the detonation, the blast wave ...
- Treatment of Acute Myeloid Leukemia With Hematopoietic Stem Cell Transplantationon March 13, 2020 at 5:00 pm
Allotransplantation provides the ability to use otherwise lethal doses of radiation and chemotherapy, as well as a unique immune effect to eradicate leukemia. Technical improvements have made ...