Glasses that can automatically translate foreign menus into the wearer’s own language have been unveiled in Japan.
The next-generation spectacles were revealed at a gadget fair on the outskirts of Tokyo and could be available in time for the city’s hosting of the Olympics in 2020.
By using augmented reality the glasses can project text in the wearer’s native tongue over unfamiliar signs and menus, potentially proving invaluable for British tourists whose grasp of Japanese is limited.
The invention may be particularly useful for those who journey beyond the most popular destinations in Japan where foreign-language menus are rarely found.
In a statement Japanese telecoms firm NTT Docomo, the company behind the glasses, said: “Character recognition technology enables instant language translation for users travelling abroad and reading restaurant menus and other documents.”
Another function the smart glasses can perform is turning any flat surface into a touchscreen with the wearer using a finger ring to activate animated tags.
The gadget, unveiled at a preview of the Ceatec electronics trade show in the Tokyo suburb of Chiba, is also wired with facial recognition software that can bring up someone’s name and job title when you meet them.
The Latest on: Augmented reality
- Brit band Bastille shock commuters in world's first 5G powered augmented reality concerton December 2, 2019 at 11:30 am
People in three different cities were able to watch the gig simultaneously thanks to augmented reality. The band played the hit Pompei at Birmingham's New Street Station to commuters, which was ...
- Global Augmented Reality & Mixed Reality...on December 2, 2019 at 10:18 am
The "Augmented Reality & Mixed Reality Market - Growth, Trends, and Forecast (2019 - 2024)" report has been added to ResearchAndMarkets.com's offering. The augmented reality & mixed reality market is ...
- Global Augmented Reality and Virtual Reality Market Size, Industry- Detailed Analysis of Current Industry Figures with Forecasts Growth By 2025on December 2, 2019 at 3:58 am
Dec 02, 2019 (AmericaNewsHour) -- Market Study Report Provides A Detailed Overview Of Augmented Reality and Virtual Reality Market With Respect To The Pivotal Drivers Influencing The Revenue Graph Of ...
- Automotive Augmented Reality Market 2016-2022 / Development, Revenue, Demand And Forecaston December 1, 2019 at 9:52 pm
Dec 02, 2019 (AmericaNewsHour) -- Augmented reality displays are a more intuitive and safer way to use navigation, access information, make calls, and listen to music without moving the eyes away from ...
- 500+ Wineries Add Augmented Reality to Labels en Masseon November 27, 2019 at 4:06 pm
AR Platform Purpose Built for Mass Adoption of Augmented Reality - according to Winerytale GEELONG WEST, Australia, Nov. 27, 2019 /PRNewswire/ -- Augmented reality and artificial intelligence are ...
- This Shifu Orboot Augmented Reality Earth Globe Is 30% Today for Black Fridayon November 26, 2019 at 8:58 am
If you have kids and have ever wanted to put the world in their little hands, the Shifu Orboot Earth might be the augmented reality globe for you and right now, it's 30% off on Amazon. Aimed at kids ...
- How Augmented Reality and Artificial Intelligence Are Helping Entrepreneurs Create a Better Customer Experienceon November 25, 2019 at 9:55 am
Some of them can even look at multiple different subjects at the same time and figure out many things about them. It's the future. Related: The Future of Augmented Reality (Infographic) How soon do ...
- Actor Kenney Myers Wants YOU to Binge Watch in Augmented Realityon November 23, 2019 at 1:00 pm
View photos With the recent release of ARCore and ARKit from Google and Apple respectively, Myers came to the realization that it is truly possible for almost every viewer to get an enhanced ...
- Snap and Verizon are partnering on new augmented reality tools for 5Gon November 22, 2019 at 7:17 am
Snap and Verizon announced a new partnership that will leverage Verizon's 5G cellular network for the creation of new augmented reality features.
- Verizon and Snap team up for Snapchat 5G augmented reality featureson November 21, 2019 at 6:45 am
Over the past few years, Snapchat has become one of the world’s most popular soft augmented reality tools, adding photo and video filters that apply special effects to faces or buildings in real time.
via Google News and Bing News