Maybe digital technology is a neutral medium, conveying all our thoughts and feelings equally well.
Or maybe, as tech hype tells us, our apps and gadgets skew positive, liberating us to do good and be better. But this paper suggests otherwise. According to its analysis millions of posts on Weibo (China’s answer to Twitter), there is one emotion that spreads much more widely and quickly across the social network than any other. And that emotion is anger.
The authors—Rui Fan, Jichang Zhao, Yan Chen and Ke Xu of Beihang University—crunched through 70 million tweets posted on on Weibo in 2010, mapping both interactions among users and four key emotions they were expressing. (They began by using emoticons that expressed sadness, joy, disgust and anger, then used those to train a software agent to spot the characteristic language of each emotion in other, non-emoticonned tweets.) With this analytic framework, they had a way to characterize the emotions expressed in any given tweet and to map how that tweet was replied to and retweeted. They could then look for correlations between the mood of a tweet and the extent to which it was spread in the social network. That’s one of their figures above, illustrating this post: A network of Weibo tweeters, all of whom has at least 30 interactions with each other. Each point is a tweeter, each line is an interaction between tweeters, and the colors indicate the dominant sentiment that the tweeter put forth in the time sampled. Red is anger, green is joy, blue is sadness and black marks disgust.
The Latest Bing News on:
Social Networks Spread Anger
- Tim Tebow Launches A New Social Media App Meant To Stop The Trollson November 25, 2020 at 5:56 am
Make them give out a credit card number. It’s an innovative approach, but before we dive into what makes the app special, here’s a little background on troll behavior that might help. In recent years, ...
- Post-Trump, his party and his favorite network have to figure out their relationship with realityon November 23, 2020 at 5:33 pm
It remains my theory to this day that Donald Trump’s advantage in the 2016 Republican nomination contest was that he was willing to parrot often-false conservative media rhetoric that the party ...
- Disinformation on Social Media Is Threat to Democracy, Rappler CEO Sayson November 19, 2020 at 9:15 am
Maria Ressa says what she’s living through is Kafkaesque. The crusading Filipina journalist received a John Aubuchon Press Freedom Award on Wednesday from the National Press Club in Washington, D.C.
- 'They are scared': Armenians flee Istanbul amid anger over Nagorno-Karabakhon November 11, 2020 at 12:55 am
Since the conflict began around six weeks ago, anger and protests have ... have turned to an underground network established by word-of-mouth and social media to spirit them out of Turkey.
- Attacks in France Point to a Threat Beyond Extremist Networkson November 6, 2020 at 7:44 am
Signs of radicalization, if at all visible, were expressed on social media ... rather than Islamist extremist networks — raising tough questions about whether the broad measures the government ...
- Confusion and conflict stir online as Trump claims victory, questions states’ efforts to count ballotson November 4, 2020 at 7:42 am
Far-right influencers lined up behind Trump, praising him for going “on offense” and lashing out at social networking services ... giants to slow the spread of the baseless allegations were ...
- The Subreddit /r/Collapse Has Become the Doomscrolling Capital of the Internet. Can Its Users Break Free?on November 2, 2020 at 2:04 pm
Confined to his home by stay-at-home orders, he began spending more time on the social network Reddit ... audience comes a greater opportunity to spread the word. But where the subreddit used ...
- How to Stay Creative When Life Feels Monotonouson November 1, 2020 at 4:00 pm
Broaden your network; and 5) Spend time in nature. Over the last seven months, as the Covid-19 virus has continued its spread, our worlds have become smaller. Working from home has morphed from a ...
- How Russian Propaganda Spreads On Social Mediaon October 29, 2020 at 12:05 am
Facebook, Google and Twitter head to Washington this week for their first public congressional hearings on Russian interference in the 2016 presidential campaign via their social networks.
- How Far Might Trump Go?on October 28, 2020 at 2:00 am
On election night and the days that follow, the country may be in for a roller-coaster ride, with ups and downs that raise and dash expectations, provoking anger ... use social media to spread ...
The Latest Google Headlines on:
Social Networks Spread Anger
The Latest Bing News on:
- RealtyFeed Social Network Aims to Empower Real Estate Professionals in the Digital Transformationon November 27, 2020 at 1:52 am
Technology is probably one of the most dynamic and evolving aspects of human life. MLS, RETS, and RESO Web API are examples of successful technological innovations in the ...
- The Social Network SHOULDN'T Get a Sequelon November 26, 2020 at 2:51 pm
Despite years of Aaron Sorkin's interest, a sequel to The Social Network would be both difficult and unnecessary.
- Former President of BET Networks to Launch New Social Media Networkon November 25, 2020 at 3:59 am
With Covid cases on the rise and a deepening divide in our country, there is one company who is launching an app with the goal of unifying ...
- While Twitter was buzzing about a fake Parler data leak, a hacker says he actually breached some user data from the conservative social networkon November 24, 2020 at 4:00 pm
Hackers took data from a Parler email vendor, but the security of the platform itself is intact, the company's CEO says.
- Exclusive women’s social network sold to Ann Shoket’s New Power Mediaon November 24, 2020 at 1:14 pm
TheLi.st — an oddly named, 10-year-old social network that has been linking successful women with up and comers — has been sold to New Power Media, headed by Ann Shoket, the author and ...
- Porn bots are taking over the film social networking website Letterboxdon November 24, 2020 at 12:47 pm
Letterboxd, the social networking site that allows users to review films and interact with other cinephiles, has fallen prey to the porn bot.
- 'Free Speech' Social Network Parler Allegedly Censoring #WriteInTrumpforGAon November 24, 2020 at 8:53 am
Social network Parler has allegedly hidden posts on its website that are tagged as #WriteInTrumpForGA. The hashtag is encouraging disgruntled supporters of President Donald Trump to write the ...
- Instagram in an Instant: Understanding the Social Network [Infographic]on November 24, 2020 at 6:08 am
Check out this infographic to understand how Instagram, one of the most popular social networks worldwide, works and what it can do.
- Roll Your Own Photo Sharing, Minus The Social Networking Baggageon November 23, 2020 at 7:17 pm
Niklas Roy] rolled his own photo diary, because he found the core functionality of something like instagram attractive, but didn’t want the social network baggage that it came with. His ...
- Social Networking Market Futuristic Comprehensive Insights with COVID-19 Impact Analysis | Facebook Inc., Flickron November 20, 2020 at 11:21 pm
Corona Virus pandemic impact on the market which has affected every aspect of life globally. This has brought along several changes in market conditions and the Business areas. The rapidly changing ...