Maybe digital technology is a neutral medium, conveying all our thoughts and feelings equally well.
Or maybe, as tech hype tells us, our apps and gadgets skew positive, liberating us to do good and be better. But this paper suggests otherwise. According to its analysis millions of posts on Weibo (China’s answer to Twitter), there is one emotion that spreads much more widely and quickly across the social network than any other. And that emotion is anger.
The authors—Rui Fan, Jichang Zhao, Yan Chen and Ke Xu of Beihang University—crunched through 70 million tweets posted on on Weibo in 2010, mapping both interactions among users and four key emotions they were expressing. (They began by using emoticons that expressed sadness, joy, disgust and anger, then used those to train a software agent to spot the characteristic language of each emotion in other, non-emoticonned tweets.) With this analytic framework, they had a way to characterize the emotions expressed in any given tweet and to map how that tweet was replied to and retweeted. They could then look for correlations between the mood of a tweet and the extent to which it was spread in the social network. That’s one of their figures above, illustrating this post: A network of Weibo tweeters, all of whom has at least 30 interactions with each other. Each point is a tweeter, each line is an interaction between tweeters, and the colors indicate the dominant sentiment that the tweeter put forth in the time sampled. Red is anger, green is joy, blue is sadness and black marks disgust.
The Latest Bing News on:
Social Networks Spread Anger
- IMPD targets illegal parties where virus may spread. One, some fear, ended a girl’s life.on May 4, 2020 at 10:26 am
A bullet struck 16-year-old Nya Cope in the head just a short distance from a gathering that attracted large groups to an east side parking lot.
- How anti-5G anger sparked a wave of arson attacks across Europeon April 30, 2020 at 8:55 pm
Conspiracy theory-fueled opposition to the technology bubbled online for years. Then the coronavirus outbreak hit.
- U.N. chief: Extremists using COVID-19 to recruit young people onlineon April 28, 2020 at 5:27 am
U.N. Secretary-General Antonio Guterres warned Monday that extremist groups are taking advantage of COVID-19 lock downs to intensify social media efforts to spread hatred and recruit ... extremist ...
- Indian Stupidities Anger Arabson April 21, 2020 at 12:01 am
compared the situation in the country to a ‘social emergency’ but did not mention how Muslims were being targeted as a result of rumour mongering and fake news spread by news channels and ...
- China-Thailand coronavirus social media war escalateson April 14, 2020 at 5:56 am
Social media anger from Chinese nationalists over a Thai ... was unique in volume and regional spread at a time when more daily life has been forced online. "This is the first transnational ...
- Insta-star wars: China tensions in Southeast Asia flare onlineon April 14, 2020 at 4:25 am
BANGKOK (Reuters) - Social media anger from Chinese nationalists over ... was unique in volume and regional spread at a time when ever more of life has been forced online.
- Coronavirus headlines: As Wuhan emerges from coronavirus lockdown, residents are finally lining up to bury their deadon April 11, 2020 at 4:52 am
“Inside, I’m filled with grief, and anger.” Less than three months ... funeral homes were quickly censored on Chinese social networks and received little coverage on state media, only ...
- Local official offers mental health tipson April 9, 2020 at 2:05 am
PLATTSBURGH — Based on calls to the Clinton County Health Department, anxiety surrounding COVID-19 and whether public health measures are helping to slow the spread appear to be on the rise.
- Coronavirus: anti-Chinese conspiracy theories go viral in India, amid frayed tieson March 16, 2020 at 6:13 am
s social media networks – from messaging groups to YouTube ... the Chinese authorities are killing citizens to prevent the spread of Covid-19, false “advisories” in the name of Unicef ...
The Latest Google Headlines on:
Social Networks Spread Anger
The Latest Bing News on:
- Canada ties for #1 in the world for fastest mobile network speedson May 13, 2020 at 4:37 pm
Canada’s 4G download speeds were heralded as fastest in the world, tied only with South Korea in Opensignal’s State of Mobile Network Experience 2020 report1. Most notably, Canada’s average 4G ...
- How To Build Your Network During The Pandemicon May 13, 2020 at 1:42 pm
How do you continue to maintain the same career momentum when networking events cease to exist altogether for the foreseeable future? Is it possible to establish the same level of trust with someone ...
- French parliament passes law requiring social media companies delete certain content within an houron May 13, 2020 at 1:02 pm
Social media platforms will now have 24 hours to remove hate speech, and just one hour to remove chid pornography and terrorist content or face hefty fines.
- Anti-Vaxxers’ Social Networks are Ripe With People Susceptible to Their Misinformationon May 13, 2020 at 9:19 am
As the world waits for a COVID-19 vaccine, an anti-vaccination movement is gaining steam online.
- Alton Brown, Food Network Superstar, on What to Watch During Social Distancingon May 12, 2020 at 5:17 pm
We don’t have a vaccine, we don’t know when we’re going to get a vaccine, but we can at least have emotional anti-venom." ...
- How to build up your professional network in the era of social distancingon May 12, 2020 at 11:51 am
A version of this story appeared in CNN's Work Transformed newsletter. To get it in your inbox, sign up for free here.
- Social Networks See Boosts in Engagement Among US Users, but Not Equallyon May 12, 2020 at 9:51 am
For this forecast, we estimated total social network time* spent among adult users, which includes breakouts for adult users of Facebook, Instagram and Snapchat. Compared with our previous forecast in ...
- Coronavirus has revealed the power of social networks in a crisison May 12, 2020 at 8:04 am
The declaration of the novel coronavirus as a pandemic was a call to arms for governments to take urgent and immediate action. However, many feel the response from some countries was too little, too ...
- Sun Kissed Industries, Inc. Acquires PushNote, A Digital Affiliate Marketing Company Positioned In The Fast-Growing Social Networking Industryon May 12, 2020 at 4:08 am
Sun Kissed Idustries, Inc. (OTC: SKDI) said large industry players see PushNote as a multi-use news/special interest content and affiliate marketing platform. Identifying the content and advertising ...
- Social network for moms sees surge in users amid lockdownon May 9, 2020 at 9:24 am
Peanut, a London-based social network for current or mothers-to-be, is seeing a spike in engagement as mothers look to balance work and life.