Prosocial bonuses increase employee satisfaction, team performance
Providing employees with a bonus to spend on charities or co-workers may increase job satisfaction and team sales, according to results published September 18 in the open access journal PLOS ONE by Lalin Anik from the Fuqua School of Business at Duke University and colleagues from other institutions.
In the first of three studies, some employees at an Australian bank were given a 25-dollar or a 50-dollar voucher to donate to a charity of their choice on behalf of the company. Employees who donated the larger amount to charity reported enhanced happiness and job satisfaction, compared to those who did not donate to charity or donated the smaller amount.
In subsequent experiments, the researchers measured the performance of 11 sports teams in Canada and 14 pharmaceutical sales teams in Belgium after receiving bonuses. A third of each team was selected to receive 20 dollars to spend either on themselves, or on their teammates. In both experiments, the researchers found that when participants spent their bonuses on teammates, the whole team performed significantly better than when individuals spent their bonuses on themselves. The increase in team performance may also increase earnings as a whole, the study suggests. In the case of pharmaceutical sales, for every ten dollars given to a team member to spend on their colleagues, the team received 52 dollars in sales. Anik elaborates, “The results across three studies suggest that a minor adjustment to employee bonuses – shifting the focus from the self to others – can create more altruistic, satisfying, and productive workplace.
The Latest Bing News on:
- Sharing how team members are helping each other can keep co-operation aliveon May 8, 2020 at 7:00 am
The common practice of ranking employees against one another comes with a downside: people may be less inclined to co-operate with co-workers for fear of losing ground themselves.
- 12 Ways to Wake Up Happier Tomorrow Morning (and Every Morning)on April 28, 2020 at 2:49 pm
Call a friend Humans are pro-social beings, so having real ... the chief scientist of the website happify.com. For an extra bonus, exercise outdoors since being in nature also benefits your ...
- Nickelodeon Launches #KidsTogether--A Global Prosocial Initiative to Help Kids and Families Stay Informed and Engaged Withon April 23, 2020 at 7:47 pm
Before it's here, it's on the Bloomberg Terminal.
- Missing your friends? Rereading Harry Potter might be the next best thingon April 22, 2020 at 6:00 am
Humans are innately social creatures. But as we stay home to limit the spread of COVID-19, video calls only go so far to satisfy our need for connection.
- Esports And STEM Education: A 2020 Perspectiveon April 16, 2020 at 4:24 am
Using data and evidence: Esports players gather data on timing and probability to plan faster speed runs, maximize the odds of finding in-game bonuses and generally fine-tune performance based on ...
- Extrinsic vs. Intrinsic Motivation at Workon April 11, 2020 at 12:31 pm
Companies around the world use plaques, trophies, or bonuses to try to get more out of their employees. They try to motivate them to work harder through what amounts to basic bribery. And when you ...
- Extroverts Are More Likely To Be Romantically Satisfied — That Is, Unless You Are A Womanon April 10, 2020 at 5:00 pm
Alternatively, conscientious women were more likely than conscientious men to exhibit pro-social behaviors. The researchers also explored the personality dimension of “openness,” or the degree ...
- Peer-Reviewed Publicationson March 22, 2020 at 1:36 am
Wiwad, D., Piff, P. K., Robinson, A. R. Aknin, L. B., Mercier, B., Shariff, A. (2020). Shifting attributions for poverty motivates opposition to inequality and ...
- Prosocial Bonuses Increase Employee Satisfaction and Team Performanceon January 5, 2018 at 6:07 am
In two field studies, we explore the impact of providing employees and teammates with prosocial bonuses, a novel type of bonus spent on others rather than on oneself. In Experiment 1, we show that ...
The Latest Google Headlines on:
The Latest Bing News on:
- Reader poll: What factors are most important for police officer job satisfaction?on May 13, 2020 at 2:42 pm
Selecting an employer is one of the most important decisions you’ll ever make in your law enforcement career. The decision to leave an employer, especially before reaching retirement, might be just as ...
- Invest in WORK as More Companies Give Employees Some 'Slack'on May 11, 2020 at 9:44 am
It could lead to more job satisfaction, though, if employees are able to work from home several days per week from now until another paradigm change hits us. For now, I still believe Slack is a place ...
- The worst things about being an Amazon employeeon May 7, 2020 at 12:12 pm
Amazon worker horror stories are nothing new, but low wages are merely one of the worst things about being an Amazon employee.
- Happy employees are your customer experience secret weaponon May 7, 2020 at 11:15 am
While customer experience is predicted to overtake price and product as a key differentiator, the importance of employee experience has been left behind.
- Losing your own business is worse than losing a salaried jobon May 7, 2020 at 7:25 am
While losing a salaried job is terrible for one’s psychological well-being, losing one’s business is even worse.
- How Using Games Can Help Leaders Ensure Virtual Employees Feel Valuedon May 6, 2020 at 4:34 am
With employees across the world working from home now, these tried-and-true strategies are no longer feasible. The number of knowledge workers who have transitioned to remote work increased to nearly ...
- Over half of US SMBs plan to maintain remote working for employeeson May 5, 2020 at 11:57 am
Small and midsize business owners believe working remotely is here to stay post-pandemic, according to a newly released survey by Intermedia.
- Maintain Customer and Employee Satisfaction Remotely with AI Interpretive and Predictive Analyticson April 27, 2020 at 8:43 am
The use of artificial intelligence and smart AI-based analytics in contact centres is making it possible to effectively monitor employee performance and customer satisfaction while making intelligent ...
- Job Satisfaction vs Salary: Which Matters More?on April 26, 2020 at 6:53 am
If a well-paying job comes your way, job satisfaction is probably the last thing on your mind. At that point in your life, paying your bond, levies, home insurance and car instalments may matter ...
- Coronavirus outbreak: Here's how companies are ensuring employee satisfaction amid Covid-19 crisison April 16, 2020 at 1:42 am
With the Covid-19 pandemic continuing to sweep the globe, the Indian central government took swift action by implementing a nationwide lockdown in late March. Originally announced as a three-week ...