North Carolina State University researchers have developed a way for search engines to provide users with more accurate, personalized search results.
The challenge in the past has been how to scale this approach up so that it doesn’t consume massive computer resources. Now the researchers have devised a technique for implementing personalized searches that is more than 100 times more efficient than previous approaches.
At issue is how search engines handle complex or confusing queries. For example, if a user is searching for faculty members who do research on financial informatics, that user wants a list of relevant webpages from faculty, not the pages of graduate students mentioning faculty or news stories that use those terms. That’s a complex search.
“Similarly, when searches are ambiguous with multiple possible interpretations, traditional search engines use impersonal techniques. For example, if a user searches for the term ‘jaguar speed,’ the user could be looking for information on the Jaguar supercomputer, the jungle cat or the car,” says Dr. Kemafor Anyanwu, an assistant professor of computer science at NC State and senior author of a paper on the research. “At any given time, the same person may want information on any of those things, so profiling the user isn’t necessarily very helpful.”
Anyanwu’s team has come up with a way to address the personalized search problem by looking at a user’s “ambient query context,” meaning they look at a user’s most recent searches to help interpret the current search. Specifically, they look beyond the words used in a search to associated concepts to determine the context of a search. So, if a user’s previous search contained the word “conservation” it would be associated with concepts likes “animals” or “wildlife” and even “zoos.” Then, a subsequent search for “jaguar speed” would push results about the jungle cat higher up in the results – and not the automobile or supercomputer. And the more recently a concept has been associated with a search, the more weight it is given when ranking results of a new search.
Search engines have also tried to identify patterns in user clicking behavior on search results to identify the most probable user intent for a search. However, such techniques are impersonal and are applied on a global basis. So, if the most frequent click pattern for a set of keywords is in a particular context, then that context becomes the context associated with queries for most or all users – even if your recent search history indicates that your query context is about jungle cats.
“What we are doing is different,” Anyanwu says. “We are identifying the context of search terms for individual users in real time and using that to determine a user’s intention for a specific query at a specific time. This allows us to deal more effectively with more complex searches than traditional search engines. Such searches are becoming more prevalent as people now use the Web as a key knowledge base supporting different types of tasks.”
While Anyanwu and her team developed a context-aware personalized search technique over a year ago, the challenge has been how to scale this approach up. “Because running an ambient context program for every user would take an enormous amount of computing resources, and that is not feasible,” Anyanwu says.
However, Anyanwu’s research team has now come up with a technique that includes new ways to represent data, new ways to index that data so that it can be accessed efficiently, and a new computing architecture for organizing those indexes. The new technique makes a significant difference.
The Latest Bing News on:
- Grata Raises $3.2M for its Search Engine for Small to Middle Market Private Companieson October 13, 2020 at 6:20 am
Cofounded by Andrew Bocskocsk, Grata is the search engine for discovering small to middle-market private companies for recruiting, private equity, and banking professionals.
- Grata Secures $3.2M Seed Round to Scale Small Business Search Engineon October 13, 2020 at 6:00 am
Grata, the search engine for discovering small to middle market private companies, today announced it has secured $3.2 million in Seed ...
- Does Social Media Affect Search Engine Rankings? Yes – Here’s Howon October 12, 2020 at 9:23 am
If you’re like most small business owners, you probably have plenty of questions about the benefits of social media, ...
- What is DuckDuckGo? How to use the search engine as a more private, tracking-free alternative to Googleon October 6, 2020 at 1:13 pm
DuckDuckGo is an alternative search engine that prioritizes its users' personal privacy and security.
- Microsoft rebrands search engine Bing to Microsoft Bingon October 6, 2020 at 2:54 am
Rebranding Bing to Microsoft Bing could be the company’s efforts to take on Google Search, which is the most popular search engine worldwide.
- Bing is now Microsoft Bing as the search engine gets new branding, updated logoon October 5, 2020 at 1:05 pm
Jordi Ribas, a corporate vice president at Microsoft, noted that as the Redmond-based tech firm expands the ways in which people can use Bing, they felt ...
- Bing is now Microsoft Bing as the search engine gets a rebrandon October 5, 2020 at 9:06 am
Microsoft is rebranding its Bing search engine to Bing today as part of a rebranding effort. While the vast majority of people are likely to still just call it Bing, Mic ...
- How to add DuckDuckGo to a Google Chrome browser to get a privacy-focused default search engineon October 2, 2020 at 3:49 pm
You can add DuckDuckGo to Google Chrome as an extension to make it your default search engine and begin searching the web with greater privacy.
- European search engine teams up with BU to plant treeson September 30, 2020 at 6:33 am
The company’s Ecosia On Campus initiative, in partnership with Boston University (BU) and run by Christopher Park, is a grassroots movement that aims to make Ecosia the default browser on university ...
- DuckDuckGo slams Google’s Android search engine auction as ‘fundamentally flawed’ after losing to Bingon September 29, 2020 at 2:58 pm
Microsoft’s Bing search engine has beaten out competitor DuckDuckGo and will now be offered as an option for Android users during setup in select European countries, according to the results of Google ...
The Latest Google Headlines on:
The Latest Bing News on:
Next generation search engine
- Could This Next-Gen HR-V Be Honda India’s Answer To The Hyundai Creta & Kia Seltos?on September 29, 2020 at 4:07 am
The next-gen HR-V was ... Civic’s 1.6-litre diesel engine. Honda India is yet to enter the competitive compact SUV space, but that might change soon. The next-gen HR-V was recently spied in ...
- Next-gen Toyota Hilux could include a Raptor rival with a V6 diesel - reporton September 28, 2020 at 6:05 am
It’s long been rumoured that Toyota is working on a blue-blooded GR Hilux that will serve as a proper rival to the Ford Ranger Raptor. According to the latest rumours and rumblings, it looks ...
- Skoda Announces Next-Generation Fabia Coming In 2021on September 27, 2020 at 3:02 am
That’s when Schäfer briefly mentioned the Fabia, announcing the next-generation model will hit the market in ... so expect only three-cylinder gasoline engines as the Fabia is unlikely to get the Polo ...
- Starfield Will A Undergo Major Engine Rewrite For Next-Gen Consoleson September 24, 2020 at 9:55 pm
Upon being asked about the game, Howard revealed that it will be going through a “major engine rewrite” in order to leverage the capabilities of next-gen consoles. “The people all know me ...
- The Next-gen Rolls Royce Ghost Grows Even Longer!on September 24, 2020 at 7:35 am
It will be powered by the same 6.75-litre twin-turbo V12 engine that puts ... Since the current-gen Ghost is no longer on sale in India, we can expect the next-gen model along with the Ghost ...
- Magento PWA- An Affordable Next Gen Alternative to Boost e-Commerce Sales!on September 20, 2020 at 7:17 pm
Better Search Engine Optimization: It is believed by digital marketing ... With an entrepreneurial experience of 14 years, he is a visionary who proactively look out for the next big thing.
- You.i TV launches new generation of flagship engineon September 18, 2020 at 2:17 am
You.i Engine One 6.0 is said to be using the industry’s “most robust” development framework to support the next generation of premium direct-to-consumer OTT experiences across all platforms.
- LiquidPiston earns Army grant for next gen drone engineon September 15, 2020 at 6:31 am
"When we reimagined the rotary engine with the X-Engine, we knew it could be used to improve power generation in a number of different ways, given its high power-to-weight, efficiency, and ability ...
- Takeda Opens New R&D Cell Therapy Manufacturing Facility to Support Expansion of Next-Generation Clinical Programson September 15, 2020 at 5:17 am
The facility provides end-to-end research and development capabilities and will accelerate Takeda’s efforts to develop next ... generation cell therapies. Takeda’s Cell Therapy Translational ...
- Apple Envisions the Workplace & Auditoriums adopting a next-gen Communications System delivering AR/VR Content to HMDs through Wallson September 12, 2020 at 1:13 pm
While some of this is being done today using iPad's, a future Headset on a next-gen communications system ... be provided to a beam forming decision engine to determine a link path between a ...