We’ve known for a while now that just about every company under the sun is making a smartwatch.
Apple, Microsoft, Google, LG … you name the manufacturer, and it probably a wrist-based computer in the works. Sometimes there’s something to be said for being first, though, and Samsung just beat out the other major mobile manufacturers. Say hello to the well-leaked, but no less intriguing, Samsung Galaxy Gear.
Wearable electronics are all about notifications, and the Galaxy Gear is no exception. Emails, text messages, calls, and other notifications will pop up on the device’s 1.63-inch, 320 x 320 display. You can read previews of those notifications right on the tiny screen. You can even use it to make voice calls (while tethered to your Samsung phone) by lifting it up towards your ear.
The Gear also has Samsung’s S Voice (think Siri, only made by Samsung) in tow. So you can do things like draft messages, set reminders, or check the weather just by speaking to your wrist. Dick Tracy would be proud.
Integration with Samsung’s Galaxy phones is key, particularly with Samsung’s Smart Relay feature. If you receive a notification on your Galaxy Gear, you can pull the Galaxy Note 3 out of your pocket, and the app that gave you the notification will already be open. Lengthy email comes in on Gear, whip out smartphone, and read rest of email. No searching for the app required.
It isn’t often that we get excited about a 1.9-megapixel camera, and perhaps we shouldn’t here either. But the convenience that you get (and perhaps the intrusiveness that others get) from having a camera on your wrist makes this significant. There is, however, no front-facing camera for video chat, so that’s one area where Dick Tracy still has a leg-up on Samsung’s engineers.
The Latest on: Smart watch
- Samsung’s Gear S2 smartwatch gets an update w/ battery, UI improvementson February 4, 2020 at 7:50 am
This week, Samsung is adding on to that list with long software support, delivering an update to its five-year-old Gear S2. The Samsung Gear S2 was one of Samsung’s first big hits in the smartwatch ...
- Gear S2 Smartwatch 2020 Update Improves Battery Lifeon February 4, 2020 at 6:29 am
The new update for the 5-year-old smartwatch comes in at version R730AUCU3CQK1 and weighs a very small 6.79MB. It isn't a hefty update, but its goal is to improve battery usage and device security.
- Samsung Galaxy Watch 2 smartwatch to get a serious storage booston February 4, 2020 at 5:33 am
We recently learnt that Samsung is working on a new smartwatch, potentially to replace either the Galaxy Watch or the Galaxy Watch Active 2. Over the last few weeks we have learned about the mystery ...
- Gear S2 update breathes new life into an old smartwatchon February 4, 2020 at 3:03 am
Given how Samsung has been notorious for supporting its older phones, it’s nothing short of a miracle that the company decided to update a smartwatch. Launched in 2015, the Gear S2 made a big splash ...
- Kate Spade Sport Review: A compact Wear OS smartwatch w/ customization at its coreon February 3, 2020 at 3:54 pm
Unlike Android, Google’s Wear OS is pretty locked down to OEM customization, but thankfully, apps and watchfaces can help make one watch unique when compared to others. For the past several weeks, ...
- Apple Watch Series 5 Sale: Amazon is discounting Apple's latest smartwatch to an all-time lowon February 3, 2020 at 2:09 pm
It's a new week, and like clockwork, Amazon is discounting the Apple Watch. This time, the Series 5 is seeing a all-time low with as much as a $44.01 discount. That's for the 40-millimeter Gold ...
- Smart Watch Market Challenges, Key Players, Market Segments, Development, Opportunities, Forecast Report 2026on February 3, 2020 at 3:17 am
New Jersey, United States - The report titled, Smart Watch Market has been recently published by Verified Market Research. The Smart Watch market has been garnering remarkable momentum in recent years ...
- Oppo Smartwatch Looks Like An Apple Watch Copycaton January 30, 2020 at 8:40 am
It seems like Oppo’s design team didn’t look far from the Apple Store when it was coming up with the forthcoming, and much anticipated, Oppo smartwatch.
- Oppo’s smartwatch gets casually outed, and looks more than a little familiaron January 30, 2020 at 3:06 am
Here is our first proper look at Oppo’s future smartwatch, and the design team has been looking closely at another, quite popular model for inspiration. Oppo’s wearable does not have an official name ...
- OPPO teases its smartwatch with a square designon January 29, 2020 at 8:49 pm
The company revealed that following the launch of the Reno3 and Reno3 Pro 5G, it will be bringing a new smartwatch, smart wireless headphones, a 5G hub, and AR glasses to the market. At the time, OPPO ...
via Google News and Bing News