“In this study we pioneered a totally new treatment for stroke, and possibly for all neurological disease”
In the latest in a series of experiments testing the use of stem cells to treat neurological disease, researchers at Henry Ford Hospital have shown for the first time that microscopic material in the cells offers a “robust” treatment for crippling stroke.
“In this study we pioneered a totally new treatment for stroke, and possibly for all neurological disease,” says Michael Chopp, Ph.D., scientific director of the Henry Ford Neuroscience Institute.
It focused on exosomes, blister-like microscopic “bubbles” that once were thought to carry and get rid of “old” proteins that were no longer needed by the body. After they were recently found to also carry RNA, whole new fields of study were suggested – including the pioneering work at Henry Ford.
The research team found that after inducing stroke in lab rats, injecting exosomes containing this genetic material into their blood prompted remodeling of the affected brain, including increased production of new brain cells, blood vessels and neural rewiring. Together, these effects significantly improved neurological function that had been impaired by stroke.
Using bone marrow from the adult rats, the researchers extracted stem cells – specifically mesenchymal cells, or MSCs – that were then employed to generate exosomes.
The researchers induced stroke by occluding an artery in the brain of each rat to block blood flow for two hours. Twenty-four hours later, they injected the exosomes into a vein in each rat’s tail.
The rats’ physical agility and neurological responses were tested before stroke and after treatment with the exosomes, and the results were compared.
“All rats showed severe functional loss one day after treatment, but gradual and eventually significant improvement during the four-week period that followed,” Dr. Chopp says. “This discovery provides a novel treatment for stroke, and possibly other neurological diseases.”
The Latest on: Treatment for Stroke
- FYI: Williamson County EMS awarded for efforts in treating heart attack patientson June 25, 2019 at 8:19 am
“We congratulate Williamson County EMS for achieving this award that shows it meets evidence-based guidelines in the treatment of people who have severe heart attacks,” Nancy Brown, CEO of the ... […]
- In a medical emergency, who in your social network will call for help quickest?on June 25, 2019 at 2:04 am
But by then she was past the window of opportunity for her to receive emergency stroke treatment. Another patient, I’ll call him Mark, was a clear example of how social networks can help. He had ... […]
- What Will be Acute Ischemic Stroke Diagnosis And Treatment Market Condition in 2028?on June 25, 2019 at 1:59 am
Jun 25, 2019 (WiredRelease via COMTEX) -- MarketResearch.Biz provide a 10-year forecast for the Acute Ischemic Stroke Diagnosis and Treatment market between 2019 and 2028. The study serves key trends ... […]
- Brain Stroke - Growing Popularity and Emerging Trends in the Market | Medtronic, Stryker, Johnson & Johnson & Penumbraon June 25, 2019 at 12:54 am
However, growth of the market is hindered by certain challenges including shortcomings in the drug treatment for brain stroke, shortage of stroke specialists in the U.S., and entry threats for small ... […]
- New promising approach repairs system of blood vessels following strokeon June 24, 2019 at 10:41 pm
The study opens up new avenues for treatment. Each year, around 16,000 people in Switzerland and 15 million people worldwide suffer a stroke. Two thirds of those affected die or remain in permanent ... […]
- Outcomes of General Anesthesia Versus Conscious Sedation for Stroke Undergoing Endovascular Treatmenton June 24, 2019 at 9:56 pm
Background: The impact of anesthesia strategy on the outcomes of acute ischemic stroke (AIS) patients undergoing endovascular treatment is currently controversy. Thus, we performed this meta-analysis ... […]
- Cullman Regional recognized for stroke treatmenton June 24, 2019 at 6:40 pm
Cullman Regional has received the American Heart Association/American Stroke Association’s Get With The Guidelines®-Stroke Gold Plus Quality Achievement Award. The award recognizes the hospital’s ... […]
- Cleveland Clinic hospitals recognized for stroke careon June 24, 2019 at 2:14 pm
Hospitals earn the awards by meeting specific quality achievement measures for the diagnosis and treatment of stroke patients at a set level for a designated period. ... […]
- NHS plans for faster treatment of stroke 'will save thousands of lives'on June 19, 2019 at 4:01 pm
The national medical director will say NHS trusts across the country must centralise services, so that victims get the right help sooner. Professor Stephen Powis will say hospitals should follow a ... […]
- Study: Statins reduce stroke risk for cancer patients who received radiationon June 19, 2019 at 12:51 pm
Cancer patients who took statins to lower cholesterol after radiation treatment for the chest, head or neck saw their stroke risk fall by 32 percent, according to a study published Wednesday in the ... […]
via Google News and Bing News