Automotive technology: Electric and hybrid cars are being given a run for their money by an unlikely competitor: a range of advanced diesel engines that set new standards in performance and fuel economy
TESLA MOTORS has had great success with its Model S luxury electric car, which has outsold its petrol-powered equivalents since being launched in America last year. Even so, the prospects for battery-powered vehicles generally may never shine quite as bright again. Having had their day in the sun, they may soon be eclipsed by, wait for it, the diesel engine.
American readers will find this idea particularly hard to swallow. Surely not that dirty, noisy, smelly, lumbering lump of a motor that was hard to start in winter? Certainly not. A whole new generation of sprightly diesels—developed over the past few years—bear no resemblance to the clattering Oldsmobile 4.3-litre diesel of the late 1970s, which single-handedly destroyed diesel’s reputation in America for decades.
Later this year Americans will get their first chance to experience what a really advanced diesel is like—and why Europeans opt for diesels over hybrids, plug-in electrics and even petrol-powered cars. The leader of the new pack is the Mazda 6, with the choice of either a 2.5-litre four-cylinder petrol engine or a 2.2-litre turbo-charged diesel. The diesel has more than 30% better fuel economy and provides oodles more pulling power. Good as the petrol version is, motorists who choose it over the diesel will miss out on a lot. And Mazda is not the only carmaker with an advanced diesel in the works. Among others, Mitsubishi Motors has been selling cars with a new generation of 1.8-litre and 2.2-litre diesel engines in Europe since 2010. Hedging its bets on hybrids, Toyota has also been testing several radically new diesel designs.
What marks this latest generation of diesel engines from even their “common-rail” predecessors of the late 1990s, let alone their belching ancestors from the 1970s, is the use of a surprisingly low compression ratio of around 14:1 rather than the more usual 16:1 or higher. The reduction in cylinder pressure may sound marginal, but it gives rise to a virtuous cycle of beneficial effects that were previously unavailable.
For a start, the lower cylinder pressure reduces thermal and mechanical stresses in the engine. As a result, the heavy cast-iron block traditionally needed to stop a diesel ripping itself apart can be replaced with a lighter aluminium casting. That trims 25kg (55lb) off the weight of the block of the new Mazda diesel. Lower cylinder pressures mean that pistons, rings, valves, crankshaft and other engine parts can also be made 25% lighter. And because they are weighed down less by the engine, the vehicle’s brakes, suspension and bodywork do not need to be quite so rugged either. All these weight savings translate into greater efficiency. According to Ricardo, an engineering consultancy, every 10% reduction in a family car’s weight boosts its fuel economy by more than 4%.
Another benefit of lower cylinder pressure is that the lighter moving parts in the engine generate less internal friction—improving efficiency still further. And having less inertia, they allow the engine to spin faster and more freely, which also boosts efficiency. Mazda’s new “Skyactiv-D” engine can reach 5,200 revolutions per minute, a figure previously unheard of among road-going diesels. All told, the improvement in engine efficiency more than compensates for any loss of power caused by reducing the diesel’s compression ratio. As it is, diesels start off by being 30-35% more efficient than petrol engines. The new low-compression diesels are likely to be even more so.
There are benefits on the emissions side as well.
The Latest Bing News on:
- ESA's Prometheus to usher in cheaper, reusable next-gen rocket engineson June 4, 2020 at 7:22 pm
Constructed using 3D printing technology, the Prometheus is a liquid-fueled rocket engine demonstrator that is intended as the model for the next generation of potentially reusable propulsion systems ...
- Gentlemen, start your engines: NASCAR will return to Kansas Speedway in Julyon June 4, 2020 at 2:05 pm
NASCAR will return to Kansas Speedway in July, but there are still questions about whether fans will be allowed to attend or not.
- Nikola Revs Its Electric Engines in Debut as a Public Companyon June 4, 2020 at 12:11 pm
Thursday’s news was that Nikola raised over $700 million through the business combination and through a private offering that included Fidelity Management & Research, ValueAct Spring Fund and P.
- A sound artist sleeps to the hum of the jet engineson June 4, 2020 at 9:08 am
We caught up with Christopher Janney, who created the SoundStair at the Museum of Science, to talk about all things travel.
- ‘And We Go Green’ Review: Start Your (Quiet) Engineson June 4, 2020 at 5:13 am
I’m a racing man,” he says to the directors Fisher Stevens and Malcolm Venville in their documentary “And We Go Green” (streaming on Hulu). Yet, when eco-conscious sponsors were beginning to steer ...
- BTCC News: M-Sport to supply BTCC's off-the-peg engines from 2022on June 4, 2020 at 3:24 am
Sport will supply the British Touring Car Championship's off-the-peg customer 'TOCA' engine from the 2022 season ...
- Tesla’s Outlook Starting to Clear up With ‘Fremont Engines Running,’ Says 5-Star Analyston June 2, 2020 at 4:00 pm
When looking at V-shaped recoveries, they hardly come more V-shaped than that of Tesla’s . Hitting all-time highs in February, then plummeting along with the rest of the market, ...
- Start your engines: Formula 1 sets out EIGHT-RACE calendar with 'incredibly complex operation' to bring back racing from July 5on June 2, 2020 at 3:36 am
With Formula 1 set to roar back into action on July 5, the sport's chief technical officer has revealed the huge series of measures that will be used to bring the sport back to our screens in Austria ...
- Blown engines: These 11 cars need rebuilds most, says Consumer Reportson June 1, 2020 at 4:56 pm
Engine, head gasket and transmission issues stood out for 11 vehicles, and each model often experienced problems around the same mileage.
- Squirrels, Rats and Other Rodents Take Up Residence in Non-Running Car Engineson May 31, 2020 at 4:18 am
While you've been sheltering in place, your car may not be going entirely unused. It turns that all kinds of critters are turning vehicles into their homes. Wildlife experts say, parked cars make ...
The Latest Google Headlines on:
The Latest Bing News on:
Advanced diesel engines
- A Small Swedish Submarine Revealed The Latest Threat To Navy Aircraft Carrierson June 4, 2020 at 11:28 pm
The advent of cheap, stealthy and long-enduring diesel submarines is yet another factor placing carriers and other expensive surface warships at greater risk when operating close to defended ...
- 2020 Hyundai iLoad review: diesel automaticon June 4, 2020 at 9:27 am
We ask a lot form work vans so Drive reviews the 2020 Hyundai iLoad diesel automatic to see if it has the space and safety to get the job done.
- 2021 Jeep Compass Gets New Engine And Range Of Updates In Europeon June 4, 2020 at 8:22 am
A series of updates are coming to the Euro-spec Jeep Compass SUV for the 2021 model year, including more tech, a new engine, and transmission options.
- New engine widens the Volkswagen Golf marketon June 4, 2020 at 7:20 am
The Volkswagen Golf has become even more accessible to would-be owners with the introduction of a new engine in the entry-level model. You can find out all about the spec, performance and price of the ...
- Volkswagen Golf now comes with 1-liter petrol engineon June 3, 2020 at 5:20 pm
Volkswagen Golf may have bid "adieu" in the Philippines, but that doesn't mean it has reached the end of its days. On the contrary, the latest iteration of the Volkswagen Golf GTI is considered one of ...
- Renewable diesel drives growth in biomass-based diesel importson June 3, 2020 at 4:56 pm
U.S. imports of biomass-based diesel grew 26 percent in 2019 to more than 27,000 barrels per day, reversing three years of decline. Imports of biomass-based diesel increased in 2019 because of the ...
- 2021 BMW 4 Series (G22) unveiled with a range of petrol & diesel engineson June 3, 2020 at 6:09 am
The new G22 BMW 4 Series comes in six engine variants: 420i, 430i, M440i xDrive, 420d, 430d and M440d xDrive, Prices start at USD 46,600.
- Watch: Dual-fuel LNG engine approved for service in ultra-large container shipson June 2, 2020 at 9:16 am
The two-stroke dual-fuel engine has been demonstrated to significantly reduce nitrogen oxides, sulfur oxides, Type approval was awarded following a series of extensive full-load tests in diesel and ...
- Production of Cox’s Market-Revolutionizing Diesel Outboard Beginson May 26, 2020 at 2:53 pm
Cox Powertrain is pleased to announce the start of production of the CXO300, its purpose-designed 300hp diesel outboard engine. After several years of intensive development and testing this represents ...
- China offers vessels stronger 'heart' with technologically advanced engineon May 26, 2020 at 7:39 am
BEIJING - The China State Shipbuilding Corporation Limited (CSSC) on Tuesday released the dual-fuel, low-speed engine WinGD X92DF, the world's biggest of its kind for modern, large and ultra-large ...