Globalization is breaking down barriers – also for plants and animals on the lookout for new homes.
Rivers are also changing, in particular through the introduction of non-native species, often brought in by passing ships. In the Danube River, scientists have been observing a fish species conquering a new habitat and creating a totally new ecosystem in the process.
Recent decades have seen massive changes to many river systems. To improve passage for ships, humans have been straightening, deepening, and reinforcing river banks and altered the natural flow regime. Water temperatures are also rising as a result of climate change. All of which provides perfect conditions for the round goby, a fish traditionally found in the lower stretches of the Danube and along the coasts of the Black Sea. Today, however, round goby has expanded its distribution range significantly and can now be found in the headwater of the Danube as well as in the Rhine, the Baltic Sea and the Laurentian Great Lakes in North America.
Scientists at the Technische Universität München (TUM) have teamed up with the Bavarian State Collection of Zoology (ZSM) to investigate the strategies the round goby uses to conquer new stretches of river and the impact on the ecosystem and existing food webs. This is the first comprehensive study of this nature has been carried out.
Colonization of the upper Danube
The scientists carried out their investigations in the Danube River. “Round goby reached the headwaters of the Danube only a few years ago. Probably as a stowaway in the ballast water of ships,” explains Jörg Brandner from the Chair of Aquatic Systems Biology. Since then, the fish has firmly established itself in the Bavarian Danube in an area stretching from the state border to the city of Regensburg.
In fall 2009, round goby reached the river stretch near the town of Bad Abbach and rapidly established a stable population. From here, individual fish moved further upstream. “In fall 2010 – just one year later – we found the first gobies in the river at Kelheim – around fifteen kilometers further upstream,” continues Brandner. “We did not expect the invasion to progress so rapidly.”
Native species in decline
The pioneers are particularly strong and powerful goby individuals, able to consume a broad range of foods and thus can outperform other species in the competition for food. They gradually eliminate native fish species such as the barbel and European chub and already account for over 70 percent of the entire fish population in some areas of their preferred habitat (rip-rap banks).
The round goby is also reducing the diversity and abundance of invertebrates. Stoneflies, caddisflies and mayflies are particularly hard hit as they become the invaders’ preferred prey in their new habitat. “The round goby quickly adapts to new surroundings, for example by changing its feeding habits,” says Prof. Jürgen Geist from the Chair of Aquatic Systems Biology. “That’s what makes this species so successful.”
The round goby is not the only fish advancing upstream from the Black Sea. There are currently five different goby species from the lower Danube making their way up the river. And the fish are not the first new settlers. They have already been preceded by many exotic snails, mussels and freshwater amphipods, some even hailing from other continents, e.g. Asia. Like the gobies, a number of these animals dominate native species now.
The Latest Bing News on:
- Google will expand free retail listings to its main search page in a bid to fend off a growing ad rivalry with Amazonon June 29, 2020 at 3:07 pm
Merchants will soon be able to advertise products at the top of Google's search pages for free, which could help Google lure over more retailers.
- GOLDSTEIN: How climate change alarmism hurts the environment -- and uson June 29, 2020 at 2:18 pm
Apocalyptic climate change rhetoric by politicians, environmental activists and much of the mainstream media, is harmful for two reasons. First, it distracts us from other major environmental ...
- TCU’s Dixon creating environment for substantive changeon June 29, 2020 at 12:00 pm
TCU Men’s Basketball Head Coach Jamie Dixon is using his platform and program to make changes in college basketball while also bringing heightened awareness to racial inequality and empowering his ...
- Change is constant: how to manage your team in the new work ecosystemon June 15, 2020 at 3:30 am
This is the new ecosystem of work that we must navigate. In the project economy, it is project leaders, armed with a wide-ranging set of competencies, who will drive and implement change for ...
- Climate change 'threat multiplier' ignored in national environment lawson June 14, 2020 at 4:30 pm
Scientists are warning that the federal government’s key environment laws are failing to protect wildlife and ecosystems from climate change. “Climate change is a threat multiplier,” said ...
- Maharashtra renames its environment ministry as 'Environment and Climate Change Ministry'on June 10, 2020 at 5:00 pm
to Department of Environment and Climate Change, as a Ministry in Maharashtra Cabinet. This moves the dept to an active role in climate change mitigation," Thackeray said in a tweet. Meanwhile ...
- Unequal Impact: The Deep Links Between Racism and Climate Changeon June 9, 2020 at 2:10 am
As co-chair of the Climate Justice Alliance, she leads a coalition of more than 70 organizations focused on addressing racial and economic inequities together with climate change. In an interview with ...
- Change Is Constant: This Is The New Work Ecosystemon June 8, 2020 at 7:06 am
This is the new ecosystem of work that we must navigate. In The Project Economy, it is project leaders, armed with a wide-ranging set of competencies, who will drive and implement change for ...
- It’s now Department of Environment & Climate Changeon June 5, 2020 at 6:55 pm
the State Environment Department rechristened itself as the Department of Environment & Climate Change. Environment Minister Aaditya Thackeray said along with the change in name, the ministry’s ...
- State proposes to change name of environment departmenton June 5, 2020 at 5:32 pm
the state government proposed changing the name of its environment department to include climate change. The decision on the name change will be taken soon, at the state cabinet meeting.
The Latest Google Headlines on:
The Latest Bing News on:
- Ford Motor Company (F) Fireside chat hosted by Citi Research (Transcript)on June 26, 2020 at 8:44 pm
F) Fireside chat hosted by Citi Research June 26, 2020 11:00 AM ET Company Participants Todd Eckert - Marketing Manager, Ford Truck Gro ...
- How manufacturing can be Singapore’s new gold rushon June 21, 2020 at 6:00 pm
Robotics, AI and automation will be the new prospecting pan, providing essential parts and components that enable the speculators.
- Land Treatment Exploration Tool — Step 2: Select Treatment Boundaryon June 17, 2020 at 6:00 am
Each year, public land managers make decisions regarding restoration and rehabilitation actions that influence landscapes and ecosystems. Many of these ... The polygons uploaded or drawn on the map ...
- Land Treatment Exploration Tool—Step 1: Describe Proposed Treatmenton June 17, 2020 at 5:49 am
Each year, public land managers make decisions regarding restoration and rehabilitation actions that influence landscapes and ecosystems. Many of these ... Many outputs in the Exploration tool are ...
- Fuel for Thought - Powering Net-Zero Communitieson June 12, 2020 at 8:56 am
Hydrogen is also exportable. Siemens is developing a gigawatt-sized hydrogen ... new alternatives will leave a lasting impact on our planet. As a part of this ecosystem, Bechtel is prepared to help ...
- The New Rules: The Unflat World of Global Food Productionon June 8, 2020 at 5:00 pm
That means that, 1) today's four primary sources of exportable grain production will become significantly more important to the planetary food economy; and 2) in future decades, a far higher ...
- Don’t leave farmers to fend for themselveson June 7, 2020 at 7:45 pm
This regime has been extremely helpful in the past in making the nation not only food-surplus but to also have large exportable surplus ... A favourable ecosystem of infrastructure and policies ...
- Inovalon Launches FHIR-Based Solution for Health Plan Complianceon May 22, 2020 at 8:48 am
the mandated availability of Patient Access APIs is projected to usher in a new ecosystem of patient-focused personal healthcare apps, powered by the easily accessed, real-time availability of ...
- Reframing the Endangered Species Act: The case of the Yellowstone Grizzly Bear Recoveryon May 17, 2019 at 2:55 pm
This work will inform the more general question of the long term economic impacts, if any, that result from the conservation of large predators to human communities in the Greater Yellowstone ...
- Financing the small farmeron August 28, 2016 at 4:36 pm
This concept of serving the farming community through service providers/crop production companies envisages the development of an agriculture ecosystem ... with focus on exportable produce ...