Ayah Bdeir is on a mission to bring DIY electronics to a wider audience with a collection of building blocks called littleBits.
Color-coded into different categories, these circuit board modules can be snapped together with magnets and combined with everyday objects to make anything from a glow-in-the-dark puppets to a bubble blowing flutes to … whatever your imagination can conjure, and all without any specialist knowledge of electronics or design.
“Why not be able to combine felt with wood and light, or popsicle sticks with sound and motion sensitivity?” asks Bdeir, a TED Senior Fellow and MIT graduate who founded New York-based littleBits in 2011.
Each of the littleBits kits contain a collection of electronic bits that magnetically snap together letting users create device prototypes and fun toys. They do away with the need for soldering irons and wiring and break down complex electronic components into fundamental blocks such as switches, motors, connectors, sensors and buzzers.
“They are essentially physical materials with digital behaviors,” Bdeir tells Gizmag. “There is no reason why you should make a choice between being tactile and being digital, between playing with your hands on the floor, or programming on a screen.”
Instead of physically programming electronic devices for specific behaviors through connections, bits containing dials and switches allow users to program behaviors more simply. Turn a dial on a pulse bit, for instance, and it’ll go faster or slower depending on the direction it’s turned.
“You can embed intelligent behavior with roller switches, similar to the switch that activates a fridge light, or an AND and OR gate (logic gates are the fundamental of programming),” explains Bdeir. “We are taking lessons and iconography that we are used to every day from consumer electronics (dials, buttons, switches) and applying them to small components, and giving you the ability to learn on the fly, without programming or wiring or soldering.”
littleBits can be combined with other materials such as craft objects and toys giving rise to any variety of mixed creations. Bdeir hopes that the bits will serve as a tool to bring ideas to life. For example, a horse carousel created by littleBit’s lead designer Jordi Borras combines paper cutouts of horses with 3 LEDs, a DC motor and a sound sensor that allows the carousel to be activated by a clap.
The Latest Bing News on:
- Repurposing Large Electronic Price Tagson November 27, 2020 at 7:07 am
If you’ve recently braved the pandemic long enough to make a trip to a big box retailer, you may have spotted a few massive e-paper price tags affixed to large items like appliances. These ...
- Get your kids into coding with this fun DIY kit, now 44% offon November 26, 2020 at 10:00 am
StackCommerce For the next generation, intelligent robots and programming at work will be the norm. The Twin Science DIY Coding Kit helps to prepare your kids for this bold new world and keep them ...
- Summer Sonicon November 26, 2020 at 5:55 am
Zora Jones delivers a shape-shifting hour of experimental club music for the Recognise series, and talks to Rob McCallum about her new album, 'Ten Billion Angels', and the rich audiovisual world of ...
- A eulogy for Danny’s Tavernon November 25, 2020 at 3:24 pm
For decades, this cozy candlelit bar in Bucktown nurtured a devoted and welcoming community of music lovers—but it couldn’t survive the pandemic.
- 8 STEM gifts that will keep your kids occupied so you can focus on workon November 25, 2020 at 6:11 am
We've rounded up 8 gifts that include games, experiments, and projects to teach your young ones about programming, electronics, and hardware.
- Spending on electronics and home appliances up 10%-20% this Diwalion November 24, 2020 at 6:49 pm
More consumers are now open to loosen their purse strings and upgrade their homes with higher capacity and higher-end products with advanced .
- After a year of uncertainty, service contracts can offer holiday peace of mind for consumerson November 24, 2020 at 8:19 am
More than one-third of consumers (37%) say they wish they could go back in time and purchase a service contract on something that broke in 2020. These findings and others suggest that this Black ...
- Best gifts for Dad in 2020on November 21, 2020 at 8:55 pm
This story is part of Holiday Gift Guide 2020, CNET's gift picks with expert advice, reviews and recommendations for the latest tech gifts for you and your family. I'm a dad, and I'll admit it -- I'm ...
- Biden’s DIY transition proceeds without Trump assistanceon November 18, 2020 at 2:17 am
President Donald Trump’s refusal to cooperate with his successor is forcing President-elect Joe Biden to seek unusual workarounds to prepare for the exploding public health threat and ...
- Calls for 'right to repair' growing louder for electronics in EUon November 17, 2020 at 3:49 am
Most of our modern electronic devices end up on the scrap heap after only a few years. But as the push for a more circular economy gains traction, pressure is building for products that can be ...
The Latest Google Headlines on:
The Latest Bing News on:
Physical materials with digital behaviors
- Intelligence Brief: What can we expect from EU digital regulation reboot?on November 26, 2020 at 4:50 am
The global digital economy has experienced huge growth over the last decade built on telecom network investment, increasing smartphone adoption and service innovation across virtually all sectors, ...
- Netsafe study of online behaviour reveals big jump in revenge porn, physical threats during lockdown periodon November 21, 2020 at 7:51 pm
The nationwide lockdown this year created a perfect storm for trouble online. That's according to Netsafe which has found there were sharp rises in the most serious kinds of digital harm, including ...
- 4 Covid-19 Digital Marketing Healthcare Trendson November 19, 2020 at 4:16 pm
Covid-19 has upended all industries and changed the behavior of consumers. Within healthcare specifically, the pandemic has impacted patients, healthcare providers and pharmaceutical brands alike.
- Charges cascading along a molecular chainon November 12, 2020 at 7:36 am
We did both of those things in this work," said Michael Crommie, a senior faculty scientist in Berkeley Lab's Materials ... That behavior mimics an electronic shift register in a digital circuit ...
- Charges cascading along a molecular chainon November 11, 2020 at 4:00 pm
We did both of those things in this work,” said Michael Crommie, a senior faculty scientist in Berkeley Lab’s Materials Sciences ... to shift by one position. That behavior mimics an electronic shift ...
- Lightspeed to Acquire ShopKeep to Accelerate Digital Transformation of SMBs Across the United Stateson November 5, 2020 at 3:39 am
With smart, scalable and dependable point of sale systems, Lightspeed provides all-in-one solutions that drive innovation and digital transformation ... including physical and eCommerce sites.
- SA banks see surge in e-commerce, contactless paymentson November 3, 2020 at 4:00 pm
“We witnessed a dramatic shift in behaviour ... shifting towards digital quite significantly. Contactless payments are also expected to dominate for those that prefer the physical retail ...
- Medical Customers Across the Globe Adopt Stratasys J750 Digital Anatomy 3D Printeron November 1, 2020 at 8:00 pm
A year after the launch of its J750™ Digital Anatomy™ 3D printer, Stratasys Ltd. (NASDAQ: SSYS) today announced it has successfully sold and installed the system at healthcare institutions and medical ...
- Blockchain Startup LUKSO Explains The Digital Wardrobe And Why You’ll Absolutely Want Oneon November 1, 2020 at 4:00 pm
the number one reason for interacting with a physical garment is they want to decide whether they want to buy it. We’re seeing disparate behaviors among fashion consumers. Those in digital ...
- Presidential Elections Do Not Deter Holiday Shoppers In The Long Runon October 31, 2020 at 3:01 pm
Elections in the past have not had a material impact on holiday shopping, although typically during the election process, there may be a lull in shopping behavior. The 2020 election is on day ...