LED light bulbs can be brighter and more energy efficient than ever, thanks to a high performance LED driver newly developed by researchers from the Department of Electronic and Information Engineering.
The new driver powers LED light bulbs with an innovative approach called multi-level PWM (Pulse-Width Modulation), which delivers remarkable improvements in terms of light quality and energy efficiency, when compared to pulse width modulation and linear driver approaches currently used in LED products.
By traditional method of pulse width modulation, LEDs are fed pulsed current instead of steady DC. The drive current is turned ON and OFF at a rate faster than being perceptible by human eyes. Powering LEDs in pulses makes their light output easily controllable.
The research team, formed by Dr Lai Yuk Ming, Dr Loo Ka Hong and Prof. Michael Tse, gives the PWM method a new twist. The pulsed operation is redesigned in a way to maximize light output while minimizing wasted energy in the form of heat. The result is higher lumen per watt. Dr Loo Ka Hong said they achieved additional energy saving by up to 15%.
When used in a large scale application, it can save a lot of energy. The LED billboard on One Times Square in New York is a good example. The math goes like this: The giant display uses 12 million bulbs and 250 KW of power. If the billboard is on for 16 hours a day, the energy bill comes to US$18,000 a month. A 12% drop in energy consumption means US$2,160 in energy savings. That’s something to roll your eyes at.
Furthermore, it has lowered cooling requirements and needs smaller size heat sink compared to conventional methods. That means LED systems can be made smaller. With excellent dimming capability, the new MPWM driver allows manufacturers to create fully dimmable LEDs, which can be dimmed down to 0 watt of power. These superior qualities pave way for brighter, smarter and more versatile LED lighting solutions.
The world is switching to LEDs for huge environmental benefits. If all the traditional light bulbs in the world were replaced with energy-saving ones, lighting energy use could be cut by 40%, according to Worldwatch Institute. The Energy Saving Trust has similar projections , which said the resultant carbon saving would be the equivalent of taking 70,000 cars off the road.
As the greenest alternative to incandescent lamps, LEDs are a popular choice of lighting but they are not perfect. Consumers are looking for a brighter and more natural glow matching up to incandescent light bulbs. The demand for brightness is even more pronounced in high power applications such as automobile headlights and architectural lightings. LED research worldwide is looking to build a perfect substitute to incandescent. It is exciting to have advanced LED lighting with a simple solution such as MPWM that brings about significant energy saving.
Obviously, the novel technology allows a better product to be made. High illuminating performance combined with good thermal protection allowed manufacturers to create compact lighting solutions with a very high lumen output. And the additional cost is little because all of these qualities could be achieved with the use of low cost ICs. This could be music to the ear for LED manufacturers.
The Latest Bing News on:
LED light bulbs
- The 3 best smart bulbs for Alexaon May 13, 2020 at 4:45 pm
If you're looking to brighten up your space with minimal effort, Alexa-enabled bulbs will seamlessly connect to your Amazon Echo, Dot, Show, or smartphone so you can control them with your voice (or ...
- YujiLight 16W Dimmable & Angle Adjustable PAR30 LED Bulbon May 13, 2020 at 12:33 am
The 16W Dimmable & Angle Adjustable PAR30 LED Bulb looks like an interesting low-cost light that you could use as a substitute for practicals.
- New Dusk-to-Dawn Light Bulbs for Your Outdoor Fixtureson May 12, 2020 at 8:55 am
Most of us know LED bulbs have become the de facto replacement for the classic incandescent bulb. But less well-known is what's within the LED bulb itself, and what it can do. LED fixtures can be used ...
- LED CORN LIGHT BULB BUYERS GUIDEon May 12, 2020 at 8:30 am
We have created a guide for you to buy the right corn bulb that meets your requirements. Take a look at this guide to learn about LED corn cob bulbs so you know how to buy corn bulbs. Remember that we ...
- 'Glow Blue Tampa Bay': Local campaign supports front line workerson May 12, 2020 at 7:54 am
While people were out and about on Mother’s Day weekend, deputies said they passed out more than 1,500 light bulbs in Tampa’s Hyde Park neighborhood.
- The Most Common Light Bulb Types, Explainedon May 11, 2020 at 9:33 pm
If you're searching for a durable light bulb that doesn't have to changed often (these last for up to a decade) and is dimmable, an LED or light-emitting diode is your best bet. It's great for hard-to ...
- CREED LightTracker: New Data Shows Residential LED Market Share Continues to Grow Amid Uncertaintyon May 11, 2020 at 9:51 am
The residential lighting market has long operated in an uncertain environment, with shifts in the regulatory environment occurring on top of rapid adoption of LED technologies. The COVID-19 pandemic ...
- Strike Force Georgiana, which led to convictions of some of Catholic Church’s most prolific paedophiles to finishon May 8, 2020 at 9:07 pm
Seasoned detective Kristi Faber was investigating a handful of complaints about some Catholic clergy when she sat down with a good friend — a burly firefighter with a loving family, but an horrific ...
- The best LED lampon May 7, 2020 at 12:39 am
Our team of experts has selected the best LED lamps out of dozens of options. Don't buy an LED lamp before reading these reviews.
- 500,000 red tulips bloom in B.C. marking 75 years since Canadian-led liberation of Netherlandson May 6, 2020 at 9:11 am
The "timing has been impeccable" as tulips bloomed just before the Netherlands marks Liberation Day, says the son of a survivor.
The Latest Google Headlines on:
LED light bulbs
The Latest Bing News on:
- K-Devices Releases WOV For iOSon May 5, 2020 at 6:05 pm
Devices has released WOV for IOS, an AUv3 effect plugin which they say is designed for creating a wide range of textural transmutation, from familiar static tremolo waves to evolving glitchy stutters.
- Pulse Width Modulation (PWM) Controllers Market Future Prospects 2026 | Analog Devices, Texas Instruments, STMicroelectronicson April 27, 2020 at 4:13 am
The MarketWatch News Department was not involved in the creation of this content. Important years considered in the study are: Historical year - 2014-2019 ; Base year - 2019; Forecast period ...
- Discussing Pulse-Width Modulationon April 26, 2020 at 5:00 pm
[Michael Kleinigger] posted a lengthy discussion on Pulse-Width Modulation that goes beyond the traditional beginner tutorial. He starts a bit of background info on PWM and a tip about using a ...
- Pulse Width Modulation With Microcontrollerson April 23, 2020 at 5:00 pm
Those following the ProtoStack tutorials will be happy to hear that there is a new installment which explains Pulse Width Modulation. If you’ve never heard of PWM before, it’s a method of ...
- How to get the best out of the Moog Model D and 3 emulationson March 31, 2020 at 5:00 pm
Fortunately, the SE-02 has a dedicated LFO for that purpose. That said, here are three noteworthy effects that can be achieved using the X-Mod features: Pulse-width modulation. Because Osc 3’s ...
- EEE6205 Power Electronic Converterson October 24, 2019 at 3:55 am
This unit introduces power conversion principles, defines the terminology and analyses operational principles, modulation methods and control of selected power converters topologies for industrial ...
- Aero-TV: ‘Smarter Than We Are’ – Best Tugs Tackles Serious Aircraft Movementon November 20, 2018 at 9:04 pm
Best Tugs Echo Can Move Nearly Anything. Best Tugs showcased its new Echo line of tugs at NBAA-BACE last month. The line includes three variants that can move all types of vehicle ...
- 3.8.3 Pulse Width Modulationon February 20, 2018 at 11:20 am
Pulse width modulation is a technique for reducing the amount of power delivered to a DC motor. Instead of reducing the voltage operating the motor (which would reduce its power), the motor s power ...
- Chapter 9: Power Electronics, Rectifiers, and Pulse-Width Modulation Inverterson February 19, 2018 at 12:55 pm
The development of solid-state motor drive packages over the last 30 years has revolutionized the application of electric motors. Any power control problem can be solved using them. The solid-state ...
- A Digital Power Factor Correction Using Floating Point Processor for Pulse Width Modulation Control in Boost Converterson October 8, 2017 at 11:26 am
In this paper, the authors introduce novel digital and analog power factor correction techniques for single phase boost converter using pulse width modulation. It attempts to bring the input ...