LED light bulbs can be brighter and more energy efficient than ever, thanks to a high performance LED driver newly developed by researchers from the Department of Electronic and Information Engineering.
The new driver powers LED light bulbs with an innovative approach called multi-level PWM (Pulse-Width Modulation), which delivers remarkable improvements in terms of light quality and energy efficiency, when compared to pulse width modulation and linear driver approaches currently used in LED products.
By traditional method of pulse width modulation, LEDs are fed pulsed current instead of steady DC. The drive current is turned ON and OFF at a rate faster than being perceptible by human eyes. Powering LEDs in pulses makes their light output easily controllable.
The research team, formed by Dr Lai Yuk Ming, Dr Loo Ka Hong and Prof. Michael Tse, gives the PWM method a new twist. The pulsed operation is redesigned in a way to maximize light output while minimizing wasted energy in the form of heat. The result is higher lumen per watt. Dr Loo Ka Hong said they achieved additional energy saving by up to 15%.
When used in a large scale application, it can save a lot of energy. The LED billboard on One Times Square in New York is a good example. The math goes like this: The giant display uses 12 million bulbs and 250 KW of power. If the billboard is on for 16 hours a day, the energy bill comes to US$18,000 a month. A 12% drop in energy consumption means US$2,160 in energy savings. That’s something to roll your eyes at.
Furthermore, it has lowered cooling requirements and needs smaller size heat sink compared to conventional methods. That means LED systems can be made smaller. With excellent dimming capability, the new MPWM driver allows manufacturers to create fully dimmable LEDs, which can be dimmed down to 0 watt of power. These superior qualities pave way for brighter, smarter and more versatile LED lighting solutions.
The world is switching to LEDs for huge environmental benefits. If all the traditional light bulbs in the world were replaced with energy-saving ones, lighting energy use could be cut by 40%, according to Worldwatch Institute. The Energy Saving Trust has similar projections , which said the resultant carbon saving would be the equivalent of taking 70,000 cars off the road.
As the greenest alternative to incandescent lamps, LEDs are a popular choice of lighting but they are not perfect. Consumers are looking for a brighter and more natural glow matching up to incandescent light bulbs. The demand for brightness is even more pronounced in high power applications such as automobile headlights and architectural lightings. LED research worldwide is looking to build a perfect substitute to incandescent. It is exciting to have advanced LED lighting with a simple solution such as MPWM that brings about significant energy saving.
Obviously, the novel technology allows a better product to be made. High illuminating performance combined with good thermal protection allowed manufacturers to create compact lighting solutions with a very high lumen output. And the additional cost is little because all of these qualities could be achieved with the use of low cost ICs. This could be music to the ear for LED manufacturers.
The Latest Bing News on:
LED light bulbs
- Friends of Devoe Park Gather for Park Clean-Up & Crocus Bulb Planting Eventon November 12, 2020 at 8:10 am
As part of their regular and ongoing efforts to clean-up parks in the Northwest Bronx, and generally to promote a strong community spirit, Friends of Devoe Park (FoDP), along with some members of ...
- New Cree Lighting Connected Max Smart LED Bulbs Deliver Category-Leading User Experience and Controlon November 11, 2020 at 6:11 am
Cree Lighting today introduced Connected Max Smart LED Bulbs, a new line of smart lighting designed to simplify smart home experiences for consumers.
- New LED Miniature Bulb Series Puts Out Ultra Bright, Omnidirectional Light as an Alternative to Conventional Incandescentson November 11, 2020 at 12:15 am
LEDtronics continues to expand its line of industry leading miniature based LED bulbs Introducing the B305SM series an omnidirectional miniature bulb that directly replaces incandescents in critical ...
- Double Eleven Sale: Best Smart Bulbs, Smart Sockets and LED Lights dealson November 10, 2020 at 6:05 pm
Double Eleven sale is finally kicked off with splendid offers and deals on electronics. The users can enjoy massive discounts on smartwatches, fitness bands, and other smart home products. Here’s our ...
- Nanoleaf’s Thread-enabled A19 and LED Lightstrip debut in Apple storeson November 10, 2020 at 5:04 pm
The Nanoleaf A19 Smart Color Changing LED Bulb and LED Lightstrip are available now for $19.95 and $49.95 respectively in Apple stores (both brick-and-mortar and online) and on the Nanoleaf website.
- Govee dusk to dawn LED bulbs offer budget-focused upgrades for as low as $3 per bulbon November 10, 2020 at 4:07 pm
Govee US (98% positive lifetime feedback) via Amazon is offering a 2-pack of its 800-lumen Dusk to Dawn LED Light Bulbs for $9.99 Prime shipped with the code TZU78M24 at checkout. While it can get ...
- Nanoleaf Launches HomeKit-Compatible 'Essentials' LED Bulb and Lightstripon November 10, 2020 at 4:00 pm
Nanoleaf, the company that makes wall-mounted modular light panels in various shapes, today announced the launch of a line of ...
- Superlightingled.com Releases LED Lighting As New Energy-efficient And Long Lasting Lighting Technology Used In Different Applicationson November 9, 2020 at 6:23 am
Superlightingled.com modern LED light is easily the most popular and preferred type of growing light available on the market today. The main reason why they sell out faster than other kinds of lights ...
- Panasonic Smart Wi-Fi LED Bulb: Smart lights to suit every moodon November 1, 2020 at 12:15 pm
Lighting has always been a crucial element of any home design, not just from a functional aspect but from an aesthetic sense as well. Apart from its core function of illuminating a space, lighting ...
- The best LED light bulbs for 2020on October 25, 2020 at 2:31 am
LED bulbs are the way to go for a “smarter” smart home. While some bulbs and bulb kits may be a bit of an investment upfront, the cash you’ll save in the long run, combined with many of the ...
The Latest Google Headlines on:
LED light bulbs
The Latest Bing News on:
- The Lenovo ThinkPad L15 combines the old winning concept with an AMD performance booston November 12, 2020 at 1:55 pm
The Lenovo ThinkPad L15 is an affordable office laptop based on AMD's new Renoir architecture that impresses with its good workmanship and keyboard in particular.
- Pulse Density Modulationon November 8, 2020 at 4:00 pm
[esot.eric] was trying to drive a motor and naturally thought of using pulse width modulation (PWM) to control the motor speed. However, he found that even with a large capacitor, his underpowered ...
- Using Binary Code Modulation To Control LED Brightnesson November 7, 2020 at 4:00 pm
Pulse Width Modulation is definitely the preferred method of dimming an LED with a microcontroller, but we were interested in hearing about a different method called Binary Code Modulation.
- Motor drive addresses electric vehicleson October 29, 2020 at 5:00 pm
The systems split the motor's operation into three ranges. At low speed it operates in pulse width modulation mode only; in the second, it operates with pulse width modulation and phase advancement, ...
- Global Pulse Width Modulation (PWM) Controllers Market 2020 Industry Analysis, Key Drivers, Business Strategy, Opportunities and Forecast to 2025on October 27, 2020 at 10:57 pm
Global Pulse Width Modulation (PWM) Controllers Market 2020 by Manufacturers, Type and Application, Forecast to 2025 reveals the overview of the global industry, encompassing the latest industry data ...
- Performing Key Switch-Mode Power Supply Measurements on an Oscilloscopeon October 21, 2020 at 1:58 am
Modulation analysis is useful for characterizing the pulse-width modulation feedback from the DC output to the switching transistor’s gate terminal for dynamic voltage regulation. It also can ...
- A Beginner's Guide to Buying Your First Synthesizeron October 13, 2020 at 4:59 pm
Synthesists not only get saw, square, and triangle oscillators, but also further processing for each type: Ultrasaw to detune and fatten up the saw wave, Pulse Width Modulation for the square wave, ...
- Controlling Brushed DC Motors Using PWMon March 6, 2020 at 9:53 am
This can be done by a continuous linear regulation power supply or pulse width modulation (PWM). Linear regulation is generally inefficient and a requires a larger housing. Moreover, in battery ...
- Korg ARP 2600 FS Semi-Modular Analog Synthesizer Systemon February 23, 2020 at 1:01 am
The Pulse wave of Oscillator 2 and Oscillator 3 include a manual Pulse Width control, and Pulse Width Modulation is available on Oscillator 2. One Audio oscillator can be used to modulate the ...
- Implementation of SVPWM Based Three Phase Inverter Using 8 Bit Microcontrolleron October 19, 2017 at 8:08 am
In this paper, the authors describe the digital implementation of Space Vector Pulse Width Modulation (SVPWM) technique using 8-bit microcontroller for three-phase inverter. For control of IM ...