At the IAA International Motor Show, KIT Presents Innovations for Electric Mobility – Modular Battery Concept for Efficient Operation of an Electric Bus
Electric mobility may be economically efficient today. Battery-based electric drives can be applied efficiently in urban buses, for instance. Frequent acceleration and slow-down processes as well as a high utilization rate in short-distance traffic make their use profitable even when considering current battery costs. At the IAA International Motor Show in Frankfurt, Karlsruhe Institute of Technology (KIT) will present an e-city bus demonstrator to illustrate the concept (Hall 3.1, D13).
The key modules of the demonstrator are a drive train with a high-torque electric motor, a high-voltage network, a battery management system, and a novel modular battery system with lithium-ion cells made in Germany. At the IAA, the demonstrator developed for drive tests will present options for the design of the electric drive train of buses.
Using the demonstrator, the innovation potential of KIT’s research results can be validated and interaction of the components can be analyzed experimentally under the simulated operating conditions. “In this way, the demonstrator contributes to the further development of electric mobility,” Andreas Gutsch, coordinator of the Competence E project at KIT, explains.
The battery system consists of flat modules that can be stacked to reach the dimensions and electric characteristics desired. Various spaces in the different types of vehicles can be used for accommodating the energy storage system. The battery management system and drive control developed for the KIT demonstrator allow for driving operation taking into account the current performance limits of the system and its components.
“Energy efficiency of an electric bus can be increased by an adequate selection of components already,” says Martin Gießler, Head of the demonstrator development project. “Of course, an anticipatory operation and recuperation strategy plays an important role.” By means of recuperation, braking energy is converted into electrical energy again. The drive consists of a low-torque engine supplying a high driving torque for the vehicle. The engine is connected directly with the differential gear of the rear axle. It decreases the gear reduction to be implemented and, hence, ensures a high efficiency of torque transmission.
The Latest Bing News on:
- castAway modular smartphone case lets you add a second screen, battery, controller and moreon June 28, 2020 at 2:08 am
The team responsible for creating the castAway screen smartphone case have added new perks for people to enjoy via Indiegogo, enabling backers to now ...
- The AR Apple Glasses could arrive with a modular designon June 27, 2020 at 2:32 am
There's been plenty of buzz around the idea of Apple launching some augmented reality specs in the style of Google Glass, but as yet nothing has been made official. Now a newly published patent ...
- Cassidy, Behnken begin final series of space station battery upgradeson June 26, 2020 at 10:39 pm
If you would like to see more articles like this please support our coverage of the space program by becoming a Spaceflight Now Member. If everyone who enjoys our website helps fund it, we can expand ...
- Spacewalking astronauts tackle battery upgrade at space stationon June 26, 2020 at 12:46 pm
Two NASA astronauts began an epic battery swap in a spacewalk outside Friday (June 26), the first of four excursions to upgrade the outpost. NASA a ...
- ZincFive releases nickel-zinc battery cabinet for megawatt class UPSon June 26, 2020 at 9:04 am
Nickel-zinc battery and solutions company ZincFive has unveiled a new battery cabinet for megawatt-class uninterruptible power supply systems in data centers. The company says its ZincFive UPS Battery ...
- Modular 'Apple Glass' frame components may offer opportunities for expansionon June 25, 2020 at 8:43 am
Rather than augmented reality, the "Apple Glass" may have detachable arms that can be swapped for different functionality, including the ability to control devices in the real world.
- Leaked Tesla emails tell the story of a design flaw discovered in 2012 in the Model S battery that could lead to breakdowns and fireson June 25, 2020 at 7:08 am
Tesla knew its Model S had a design flaw that could lead to leaks in the car's battery pack, but rushing cars out to customers came first.
- Apple Patent illustrates Future Smartglasses Offering a Modular Design allowing users to exchange parts for Different Functionalityon June 25, 2020 at 4:19 am
Today the US Patent & Trademark Office published a patent application from Apple that reveals a potential modular design for their future smartglasses so that users can exchange components for ...
- The world’s fastest modular power station expands to give you infinite eco-friendly power!on June 24, 2020 at 5:50 am
EcoFlow R600 is that ray of hope, it is the world’s fastest charging power station that is modular, powerful, and eco-friendly! Power outages are sudden and last for hours or days even, so one must ...
- Northvolt, Vattenfall launch modular battery storageon June 23, 2020 at 1:51 am
Northvolt and Vattenfall have launched a new battery energy storage unit, Voltpack Mobile System, which the two Swedish companies said is a modular lithium-ion battery system envisioned as a ...
The Latest Google Headlines on:
The Latest Bing News on:
- Electric Buses To Enter The Transportation Fleet At HCPSSon June 29, 2020 at 3:35 pm
The Howard County Public School System will participate in a pilot program using two electric school buses that will replace diesel ones.
- Vaccine and EV Growth Are Catalysts for General Electricon June 29, 2020 at 12:09 pm
With GE stock reeling in 2020 and GE poised to benefit from a Covid-19 vaccine and the EV revolution, now is a good time to buy the shares.
- The Electric Car Revolution Is Thriving Thanks to This Breakthroughon June 29, 2020 at 11:42 am
I’m not exaggerating when I say this transformation of the car industry — one aspect of what I call Transportation 2.0 — will lead to trillions of dollars sloshing around in the coming decades. It all ...
- Cadillac Lyriq EV debut date, Arrival electric bus, base Porsche Taycan: Today’s Car Newson June 29, 2020 at 8:50 am
The upcoming Cadillac Lyriq EV will spark a new look for the GM luxury brand. A UK company shows us its minimalist style translated to buses. And Porsche reveals the base-model Taycan. This and more, ...
- Arrival reveals an electric bus that fits right into its stylish EV ecosystemon June 29, 2020 at 6:30 am
UK-based EV maker plans to target markets all over the world with up to 1,000 microfactories assembling its vision of electrified transit.
- This new electric public bus concept has a rooftop skylight and modular seats that can be moved to promote social distancingon June 28, 2020 at 5:38 am
The bus's price is comparable to a normal fuel-burning bus, allowing its purchaser to save money long term, according to Arrival.
- IDTechEx Forecast the Battery Electric Bus Fleet to Increase to 817,000 Vehicles by 2030on June 25, 2020 at 9:06 am
The bus market is at a crossroads. The pressing need for cities around the world to improve air quality, alongside commitments by many governments to address climate change, are powering plans to ...
- India-based JBM Group produces pure electric buses equipped with fast-charging batteries from Microvaston June 21, 2020 at 8:31 pm
India-based JBM Group will partner with Microvast, a Chinese provider of fast-charging battery power systems, to produce pure electric buses. The 9 and 12-meter electric buses come equipped with ...
- Arrival's electric bus is designed for coronavirus-era social distancingon June 17, 2020 at 11:00 am
Public transportation is important, but poses a challenge to the social distancing required by the coronavirus pandemic. Arrival wants to change that.
- Electric Truck Unicorn Arrival Revamps The Transit Bus For A Post-Coronavirus Eraon June 17, 2020 at 5:05 am
The Hyundai-backed startup that's preparing to build electric delivery trucks for UPS wants to revamp the humble transit bus with a boxy model with a subway car-like interior designed to ease ...