The soldier’s uniform isn’t what it used to be.
Not much later this decade, elite warfighters such as U.S. Special Forces could be wearing high-tech battle suits that offer flexible armor to protect against bullets and shrapnel, exoskeleton technology that offers super-human strength, heating and air conditioning to withstand the elements, wearable computers and displays, and conformal radio equipment and antennas for situational awareness.
U.S. Special Operations Command at MacDill Air Force Base, Fla., have approached industry for technologies that could be applied to such futuristic warfighter apparel as part of the technologies for a tactical assault light operator suit (TALOS ).
For now, this integrated battle suit would be strictly for special operations warfighters who must operate silently and unseen behind enemy lines, but if successful and affordable, this kind of electronics-embedded battle suit could see wider use.
SOCOM officials envision a future warfighter’s battle suit that not only makes broad use of embedded electronics, but also that generates much of its own power. the TALOS solicitation specifically calls out the need for power scavenging, renewable energy, and power distribution.
The Latest on: High-tech warfighter
- See This New U.S. Navy Missile? It Could Change (And Kill) Everythingon July 20, 2019 at 7:14 pm
"A single missile in a single launch tube could thereby provide the warfighter with a range of ... but as the U.S. Navy re-arms for high-tech warfare, the SM-6 is the missile to watch. ... […]
- UK Reveals High-Tech Programs in Air, Space and Propulsionon July 19, 2019 at 8:17 am
Air Chief Marshall Sir Stephen Hiller, Chief of the Air Staff, said, “ARTEMIS gives us the opportunity to grow skills, understand the military relevance of small satellites, and consider how to get ... […]
- Vital signs: High-tech, portable health monitor treats warfighters and civilianson August 3, 2018 at 10:23 am
a program manager in ONR's Warfighter Performance Department, which has sponsored the WVSM's development. A collaboration between ONR, the U.S. Army Institute of Surgical Research and industry partner ... […]
- High Tech trainer named Tobyhanna Warfighter of Quarteron February 21, 2018 at 8:17 am
It’s the “lightbulb moments” that make it all worthwhile, according to an Army instructor who helps hundreds of Soldiers hone their information technology (IT) skills annually. Sgt. 1st Class Rodrick ... […]
- High Tech trainer named Tobyhanna Warfighter of Quarteron February 20, 2018 at 4:00 pm
It's the "lightbulb moments" that make it all worthwhile, according to an Army instructor who helps hundreds of Soldiers hone their information technology (IT) skills annually. Sgt. 1st Class Rodrick ... […]
- Blast Test Dummy Improves Warfighter Safetyon June 15, 2016 at 3:50 am
The analysis of the data from these efforts will lead to new innovations to improve warfighter safety in a multitude of ways. The First Blast Test Dummy The human factor always needs to be at the ... […]
- Medal of Honor Warfighter Looks to Battle Through Controversyon October 30, 2012 at 6:23 pm
Two years after raising patriotic hackles by almost allowing video gamers to play as virtual Taliban, the game publisher committed another public-relations faux pas in the pre-launch phase of Medal of ... […]
- Army trainers visit company in Huntsville to say 'thanks' for high-tech tools, educate work forceon September 14, 2011 at 2:01 pm
HUNTSVILLE, Alabama -- Some of the people in Huntsville who make missiles and other equipment soldiers depend on got a "thank you" from the customers this week, along with a reminder to keep up the ... […]
- SkySat 'high-tech' balloon system aiding communications on front lineson August 15, 2011 at 6:31 am
HUNTSVILLE, Alabama -- In the midst of hypersonic rockets and high-tech satellites, the key to long-distance ... "SkySat is ideal for today's warfighter because it supports small tactical units across ... […]
- Wyle Analysis Results in Safer Armored Vehicle for the Warfighteron June 23, 2010 at 4:00 am
"Our goal is to ensure the Warfighter has the safest, best maintained vehicle to work with." Wyle is a leading provider of high tech aerospace engineering and information technology services to the ... […]
via Google News and Bing News