The soldier’s uniform isn’t what it used to be.
Not much later this decade, elite warfighters such as U.S. Special Forces could be wearing high-tech battle suits that offer flexible armor to protect against bullets and shrapnel, exoskeleton technology that offers super-human strength, heating and air conditioning to withstand the elements, wearable computers and displays, and conformal radio equipment and antennas for situational awareness.
U.S. Special Operations Command at MacDill Air Force Base, Fla., have approached industry for technologies that could be applied to such futuristic warfighter apparel as part of the technologies for a tactical assault light operator suit (TALOS ).
For now, this integrated battle suit would be strictly for special operations warfighters who must operate silently and unseen behind enemy lines, but if successful and affordable, this kind of electronics-embedded battle suit could see wider use.
SOCOM officials envision a future warfighter’s battle suit that not only makes broad use of embedded electronics, but also that generates much of its own power. the TALOS solicitation specifically calls out the need for power scavenging, renewable energy, and power distribution.
The Latest on: High-tech warfighter
- 2014 Influential Women in Defense Electronics: Jane Donaldson, President of Annapolis Micro Systems, Inc.on March 21, 2020 at 5:00 pm
My main challenges are as a businessperson in the high-tech community: Pick the right product and develop ... enabled commercial processing technology to quickly and efficiently benefit the warfighter ...
- Retrotechtacular: Hacking Wartime Mailon March 21, 2020 at 5:00 pm
While today’s warfighter might have access to a variety ... The other thing that interests me is how quickly high-tech (because, in the day this was high-tech) can rise to solve a problem ...
- Meet the Navy's Latest Cruise Missile: The SM-6 Is a Crazy Hybridon March 20, 2020 at 1:47 pm
"A single missile in a single launch tube could thereby provide the warfighter with a range of effects," missile-expert Thomas Karako ... The Tomahawk and its controversies might make headlines, but ...
- Military market one of opportunity for embedded COTS supplierson March 19, 2020 at 5:00 pm
MIL-EMBEDDED: Disruptive technology is an often-used phrase to mark turning points in the high tech sectors. What are two or three ... and evaluating smart phone capability for use by the warfighter.
- Tom Clancy’s Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter 2 Reviewon March 5, 2020 at 6:09 am
I guess Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter 2 (GRAW2 ... and even from your high-tech toys, to give you a more scary, close-to-the-bone combat experience. Even the on-rails shooting gallery sections ...
- Army Takes AIM at Non-Traditional CWMD Technology Partnerson March 4, 2020 at 4:00 pm
This includes a rapid prototyping workshop with 3D printers and an array of other high tech tools ... by incorporating warfighter and operator input throughout the process," said Guinn.Phase ...
- Buyer and User Beware: The UAS You’re Using Could Be Spying on Youon March 3, 2020 at 4:07 pm
The combination of loitering time, multiple sensor capabilities, and battlespace access has provided information to the warfighter at unprecedented ... or co-authored 25 scholarly books and over 231 ...
- Russia, China are our biggest strategic threat – Pentagon must partner with tech sector to keep us safeon February 14, 2020 at 10:45 am
Continue Reading Below During the next decade technology will significantly impact strategic and tactical support to the warfighter ... business and deter the high tech firms as distinguished ...
- Arthur Herman: Why Patrick Shanahan should stay at Defenseon May 28, 2019 at 8:32 am
The truth is, we need a Secretary of Defense who understands that his first responsibility will be getting the Pentagon and America ready for the coming era of high-tech warfare in the 21st century.
- GE wins big in two new defense contractson September 27, 2018 at 7:34 am
“This contract coming to our community will support about 300 high-tech manufacturing jobs for ... improved mission readiness for the U.S. Navy warfighter, and this contract also helps secure ...
via Google News and Bing News