It functions a bit like a satellite, except substantially cheaper and much more versatile.
The largest robot in the AUVSI expo hall last week belonged to Titan Aerospace. It was a model of their Solara 50 robotic atmospheric satellite, and they had to chop off the tail and most of the wings to get it to fit. The Solara is intended to lift a payload to 20,000 meters and then keep it there for five years, running entirely on solar power. It functions a bit like a satellite, except substantially cheaper and much more versatile. And, you can get it back when you’re done.
It’s a little bit hard to tell from the video, but these UAVs are big. The Solara 50 is 15 meters long with a wingspan of 50 meters, and there’s an even larger one called the Solara 60, with a 60-meter wingspan. Despite its size, the Solara 50 only weighs 160 kilograms, and it can carry a 30 kg payload, which is fairly respectable.
What makes the Solara actually functional as an atmospheric satellite are two things. The first is the altitude that it’s designed to fly at: at 20,000 meters, you’re above pretty much everything. You’re looking down on clouds and weather, and the winds and temperatures are generally very stable, or at least predictable. Being that high also gives you a field of view encompassing about 45,000 square kilometers. If you were to, say, mount a cellular base station on a Solara, it would take over for a hundred cell towers on the ground.
The second thing that makes Solara work is that it’s solar powered. Every available surface on the wings and tail are covered in solar panels, and there are batteries inside the wings. During the day, Solara generates kilowatts of power, and there’s enough left over in the batteries to provide hundreds of watts all night.
The Latest Bing News on:
- IIT-Madras develops solar-powered unmanned survey craft for Indian portson November 23, 2020 at 1:30 pm
In a boost to the indiginisation of Indian maritime sector, researchers at IIT-Madras have developed a solar-powered Unmanned Autonomous Survey Craft for Indian ports and inland waterways to undertake ...
- IIT Madras researchers develop solar-powered survey craft for ports and inland waterwayson November 23, 2020 at 5:51 am
The survey craft was developed by a research team at the National Technology Centre for Ports, Waterways and Coasts (NTCPWC) at IIT Madras, which is in the process of commercializing this technology ...
- Insights on the Solar-powered UAV Global Market to 2024 - Demand for Long-Endurance Air Vehicles is Driving the Industry - ResearchAndMarkets.comon November 23, 2020 at 5:44 am
DUBLIN--(Business Wire)--The "Global Solar-powered UAV Market 2020-2024" report has been added to ResearchAndMarkets.com's offering. The solar-powered UAV market is poised to grow by $ 485.46 ...
- Insights on the Solar-powered UAV Global Market to 2024 - Demand for Long-Endurance Air Vehicles is Driving the Industry - ResearchAndMarkets.comon November 23, 2020 at 4:43 am
DUBLIN--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Nov 23, 2020--The "Global Solar-powered UAV Market 2020-2024" report has been added to ResearchAndMarkets.com's offering.The solar-powered UAV market is poised to grow by $ ...
- IIT Madras Researchers Develop Solar-Powered Unmanned Autonomous Survey Crafton November 23, 2020 at 1:46 am
This system could be equipped with an echo sounder, GPS System and broadband communication technology, capable of delivering precise depth measurements. The craft is fully solar-powered. It can endure ...
- IIT Madras Researchers Develop Solar-powered Unmanned Autonomous Survey Craft for Indian Ports & Inland Waterwayson November 22, 2020 at 11:00 pm
Indian Institute of Technology Madras Researchers have developed a Solar-powered Unmanned Autonomous Survey Craft for Indian Ports and Inland Waterways. It can undertake autonomous ...
- NZ company aims to become 'Uber of aerial intelligence' with its solar-powered aircrafton November 18, 2020 at 5:50 pm
Canterbury will be “part of the next generation of pioneers” as a local company develops a solar-powered unmanned aircraft capable of flying continuously for months. Kea Aerospace celebrated its ...
- Kea To Fly Stratospheric Unmanned Platform In New Zealandon November 18, 2020 at 11:49 am
New Zealand start-up Kea Aerospace has unveiled plans to develop a stratospheric unmanned aircraft, aiming initially at the aerial imagery market. The Christchurch-based company is testing subscale ...
- Nadia Shakoor is changing the face of farming with droneson November 16, 2020 at 8:55 am
How long will the drones be airborne each day ... and the data you want to collect. Also, it’s going to be solar powered. We thought, Sensors are extremely low-power, and solar panels are so efficient ...
The Latest Google Headlines on:
The Latest Bing News on:
- SpaceX launches 60 more Starlink internet satellites in 100th Falcon 9 launchon November 24, 2020 at 6:57 pm
The Falcon 9 rocket's first stage set a new record, making its seventh flight from Cape Canaveral Air Force Station in Florida.
- SpaceX launches 60 more internet satellites in 100th Falcon 9 flighton November 24, 2020 at 5:57 pm
A time exposure captures the fiery trajectory of a SpaceX Falcon 9 rocket climbing away from the Cape Canaveral Air Force Station carrying 60 Starlink internet relay satellites. It was the ...
- NASA satellite to monitor sea level rise, affects of climate change over next decadeon November 23, 2020 at 12:22 am
The satellite will collect 'the most accurate data yet on global sea level and how our oceans are rising in response to climate change,' NASA said.
- SpaceX launches NASA-European satellite to monitor rising sea levelson November 22, 2020 at 4:51 am
European project to precisely measure rising sea levels, a major consequence of global warming, streaked into orbit from California Saturday atop a SpaceX Falcon 9 rocket. By timing how long it takes ...
- US-European Ocean Monitoring Satellite Launches from Vandenberg Air Force Baseon November 22, 2020 at 4:00 am
European satellite designed to extend a decades-long measurement of global sea surface heights was launched into Earth orbit from California on Saturday. A SpaceX Falcon 9 rocket carrying the ...
- SpaceX rocket deploys latest NASA satellite into orbit after Santa Barbara County launchon November 22, 2020 at 1:39 am
The rocket’s smoky trail was visible for many miles around as it powered the satellite into orbit, then reversed course and returned to Vandenberg for recovery and use in future missions.
- US-European ocean monitoring satellite launches into orbiton November 21, 2020 at 4:00 pm
A U.S.-European satellite designed to extend a decades-long measurement of global sea surface heights was launched into Earth orbit from California on Saturday.
- New satellite that tracks ocean level rise lifts offon November 21, 2020 at 3:39 pm
European satellite that will monitor global sea levels and help our understanding of climate change on Saturday.
- NASA launches U.S.-European satellite to track sea level riseon November 21, 2020 at 2:27 pm
A U.S.-European satellite designed to extend a decades-long measurement of global sea surface heights was launched into Earth orbit from California on Saturday. A SpaceX Falcon 9 rocket carrying the ...
- SpaceX Launches a NASA Ocean-Monitoring Satellite into Orbiton November 21, 2020 at 1:25 pm
Hawthorne-based SpaceX launched a NASA ocean- monitoring satellite into orbit Saturday from Vandenberg Air Force Base in central California. Residents in parts of Santa Barbara, Ventura and San Luis ...