Not Quite Yet, but in the Journal “Physics of Plasmas,” Researchers from National Ignition Facility Show Just How Close We’ve Come
The dream of igniting a self-sustained fusion reaction with high yields of energy, a feat likened to creating a miniature star on Earth, is getting closer to becoming reality, according the authors of a new review article in the journal Physics of Plasmas.
Researchers at the National Ignition Facility (NIF) engaged in a collaborative project led by the Department of Energy’s Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory, report that while there is at least one significant obstacle to overcome before achieving the highly stable, precisely directed implosion required for ignition, they have met many of the demanding challenges leading up to that goal since experiments began in 2010.
The project is a multi-institutional effort including partners from the University of Rochester’s Laboratory for Laser Energetics, General Atomics, Los Alamos National Laboratory, Sandia National Laboratory, and the Massachusetts Institute of Technology.
To reach ignition (defined as the point at which the fusion reaction produces more energy than is needed to initiate it), the NIF focuses 192 laser beams simultaneously in billionth-of-a-second pulses inside a cryogenically cooled hohlraum (from the German word for “hollow room”), a hollow cylinder the size of a pencil eraser. Within the hohlraum is a ball-bearing-size capsule containing two hydrogen isotopes, deuterium and tritium (D-T). The unified lasers deliver 1.8 megajoules of energy and 500 terawatts of power—1,000 times more than the United States uses at any one moment—to the hohlraum creating an “X-ray oven” which implodes the D-T capsule to temperatures and pressures similar to those found at the center of the sun.
“What we want to do is use the X-rays to blast away the outer layer of the capsule in a very controlled manner, so that the D-T pellet is compressed to just the right conditions to initiate the fusion reaction,” explained John Edwards, NIF associate director for inertial confinement fusion and high-energy-density science. “In our new review article, we report that the NIF has met many of the requirements believed necessary to achieve ignition—sufficient X-ray intensity in the hohlraum, accurate energy delivery to the target and desired levels of compression—but that at least one major hurdle remains to be overcome, the premature breaking apart of the capsule.”
The Latest on: Fusion
- 7/6 MLW “Kings of Colosseum” TV taping spoilers: Full results of matches taped for upcoming episodes of MLW Fusion (spoilers)on July 6, 2019 at 11:22 pm
Note: Kevin was late arriving to the show, so please forgive any confusion regarding the first four match results. 1. A masked member of Contra Unit beat Isaias Velazquez (may have been a dark match). ... […]
- SPOILER: New MLW Tag Team Champions Crowned At MLW Fusion Tapings In Chicagoon July 6, 2019 at 8:48 pm
The title bout will air within the next few weeks. This is the second title change to occur at the event, following Jacob Fatu's dethroning of "Filthy" Tom Lawlor to become the new MLW Heavyweight ... […]
- New Asian fusion spot PAO Detroit debuts in downtown Detroiton July 5, 2019 at 9:10 am
Hungry? A new neighborhood Asian fusion spot has you covered. Located at 114 W. Adams in Downtown, the fresh addition is called PAO Detroit. PAO Detroit offers a variety of main dishes and appetizers ... […]
- Fusion Festival 2019 full line-up including Little Mix and Rudimental headlining in Sefton Parkon July 5, 2019 at 1:20 am
Liverpool's Fusion Festival has revealed the full line-up for the Sefton Park event this year. Fusion Festival takes place across Saturday, August 31 to Sunday, September 1. The music festival will ... […]
- Dephosphorylation of HDAC4 by PP2A-Bδ unravels a new role for the HDAC4/MEF2 axis in myoblast fusionon July 4, 2019 at 2:29 am
Muscle formation is controlled by a number of key myogenic transcriptional regulators that govern stage-specific gene expression programs and act as terminal effectors of intracellular signaling ... […]
- Capture life in 360 degrees for under $300 with this half-off GoPro Fusion dealon July 3, 2019 at 3:56 pm
GoPro’s Fusion 360 camera packs in the most potential for an immersive camera that we’ve seen yet — but the list price reflects that potential. But with a price cut at B&H Photo Video, the GoPro ... […]
- Cool off at Universal’s Volcano Bay with Waturi Fusion ice creamon July 3, 2019 at 9:37 am
Volcano Bay is a dichotomy of hot and cool, but the Waturi Fusion ice cream helps guests get even cooler — and super colorfully — as Orlando temperatures climb. “It’s one of those Instagrammable items ... […]
- Tiny granules can help bring clean and abundant fusion power to Earthon July 2, 2019 at 6:24 pm
Physicists have concluded that injecting tiny beryllium pellets into ITER could help stabilize the plasma that fuels fusion reactions. Beryllium, a hard, silvery metal long used in X-ray machines and ... […]
- Global Multimodal Image Fusion Software Market 2019-2025 Revenue & Trend Analysis By Top Players Aditya Birla Minacs, Atento, Concentrix, etc.on July 2, 2019 at 5:30 am
Jul 02, 2019 (marketresearchupdates.com via COMTEX) -- The prime objective of the Multimodal Image Fusion Software market report is to help the user understand the market in terms of its definition, ... […]
- Viking's Choice: Organ Drone, Purple Metal, Hypercolor Fusionon July 1, 2019 at 9:00 pm
That's right, y'all — another week, another mix featuring ridiculously over-the-top metal from both Japan's Gyze and Babymetal (who just announced Asian Chaos and Metal Galaxy, respectively), a wild ... […]
via Google News and Bing News