One of the limiting factors of 3D-printing is the actual size of the printer.
To 3D-print large objects, you’ll either have to divide the object into several parts or find yourself a large 3D-printer.
In collaboration with Natan Linder and Yoav Reches of Formlabs and with funding from Ars Electronica, the two researchers came up with Hyperform, a method that uses material folding techniques as a computational design strategy as well as assembly strategies to enable designers to compress large objects into the bed space of any 3D-printer and then lay them out and assemble them after printing.
When the object comes out of the printer, it basically looks like a long string of chain links with multidirectional notches to allow for easy assembly. The chains and notches are created in a way that they will only snap and bend in the direction that they are supposed to.
The researchers demonstrated the method by 3D-printing a 50-foot chain which they hung from the roof of a building. They were also able to create a chandelier to demonstrate the assembly process and show the potential of Hyperform when it comes to creating large items.
The research team intends to open up Hyperform to other designers and architects who may have other ideas on how the method can be used or developed further.
The Latest Bing News on:
- Aurora Labs secures Japanese patent for 3D printing techon October 13, 2020 at 3:53 am
ASX-listed 3D metal printing group, Aurora Labs, has been granted another patent for a key part of its Multi-Layer Concurrent Printing, or “MCP” technology, this time in Japan. Only last month the ...
- Worldwide Superalloy Honeycomb Materials Industry to 2027 - Development in 3D Printing Technologies Presents Opportunitieson October 13, 2020 at 2:43 am
The "Global Superalloy Honeycomb Materials Market by Material Type and Application: Global Opportunity Analysis and Industry Forecast, 2020-2027" report has been added to ResearchAndMarkets.com's ...
- Sharjah Research Technology and Innovation Park opens largest 3D Printing exhibition in the regionon October 9, 2020 at 5:00 pm
SHARJAH, 11th October, 2020 (WAM) -- The biggest 3D printing exhibition in the Middle East opens today and will run daily until 11th December at the Sharjah Research Technology & Innovation Park, SRTI ...
- Industrial 3D Printing Market worth $5.3 billion by 2025 - Exclusive Report by MarketsandMarkets™on October 9, 2020 at 6:30 am
According to the new market research report "Industrial 3D Printing Market by Offering (Printers, Materials, Software, Services), ...
- University of Nottingham Ningbo China Scholar Earns Patent for Intellectual Property Protection in 3D Printingon October 8, 2020 at 11:49 pm
Professor Hing Kai Chan and his team recently had a new patent registered, which could track and protect intellectual property in 3D printing.
- Inside Relativity Space's 3D-printing rocket 'factory of the future'on October 8, 2020 at 10:35 am
Rocket builder Relativity Space this summer moved into its new headquarters in Long Beach, California. "The new printers are operational and actually printing our first flight parts right now, so we ...
- Metal 3D Printing Market Estimated To Reach USD 14.56 Billion By 2027 : Grand View Research Inc.on October 8, 2020 at 9:36 am
Metal 3D Printing Market Growth & Trends. The global metal 3D printing market is estimated to reach USD 14.56 billion by 2027, according to the new report by Grand View Research, ...
- 3D Printing Revolutionizing Auto Industry: 3 Stocks in Focuson October 8, 2020 at 6:58 am
For a very long time, 3D printers were traditionally used in the auto industry for creating automotive prototypes. However, the range of 3D printing applications in the auto industry has been ...
- 3D Printing in Healthcare Market Will Generate Massive Revenue In Coming Years | Stratasys Ltd., 3D System Corporation, Aram AB, Materialize NVon October 8, 2020 at 6:47 am
Download Free Sample Copy of ‘ 3D Printing in Healthcare market’ Report @ Global 3D Printing in Healthcare Market to reach USD XX billion by 2025. Global 3D Printing in Healthcare Market valued ...
- Tesla (TSLA) looks to ‘rapidly grow’ 3D printing manufacturingon October 7, 2020 at 10:02 am
Tesla (TSLA) is looking to get into 3D printing at Gigafactory Nevada, according to a new job posting from the automaker. Stocks in the 3D printing industry, also known as additive manufacturing, are ...
The Latest Google Headlines on:
The Latest Bing News on:
3D-printing large objects
- Best Prime Day 3D Printer Deals You Can Get Right Nowon October 13, 2020 at 12:23 am
Prime Day is a good time to buy a 3D printer. We've rounded up the best 3D printers and the best 3D printer deals, updated for Prime Day 2020.
- Industrial 3D Printing Market worth $5.3 billion by 2025 - Exclusive Report by MarketsandMarkets™on October 9, 2020 at 6:54 am
According to the new market research report "Industrial 3D Printing Market by Offering (Printers, Materials, Software, Services), Application (Manufacturing, Prototyping), Process, Technology, ...
- X-Carve Pro: A big step up for the Inventables X-Carve desktop CNCon October 7, 2020 at 7:29 am
Carve CNC, have announced a Pro model aimed at designers and professionals looking for an easy-to-use device that can increase their production output and turnaround speed.
- How This $140 Million Design Software Startup Uses Math To Help Power The Shift To 3D Printingon October 6, 2020 at 3:33 am
As 3D printing takes hold as a means for mass production ... CAD software works in 2D, representing objects as a mesh of smaller polygons that extrapolates out to 3D for manufacturing, rather ...
- MENA 3D Printing Market is expected to exceed US$ 1 Billion by 2025 |CAGR: 12.7%| UnivDatos Market Insightson October 5, 2020 at 8:04 am
For instance, in 2019, 3DVinci Creations and Ai Build Sign Agreement to Expand Large-Scale 3D Printing Use in the UAE. WinSun agreed to provide 100 3D Printers to the Saudi Arabian Contractor for ...
- Azul 3D Announces Development Collaboration With DuPonton October 5, 2020 at 6:04 am
D-printing startup Azul 3D has formed an exclusive development collaboration with DuPont Electronics & Imaging to bring next-generation 3D printing technologies to the forefront of the electronic ...
- Draw physical objects in mid air with this awesome little deviceon October 4, 2020 at 5:00 pm
3D printing was a huge trends a few years ago ... It’s very affordable and it lets you draw actual physical 3D objects in mid air! MYNT3D Professional Printing 3D Pen with OLED Display $59.99 ...
- CES2017: Really Fast 3D Printing For Large Buildson October 2, 2020 at 5:00 pm
These print heads work together to build large objects very quickly. Autodesk open sourced the design of the Escher, and now it’s made it into commercial production thanks to Titan Robotics.