New research from the Niels Bohr Institute shows that cement made with waste ash from sugar production is stronger than ordinary cement.
The research shows that the ash helps to bind water in the cement so that it is stronger, can withstand higher pressure and crumbles less. At the same time, energy is saved and pollution from cement production is reduced.
Cement is comprised of chalk and clay, which are mixed together and heated at high temperatures in a cement kiln. The mixture is then crushed into a powder. When the cement powder is mixed with water a chemical process takes place, which causes the cement mixture to harden. Cement is used as a building material throughout the world.
In some countries where sugar cane is grown, agricultural waste product from sugar production has been added to the cement mixture for many years. Once the sugar has been extracted from the sugar can you are left with a lot of fibre waste, which is used as fuel for energy production. From the energy production you get a lot of ash, which needs to be disposed of. In some countries, like Cuba and Brazil, the ash is added into cement mixtures.
“I have been studying cement using quasi-elastic neutron scattering for several years and researchers from Brazil asked whether I wanted to analyse samples of cement mixed with waste products in the form of sugar cane ash. I decided to say yes to the project, which aimed to investigate the properties on a nano-scale and map the mobility of water in the cement. The quality and strength of cement is directly related to how much of the water is chemically bonded. The more the water can move around, the worse it is for the strength and durability,” explains Heloisa Bordallo, who does research in nanophysics at the Niels Bohr Institute at the University of Copenhagen.
Neutron scattering reveals water
Heloisa Bordallo was sent a number of cement samples from Brazil. The samples contained varying amounts of ash from sugar can production. Their innermost dynamics were then examined. This took place at the ISIS facility in the UK. The samples were placed in an instrument where they were bombarded by neutrons.
“Using neutron scattering, we can see how the water inside the sample moves. Neutrons are shot into the sample and when neutrons hit the water’s hydrogen atoms, they interact and the neutrons scatter and are picked up by the detectors. We repeat this for several hours and by analysing the data we can determine how the water inside the sample is moving and also determine its local environment,” explains Johan Jacobsen, who performed the experiments as part of his thesis for the graduate programme in physics at the Niels Bohr Institute.
The experiments showed that the cement mixed with approx. 20 percent ash had good properties. The water the cement pores was bound to the ash and moved around less. This explains why the ash cement is stronger, can withstand higher pressure and will crumble less.
Potential for environmentally friendly ash cement
Cement typically takes a week to solidify. After one month, 70 percent of the process has been completed, but the process continues for many years. Ordinary cement is generally stronger during the first few months than the ash cement, but after a year the ash cement is stronger than the ordinary cement.
The Latest Bing News on:
Environmentally friendly cement
- UAE architects offer salt as alternative to cementon June 26, 2020 at 9:43 pm
(MENAFN - Khaleej Times) Two Dubai-based architects have proposed an environmentally-friendly cement alternative, inspired by the sabkhas (salt flats) of the UAE. Wael Al Awar and Kenichi Teramoto of ...
- WZMH Architect’s Smart Building Cutting-Edge Technology 'Intelligent Structural Panel' ISPon June 26, 2020 at 7:56 pm
TORONTO, ONTARIO, CANADA / ACCESSWIRE / June 26, 2020 / The vision of WZMH Architect's Intelligent Structural Panel is conceptually simple: take all the components and processes that go into construct ...
- What to do when your foundation has crackson June 26, 2020 at 2:54 pm
When moisture infiltrates cement, the rebar starts to rust and swell ... a non-corroding composite material is applied over and around the rebar. The result is an environmentally-friendly solution ...
- A Sustainable Solution for Making Ordinary Portland Cement Extraordinaryon June 26, 2020 at 7:53 am
PLC is an environmentally friendly solution to reducing the overall carbon footprint of cement and concrete based products. Customers currently using ordinary portland cement can now use ADVANCEMENT ...
- How I Built an Eco-friendly Mud Home Within a Strict Budgeton June 26, 2020 at 1:18 am
Kerala: Sunny Nelson is a 33-year-old former Merchant Navy officer, who retired from work and built an eco-friendly mud home within a strict budget.
- sekhina handcrafts concrete switches + sockets as sustainable alternative to plasticon June 25, 2020 at 3:40 am
hungarian company sekhina is handcrafting switches and sockets made entirely from concrete as a more sustainable alternative to plastic ones. the products come in different colors and textures, from ...
- Alleyne Ave, Torquay eco-friendly beach house hits the marketon June 24, 2020 at 7:04 am
Traditional beach shack meets eco-friendly “floating box” at a nature-loving Torquay family’s eye-catching coastal home.
- Team develops eco-friendly, flame-retardant carbon plastic ideal for recyclingon June 24, 2020 at 5:29 am
A flame-retardant carbon-fiber-reinforced composite material has been developed. Korea Institute of Science and Technology (KIST) announced that a research team from its Institute of Advanced ...
- Decorative Concrete Market Size, Share, Demand and Clinical Analysis 2020 to 20268on June 23, 2020 at 2:06 pm
Global Decorative Concrete Market to Grow due to Rising Shift towards Green Building The decorative concrete market is anticipated to grow, owing to the increase in acceptance of sustainable and green ...
- Sunil Chhetri & Sourav Ganguly come together in JSW Cement's new TVCon June 19, 2020 at 10:34 pm
JSW Cement, India’s leading producer of Green Cement and part of US$ 14 billion JSW Group, has brought on board former Indian cricket captain & current President of the Board of Control for Cricket in ...
The Latest Google Headlines on:
Environmentally friendly cement
The Latest Bing News on:
- Merkel and Macron cement support for €750bn EU recovery fundon June 29, 2020 at 11:15 am
European Union recovery fund as chancellor Angela Merkel met French president Emmanuel Macron at Meseberg Castle in Brandenburg on Monday. This was also the German chancellor’s first in-person meeting ...
- Synchronous Steps During Dance Cement Social Bond Tooon June 29, 2020 at 8:53 am
Dancing in a group in these social distancing times can help increase social bonding between individuals but keeping a reasonable physical distance to avoid Covid-19 would also be a better idea. Also ...
- Energy Savings Construction Announces James Hardie Fiber Cement Siding, a Durable Home Siding Solutionon June 27, 2020 at 3:16 pm
Energy Savings Construction announced today James Hardie siding, a fiber cement siding that combines beautiful design with high performance. Fiber cement siding is over five times thicker than vinyl, ...
- China's new, hardline 'wolf warrior' diplomacy is supposed to cement its dominance — but it's also uniting its rivals abroad and dividing people at homeon June 27, 2020 at 1:12 am
A new form of statecraft is taking hold in China: that of issuing insulting, brash offenses against China's critics, instead of keeping a low profile.
- Hoffmann Green Cement Technologies: Combined General Meetingon June 26, 2020 at 5:48 pm
Hoffmann Green Cement Technologies (Paris:ALHGR) (ISIN: FR0013451044, Ticker: ALHGR) ("Hoffmann Green" or the "Company"), a pioneer in low-carbon cement, informs its shareholders that its Combined ...
- NBA, union cement July 30 restart plan for Orlandoon June 26, 2020 at 10:50 am
The NBA and its players union announced they have struck a deal on a restart plan for the 2019-20 season starting July 30, including health and safety protocols. The deal between the league and the Na ...
- Global Dental Cement Market Assessment 2020-2025 by Product, Material, End-user, Geography and Vendoron June 26, 2020 at 1:29 am
The "Dental Cement Market - Growth, Trends, and Forecasts (2020-2025)" report has been added to ResearchAndMarkets.com's offering..
- Lehigh Cement is first in North America with cement EPDs developed using the new PCRon June 25, 2020 at 6:15 pm
Published on June 1, 2020, these EPDs clearly show the immediate Global Warming Potential (GWP) in Kg of CO2 equivalent reduction when ordinary portland cement (OPC) also known as GU/Type I/II is ...
- Global Cement Market Review to 2029 - with COVID-19 Impact Estimation - ResearchAndMarkets.comon June 25, 2020 at 12:40 am
The "Cement Global Market Review 2020 and Forecast to 2029 (with COVID-19 Impact Estimation)" report has been added to ResearchAndMarkets.com's offering. The ...
- Column: Black entrepreneurs work to cement their livelihoodson June 24, 2020 at 1:16 pm
Black business owners in Lake County, as those across the nation, have faced unique hurdles during the COVID-19 quarantine.