Study suggests dogs react more readily to robots that show interactive social behavior
Designers of social robots, take note. Bring your dog to the lab next time you test a prototype, and watch how your pet interacts with it. You might just learn a thing or two that could help you fine-tune future designs. So says Gabriella Lakatos of the Hungarian Academy of Science and Eötvös Loránd University, lead author of a study¹published in Springer’s journal Animal Cognition that found that man’s best friend reacts sociably to robots that behave socially towards them, even if the devices look nothing like a human.
This animal behavior study tested the reaction of 41 dogs. They were divided into two groups depending on the nature of human-robot interaction: ‘asocial’ or ‘social.’One set of dogs in the ‘asocial group’ first observed an interaction between two humans (the owner and the human experimenter) and then observed an ‘asocial’ interaction between the owner and the robot. The remaining dogs in this group participated in these interactions in the reverse order.
Then, in the ‘social group,’ one set of dogs watched an interaction between the owner and the human experimenter followed by observing a ‘social’ interaction between the owner and the robot. The remaining dogs in this group also participated in these interactions in the reverse order. These interactions were followed by sessions in which either the human experimenter or the robot pointed out the location of hidden food in both the ‘asocial’ and the ‘social’ groups.
A customized human-sized PeopleBot² with two arms and four-fingered hands were used. One of its robotic arms makes simple gestures and grasps objects. The PeopleBot does not resemble a human, but looks rather like a piece of gym equipment with a white gloved hand attached to it.
It was programmed to either perform socially enriched human-like conduct (such as calling a dog by its name) or to behave rather machine-like and in an asocial manner. The human experimenter used in tandem with the robot could only do moves similar to the device’s capabilities, and was therefore only allowed to use one hand to make specific gestures.
The level of sociality shown by the robot was not enough to elicit the same set of social behavioral reactions from the dogs that they normally display in their close relationship with humans. However, the researchers recorded definite positive social interactions between the animals and the robot. For instance, the dogs spent more time near the robot or gazing at its head when the PeopleBot behaved socially.
Furthermore, it was quite difficult for the dogs to find the hidden food when a robot pointed it out to them. However, further analysis of this result showed that the dogs were far better at finding the loot when a socially behaving robot pointed it out to them. The researchers believe that the dogs’ previous experience with the robot, while watching their owners interact with the PeopleBot, may have also influenced their attitude towards it when they confronted it during the pointing phase.
The Latest Bing News on:
- COVID Etiquette Robot Reminds Shoppers to Social Distance and Wear a Maskon November 17, 2020 at 6:13 am
Our goal is to create a safe and engaging place for users to connect over interests and passions. In order to improve our community experience, we are temporarily suspending article commenting.
- Japanese Shop Ensures Social Distancing By Hiring 'Robot Clerk'on November 17, 2020 at 5:10 am
A newly designed Robot, Robovie, ensures that people wear a mask and issues warning when they fail to obey COVID-19 protocol inside a shop.
- Are Robot Dogs Coming to Your Street Anytime Soon? Probably Not.on November 17, 2020 at 4:55 am
Robotics firm Boston Dynamics is changing hands again, highlighting the difficulties of commercializing all-terrain mobile robots.
- Robot enforces customers to wear masks, social distance at store in Japanon November 17, 2020 at 4:43 am
The robot's developer, Robovie, developed by Kyoto-based Advanced Telecommunications Research Institute International (ATR), guides customers around the sales floor at the official store of soccer ...
- South Africa: Robots Will Put People Out of Work - and Hopeon November 17, 2020 at 4:39 am
The fourth industrial revolution - in which most repetitive or labour-intensive tasks are automated - has the potential to unravel the social contract.
- Robot enforces mask-wearing, distancing at store in Japanon November 17, 2020 at 4:13 am
A robot has signed on as the newest staff member at a store in Japan, taking on the job of ensuring customers wear masks and practice social distancing to prevent the spread of the coronavirus.
- Sex Robots Should Target the Elderly and the Disabled, Experts Sayon November 17, 2020 at 12:47 am
Dr Ian Pearson—a leading futurist known for his 85 percent accuracy record—projected that sex with robots would be more common than sex with humans by the year 2050. A year later, a survey by research ...
- Could robots for sex, friendship improve our aging society?on November 16, 2020 at 3:35 pm
The current U.S. marketplace for sex robots is geared to fulfilling the needs of young, white, able-bodied, heterosexual males - a population perhaps least in need of such assistance - and ...
- Women in Robotics Update: Sarah Bergbreiter, Aude Billard, Cynthia Breazealon November 16, 2020 at 10:50 am
In spite of the amazing contributions of women in the field of robotics, it’s still possible to attend robotics conferences or see panels that don’t have a single female face. Let alone seeing people ...
- Osaka trials social-distancing robot to replace staff during pandemicon November 16, 2020 at 3:01 am
Equipped with a camera and multiple sensors, the humanoid robot is currently being trialed to curb rising infections ...
The Latest Google Headlines on:
The Latest Bing News on:
Socially behaving robot
- These Aquarius Quotes Are Perfect for Your Next Instagram Captionon November 9, 2020 at 11:18 am
Aquarians get a lot of loving teasing—they’ve been called the weirdos of the zodiac, the robots of the zodiac ... Aquarius is not necessarily the center of their social circle. They value their “me ...
- These Astrology Quotes Perfectly Describe Aquariuson November 9, 2020 at 11:03 am
Aquarians get a lot of loving teasing—they’ve been called the weirdos of the zodiac, the robots of the zodiac ... in their way of thinking and behaving in the world.” ...
- 'Westworld' Creators Explore The 'Dark Thrills' Of The Digital Ageon November 7, 2020 at 5:20 am
But there seems to be a glitch in the androids' new software update and some of them are behaving strangely ... was anticipating not just AI, not just robots, which is a target that's been ...
- Psychology Todayon October 29, 2020 at 3:37 pm
Noticing what we are attending to and how we are behaving, gives us the opportunity ... leaving you feeling drained and on edge. Checking social media in one moment may help you feel connected ...
- Psychology Todayon October 29, 2020 at 5:11 am
This kind of variety helps make social life interesting and rewarding, and there’s no reason to think we’d all be better off behaving in the exact same way. So we may be able to understand and ...
- Making smart devices ‘gender neutral’ won’t undo their deep-seated sexismon October 18, 2020 at 8:33 am
Mashable's Social Good Series is dedicated to exploring ... two researchers chart the ways that AI, robots, and other digital devices have been assigned — and play — the roles that were ...
- ADAS Meets Anthropologyon October 9, 2020 at 5:00 pm
Cefkin: The place that we started was trying to understand how people react on the road in traffic with other road users so that we could begin to extrapolate what happens when you have robots in that ...
- Futuristic sex satire ‘Lobster’ a wonderfully weird movieon October 7, 2020 at 5:01 pm
This is a story of people behaving like robots because they have been taught ... shares with them a physical deficit or some limited social point of view. They can postpone their conversion ...
- Control the robots, says Davos chiefon October 6, 2020 at 12:47 pm
With a nod to what to expect during the week ahead, Schwab said he wanted to “restore the social compact” — understood to ... and events that alternately praises and fears the rise of robots. Even ...
- Restaurant works around social distancing rules with robot waiterson September 25, 2020 at 9:53 pm
And the robot speaks, so they get that interaction,” Swannell said. The menu includes barbecue chicken wings, salmon in coconut sauce and slow-cooked beef curry. In the wake of the pandemic, venues ...