A data-sharing scheme utilizing an encryption manager shows the way towards low-cost, flexible and secure cloud storage services
Wider adoption of cloud storage services by organizations has been hindered by security and privacy issues. A consequence of storing data on the cloud is that, by its very nature, the storage infrastructure is not owned by the same organization that owns the data. In addition, the data of one user is stored along with that of many others. Traditional schemes for ensuring security can only protect data privacy by sacrificing convenient operations such as searching and sharing.
Now, Shu Qin Ren and his colleague Khin Mi Mi Aung at the A*STAR Data Storage Institute in Singapore have devised a scheme that would not only allow organizations to store data on the cloud without loss of privacy but also permit searching and sharing of the data1. The system is able to preserve the benefit of the cloud’s specialized low-cost storage infrastructure while overcoming its current privacy and flexibility limitations. “The scheme may potentially push forward the wider adoption of cloud storage usage for organizations,” says Ren.
The solution proposed by the researchers involves a central ‘key manager’, who specifically manages data authentication and access authorization. In their scheme, data stored on the cloud is encrypted by its owner and hence is indecipherable to anyone else — including the cloud storage provider. A secret key required to unlock the encryption is generated and kept by the owner, who also determines an access policy for other users. This policy is implemented by the key manager, who generates a second access key, which is then passed back to the owner. Next, the owner wraps the original encryption key in this second layer of protection. The key manager is then able to pass on the second ‘public’ key to authorized third parties to allow them to access the data.
The Latest Bing News on:
- Tennessee COVID-19 Data Sharing Plan Incites Privacy Pushbackon May 13, 2020 at 2:29 pm
After a plan to share data about novel coronavirus cases between the state health department and police agencies came to light, some officials have opted out of the agreement citing privacy concerns.
- C-Path, Provention Bio announce data sharing collaboration in type 1 diabeteson May 13, 2020 at 11:20 am
Path and Provention Bio have announced a collaboration to significantly improve the scientific community's insight into type 1 diabetes through Provention's contribution of data from the Phase III ...
- How the UK pensions industry is paving the way for open data sharing ecosystemson May 13, 2020 at 4:21 am
Nick Caley, VP of UK and Ireland at ForgeRock, explores how the UK pensions industry is paving the way for open data sharing ecosystems ...
- Data sharing and COVID-19on May 12, 2020 at 3:21 pm
As the federal government has had to adapt to the new normal of working remotely since the coronavirus shuttered office doors, a number of agencies have prioritized public data sharing in an effort to ...
- Survey: Data Sharing in the Cloud Puts Education Sector at Riskon May 12, 2020 at 11:31 am
Netwrix survey reveals that employees at 54% of educational organizations use cloud applications to share sensitive data outside of IT control and knowledge.
- Data Sharing in the Cloud Puts Education Sector at Risk of Data Breacheson May 12, 2020 at 6:00 am
Netwrix, a cybersecurity vendor that makes data security easy, today announced additional findings from its 2020 Data Risk & Security ...
- Aarogya Setu data sharing: All you need to know about the new protocolon May 12, 2020 at 12:59 am
The ‘Aarogya Setu Data Access and Knowledge Sharing Protocol, 2020’ is meant to use the data only for Covid-19 related health records and nothing else. The data is strictly to keep check on areas and ...
- Webinar: Here's how you can use video chat and data sharing tools from Carbyne911 to reduce traffic to health centerson May 5, 2020 at 12:21 pm
Live video chat, instant messaging and data sharing capabilities, dramatically reduce dispatch time, increases response efficiency, and ultimately saves lives. Learn how Carbyne911 is helping reduce ...
- Adding Gravity to Data Sharing Environmentson May 5, 2020 at 2:14 am
All three engines are powered by the company’s proprietary Gravity architecture, a fully-realized device ecosystem that enhances existing protocols to remove limitations and create new ways to connect ...
- Chinese mobile data sharing platform uCloudlink files for a $50 million US IPOon May 4, 2020 at 2:55 pm
Cloudlink, a mobile data traffic sharing marketplace in China, filed on Monday with the SEC to raise up to $50 million in an initial public offering. uCloudlink's platforms allo ...
The Latest Google Headlines on:
The Latest Bing News on:
Data security and privacy
- Dathena Raises $12M Series A Round to Drive Global Adoption of AI-Powered Data Privacy and Security Solutionon May 13, 2020 at 4:00 pm
PRNewswire/ -- Singapore-based deep-tech company Dathena, the leader in AI-powered data protection and privacy management for global enterprises, ...
- Austin data security startup raises another $15Mon May 13, 2020 at 12:23 pm
An Austin startup focused on reducing the risk that company data gets compromised or falls out of compliance with policies and regulations has raised $15 million in new funding. Altr Solutions Inc., ...
- Notification About Data Security Incident For Wright County Residentson May 13, 2020 at 10:07 am
May 13, 2020. Wright County, Minnesota - Notification of Data Security Incident. This notice is to inform Wright County residents ...
- HID Global and Keyfactor collaborate to improve how organizations secure data and protect privacyon May 12, 2020 at 3:33 pm
HID Global and Keyfactor have announced a collaboration that will improve how organizations secure data and protect privacy.
- Two Schwabe attorneys on how businesses can reduce online privacy, security and accessibility risks through digital spring cleaningon May 12, 2020 at 2:29 pm
COVID-19 has people spending more time online than ever, and recent developments related to internet privacy, security and accessibility present new risks to businesses that offer web content and ...
- Buying an old Android phone? What you should know about privacy and securityon May 10, 2020 at 11:45 am
If your Android phone is not running the latest software OS, your security and privacy might be in jeopardy. Would you share pictures like this if you knew hackers could see everything on your phone?
- 5 things developers should know about data privacy and securityon May 8, 2020 at 1:50 pm
Cambridge Analytica world, developers are more important than ever to the data privacy and security of the software they build.
- Balancing Public Health And Data Privacy: Where Does COVID-19 Meet Cybersecurity?on May 7, 2020 at 10:28 pm
Can technology ensure our data privacy rights are maintained, even with the data-sharing challenges COVID-19 has created? While limits on data privacy rights seem to have had impact in curtailing the ...
- Zoom to implement additional security and privacy measures after NYAG investigationon May 7, 2020 at 7:03 pm
It will create and maintain a 'comprehensive data security program' that aims to protect user personal information.
- HITRUST Furthers Focus on Asia as Part of Its Global Privacy and Security Strategyon May 6, 2020 at 6:00 am
HITRUST® furthers its focus on Asia as part of its global privacy and security strategy for third-party risk, launches Asia Advisory Council.