Diesel-addicted remote communities pin hopes on energy storage technology
In Sandy Lake, Ontario (population 2,650), the diesel fuel that powers this remote community a thousand miles northwest of Toronto costs around $9 a gallon. And even then, in its harsh northern climate, it provides electricity only some of the time.
“There’s always problems, there’s always power outages,” grumbles Harry Meekis, capital projects manager for the Sandy Lake First Nation. “Diesel is the only source of service that we have right now. Whether that’s affordable or not, that’s the only source we have,” he added.
Needless to say, they’re looking for alternatives, and a Canadian mining company thinks it has found one in a new battery using the little-known metal vanadium.
Without any feasible storage options, renewable sources like wind turbines and solar panels can generate power only when the wind blows and the sun shines. With storage, the power could be stored and distributed whenever needed, one of the reasons storage technology is being described as the “holy grail” in renewable energy.
Multiple battery technologies are being experimented with right now, including lithium and cadmium flow batteries, but Vancouver, British Columbia-based American Vanadium thinks vanadium flow batteries could have several distinct advantages, including durability and scalability.
The battery relies on an electrolyte compound made of a mixture of vanadium, a metal commonly used to harden steel, and sulfuric acid in a container that can continuously charge and discharge. Unlike most batteries, the electrolyte would not degrade over time because the anode and cathode aren’t made out of competing material. And, since it’s mostly made of water, it’s nontoxic and can’t explode, according to Ron MacDonald, executive chairman of American Vanadium.
Mining tomorrow, revenue today
American Vanadium has taken a two-pronged approach to bringing vanadium batteries to market. The company has bought the rights to a mountainside in central Nevada that’s home to a uniquely pure vanadium deposit. It hopes to create an open-pit mine to extract the metal in about 18 months, once it has finished the permitting process with the U.S. Bureau of Land Management.
The site, known as Gibellini Hill, contains vanadium deposits at 99.995 percent purity, according to MacDonald.
“Which means it’s up to purity that we can put into battery market,” he said. “The deposit is unique. Metallurgists are saying there’s nothing else really with it.”
American Vanadium’s mine may not be operational for two years, but the company still hopes to start selling vanadium flow batteries soon. It has secured an offshore supply of electrolyte and recently signed a sales agreement with Austrian energy company Gildemeister for exclusive use of the company’s CellCube technology, a scalable energy storage system.
Gildemeister is already selling CellCubes across Europe and Asia, with the battery storing energy in towns from Germany to Siberia to Saudi Arabia. This durability in a variety of climates was attractive to American Vanadium board members.
“Gildemeister has over 100 [CellCube] installations, and over 40 significant ones,” said MacDonald. “They’ve really built it well, and they’ve built it for these climates.”
The Latest Bing News on:
- 120kWh Redflow zinc-bromine flow battery goes into operation at Swansea Universityon June 29, 2020 at 4:31 am
A 120kWh zinc-bromine flow battery storage system from Redflow has now been fully commissioned and is operating at Swansea University.
- Samsung SDI: Go with the Flow
- SA Inc must act now to take ownership of battery metals value chain – Bushveldon June 26, 2020 at 3:06 am
Bold steps need to be taken by South Africa Inc now to take ownership of a significant share of the global battery metals market, says Bushveld Minerals CEO Fortune Mojapelo. Speaking to Mining Weekly ...
- Why Does My Battery Keep Losing Its Charge?on June 25, 2020 at 2:39 pm
If your car battery keeps losing its charge, don't ignore it. Here's why it happens and what you should do about it.
- Sony WF-XB700 review: Great audio and incredible battery lifeon June 24, 2020 at 2:56 am
The audio is also tuned well enough to suit an eclectic music taste, a weakness many headphones suffer from, cheap and expensive. The XB700 is great for bass-driven Bollywood tracks, but at the same ...
- Cool metric for lithium-ion batteries could spur progresson June 23, 2020 at 5:04 am
A new measure for the rate of heat removal from battery packs gives manufacturers a simple way to compare products.
- Eos Energy Storage to Deploy its Latest Generation Battery System in Pala, California Energy Storage Yardon June 22, 2020 at 5:16 pm
In light of the wildfires impacting much of California in recent years, non-flammable, non-combustible batteries like the one made by Eos provide a way for the state to continue to install more ...
- Bajaj Chetak bookings likely to reopen in July as battery cell supply from China resumeson June 21, 2020 at 11:47 pm
Electric scooter Chetak of which bookings were halted by Bajaj Auto after an unprecedented surge, is set to see production resuming at its Pune factory soon. Bookings for the model could also reopen ...
- AusIMM goes digital for Lithium and Battery Metals Conferenceon June 21, 2020 at 4:44 pm
Coronavirus has forced the cancellation or postponement of major events worldwide, with limits on travel and the size of groups allowed to congregate within one area. The Australasian Institute of ...
- Spontaneous formation of nanoscale hollow structures could boost battery storageon June 18, 2020 at 11:01 am
Small batteries were used to study the spontaneous formation of nanoscale hollow structures. An unexpected property of nanometer-scale antimony crystals -- the spontaneous formation of hollow ...
The Latest Google Headlines on:
The Latest Bing News on:
- CBAK Energy Planned Investment in Lithium Battery Project in Jiangsu Province, Chinaon June 29, 2020 at 1:27 pm
CBAK Energy Technology, Inc. ("CBAK Energy", NASDAQ: CBAT), a world's leading lithium-ion battery manufacturer and electric energy solution provider, announced that its wholly owned subsidiary, China ...
- Cox Communications Selects EDF Renewables North America for Onsite Solar and Battery Energy Storageon June 29, 2020 at 11:12 am
EDF Renewables North America was chosen by Cox Communications to provide solar photovoltaics and battery energy storage services in support of Cox’s l ...
- Bank of America Taps Duke Energy To Expand Renewable Energy Commitmenton June 29, 2020 at 10:05 am
Through a renewable energy sleeved-power purchase agreement (PPA), the company is participating in Duke Energy's Green Source Advantage (GSA) program. The bank is the first company and financial ...
- Billionaire Hohn-Backed Fund Seeks to Boost Clean Energy in Asiaon June 29, 2020 at 9:01 am
Philanthropic groups including billionaire Chris Hohn’s Children’s Investment Fund Foundation are backing a plan to support clean energy projects in Southeast Asia as access to traditional finance is ...
- Europe Long Duration Energy Storage System Market 2020: Drivers, Restraints, Opportunities, Threats, Trends, Applicationson June 28, 2020 at 11:15 pm
Around 45 percent of its vitality are being created in the European Union, while the remainder of the vitality ...
- Energy news round up: pre-pay customers overpaying energy bills by nearly £390m per year, and moreon June 27, 2020 at 3:41 am
Pre-payment customers overpaying energy bills by nearly £390m per year . New research by comparison site CompareTheMarket suggests that over 4 million customers on pre-payment en ...
- Intersolar North America and Energy Storage North America Appoint Advisory Board to Shape 2021 Conference Programon June 25, 2020 at 11:00 am
Intersolar North America (ISNA) and Energy Storage North America (ESNA), the newly combined solar + storage events, today announced the formation of a new Advisory Board to review program content for ...
- Electron energy distribution measured for improved storage, conversionon June 25, 2020 at 7:57 am
To answer a question crucial to technologies such as energy conversion, a team of researchers at the University of Michigan, Purdue University, and the Universi ...
- CS Energy Announces Completion of the Largest Landfill Solar-Plus-Storage Project in Massachusettson June 25, 2020 at 12:02 am
CS Energy, LLC, a leading integrated energy firm that designs and builds optimized projects in the solar, storage and emerging energy industries, announced its successful completion of a 4.5 MWdc ...
- Lavle launches Proteus energy storage systemon June 24, 2020 at 11:19 am
Burlington, Wash., headquartered Lavle USA has launched its flagship Proteus lithium-ion battery energy storage system (Proteus ESS). Designed to overcome the limitations of conventional lithium-ion ...