Self-driving cars have been the talk of the automotive industry in recent times, with some major car-makers now setting dates for the debut of these vehicles in the marketplace.
The latest glimpse into this autonomous future comes from Carnegie Mellon University, where researchers have loaded a Cadillac SRX with an array of sensors that allow it to manage highway traffic, congested roadways, and even merging on and off ramps.
The Carnegie Mellon team, led by Raj Rajkumar, outfitted an average-looking 2011 Cadillac SRX with an array of radars, which are subtly hidden within the car. The SRX was chosen because “GM has been a long-term partner and sponsor,” Rajkumar tells Gizmag.
Utilizing automotive-grade sensors and radars, rather that more exotic and expensive devices, helps make the vehicle more manufacturer friendly, as well as cost effective. Though not all of the radars are certified as automotive-grade yet just yet, “they will be soon, and are known to be very reliable,” Rajkumar says. “They are placed all around the vehicle for 360 coverage.”
Like other autonomous cars, the modded SRX’s system controls general driving functions like steering, acceleration, and braking. Using the radar system, this vehicle also senses and avoids roadway hindrances, like pedestrians and cyclists. “Our Cadillac also supports V2V and V2I communications,” Rajkumar explains. This communication allows the SRX to connect with designed traffic lights and other vehicles that are equipped with the technology, making driving adjustments that much less strenuous on the radar system.
The main goal of the CMU research team is to reduce accidents, but catching up on reading during commutes has its perks as well. “The car’s electronics are simply more reliable than people and will protect drivers from their own bad behavior as well as those of others,” says Rajkumar.
The Latest Bing News on:
- The Electric Car Revolution Is Thriving Thanks to This Breakthroughon June 29, 2020 at 3:42 pm
We need the infrastructure and the technologies to make EVs run properly. And the next generation of batteries is at the forefront of making that a reality. More From InvestorPlace Why Everyone Is ...
- Elon Musk said in a leaked email that Tesla may break even during Q2 despite its US car factory closing for 2 monthson June 29, 2020 at 2:44 pm
"Breaking even is looking super tight," Musk said Monday in an internal email. "Really makes a difference for every car you build and deliver." ...
- The massive used-car market is getting the eBay treatmenton June 29, 2020 at 11:30 am
America’s $350 billion used-car market would appear to be more COVID-proof than the average factory or dealership, but it’s not without its own unique challenges. © Robert Ro ...
- Waymo and the Volvo Cars Group to develop self-driving caron June 29, 2020 at 10:57 am
Waymo and the Volvo Cars Group are set to build a self-driving car. The leading automakers are set to develop the electric driverless vehicle for ride-hailing use. Waymo will be using artificial ...
- Alphabet's Waymo and Volvo Collaborate on Driverless Carson June 29, 2020 at 5:15 am
Alphabet's (GOOGL) self-driving project, Waymo recently announces a partnership with Volvo to expand its autonomous drive ride-hailing program.
- Why Elon Musk Taunted Bezos For Being A Copycat In Amazon’s Buyout Of Zoox, An Autopilot-Like Self-Driving Car Stalwarton June 28, 2020 at 10:43 am
It is time to blare the trumpets and roll out the red carpet for some good old-fashioned maxims that explain the recent announcement of mighty Amazon buying comparatively petite Zoox, a notable ...
- Amazon Acquires Self-Driving Car Startup Zooxon June 28, 2020 at 9:25 am
Although Zoox has been trying to develop a robot taxi service, Amazon could use the same technologies to one day power self-driving delivery vehicles.
- Elon Musk starts another catfight with Jeff Bezos after Amazon buys Zoox self-driving car ventureon June 26, 2020 at 8:41 pm
Billionaire CEO Elon Musk has once again accused super-billionaire Amazon CEO Jeff Bezos of being a copycat. This time, Musk took aim at Amazon’s $1.
- Elon Musk trolls Jeff Bezos, calling him a copycat after Amazon acquires self-driving-car startup Zooxon June 26, 2020 at 8:08 pm
The Tesla CEO tweeted a cat emoji at Bezos on Friday after Amazon took another step into the autonomous-driving world.
- Amazon to buy Zoox for $1B, a self-driving car startup with Apple lineageon June 26, 2020 at 5:06 am
Online retail giant Amazon has reportedly agreed to pay over a billion dollars to buy Zoox, which was an early entrant into the autonomous car industry, and has previously hired away "Apple Car" ...
The Latest Google Headlines on:
The Latest Bing News on:
- Outlook into the Autonomous Commercial Vehicle Global Industry to 2030 - Identify Growth Segments For Investmenton June 29, 2020 at 5:21 pm
The "Autonomous Commercial Vehicle Global Market Report 2020-30: COVID-19 Growth and Change" report has been added to ResearchAndMarkets.com's offering. This report provides the strategists, marketers ...
- The CEO of Hyundai and Aptiv's autonomous-vehicle joint venture reveals the biggest mistake managers make when hiring new employeeson June 29, 2020 at 10:06 am
Karl Iagnemma described a trap that's easy for managers to fall into when evaluating candidates for a job opening.
- Driverless Car Race Heats Up Amid Coronavirus: Stocks in Focuson June 29, 2020 at 6:34 am
Over the past few years, driverless cars have been grabbing the headlines. While auto and tech giants have been betting big on futuristic robotic vehicles, the public has been mostly apprehensive ...
- Christopher Columbus And Evaluating Autonomous Vehicles As An Investoron June 27, 2020 at 1:06 pm
In recent times, the news surrounding Autonomous Vehicles has been quite active. Examples include Amazon AMZN acquiring Zoox for over a billion dollars, Mercedes and BMW joining forces to develop AV ...
- Here’s What Your Future Relationship With A Semi-Autonomous Car Could Look Likeon June 27, 2020 at 5:20 am
Harman believes the connected car of tomorrow will be a health and wellness device as much as a means of transportation.
- Jeff Bezos and Elon Musk's bitter rivalry could get a shot in the arm from Amazon's acquisition of the autonomous-vehicle startup Zooxon June 26, 2020 at 6:02 pm
Tesla CEO Elon Musk called Amazon CEO Jeff Bezos a copycat on Friday in response to the retail giant's acquisition of Zoox.
- Amazon buys autonomous vehicle startup Zoox for more than $1 billionon June 26, 2020 at 10:00 am
Amazon has agreed to acquire Zoox, a startup working on self-driving vehicle, ride-hailing service technology, in a deal reportedly worth more than $1 billion.
- Amazon acquires autonomous vehicle startup Zooxon June 26, 2020 at 7:56 am
Amazon announced it has acquired Zoox, a startup developing a range of autonomous vehicle technologies. Details of the deal weren't disclosed.
- Amazon to Buy Driverless-Vehicle Startup Zoox for $1 Billionon June 26, 2020 at 7:42 am
Amazon.com reportedly cuts a deal to buy driverless-vehicle startup Zoox for more than $1 billion in a bid to boost its autonomous-vehicle delivery efforts.
- Amazon Buys Driverless Car Startup Zoox; Terms Undisclosedon June 26, 2020 at 6:33 am
Amazon.com Inc. is buying autonomous vehicle startup Zoox Inc., a move that could potentially help the e-commerce giant slash delivery costs and create a formidable opponent to ride-hailing and ...