Scientists believe they could be on the cusp of a medical breakthrough which could bring hope to thousands of Parkinson’s sufferers.
They’ve injected brain cells from pigs into humans in a world-first clinical trial, which they believe could reverse or even halt Parkinson’s disease.
Parkinson’s patients are depending on the pigs.
Brain cells are being taken from the Auckland Island animals by Living Cell Technologies’ managing director Dr Andrea Grant, who believes they could hold the key to curing the disease.
“We’ve been able to show that in various disease models if we put these cells in into damaged tissue, they cause that tissue to regenerate,” Dr Grant says.
The technology has already proven successful in animals and this week Living Cell Technologies trialled it on a human for the first time.
“We actually drill a very small bore hole into the brain and a catheter is put down there and the cells are injected down through the catheter,” Dr Grant explains.
The cells are implanted into the damaged part of the brain. The hope is that they will cause dying human cells to grow back.
Something which leading neurologist Dr Barry Snow who specialises in Parkinson’s truly understands the importance of.
“Parkinson’s is a really difficult disease to have. I look after a lot of people with Parkinson’s and I’m very aware they need and want a better way to treat the disease,” Dr Snow says.
Already the signs are looking promising.
The Latest on: Parkinson’s
- Mark and Stacy Parkinson create new scholarship to help DACA students succeed on February 18, 2019 at 7:52 am
The Parkinsons said they believe the contributions of immigrants have helped the United States become the greatest country in the world. “What we have built in the United States is a miracle,” Mark Pa... […]
- Parkinsons Disease Drugs And Therapeutics Market|Healthy Growth in 2019 Annual Results on February 17, 2019 at 9:33 pm
Parkinson’s disease is a chronic and progressive neurological disorder where the symptoms continue and worsen with time. The primary symptoms include tremor, slow movements, rigidity, and balance diff... […]
- Global Neurostimulation Devices Market Business Overview, Challenges, Opportunities, Trends and Market Analysis by 2028 on February 14, 2019 at 12:02 am
By application, the market is divided into Pain Management, Parkinsons Disease, Urinary and Fecal Incontinence, Epilepsy, Gastroparesis. Based on geography, a market is analyzed across North America, ... […]
- Parkinsons exercise group appeals for funding on February 13, 2019 at 3:24 am
The Diss and Eye Parkinsons support group began in 2017, growing from five to 20 couples over 18 months. Exercise plays an important role in helping to keep a Parkinsons sufferer mobile and maintain t... […]
- Honda receives grant for research on Walking Assist Device and Parkinsons’ Disease on February 11, 2019 at 12:00 am
Honda R&D Americas, Inc. and The Ohio State University have been awarded a grant by The Michael J. Fox Foundation (MJFF) to research the safety and potential positive impact that Honda’s Walking Assis... […]
- Primary school and Rotary Club give funding boost to help fight Parkinsons disease on February 9, 2019 at 7:12 am
TOTTINGTON and Bury West Rotary Club has received a welcome boost to their funds to fight Parkinsons disease thanks to some kind-hearted primary school pupils and parents. St Stephen's CofE Primary Sc... […]
- Australian Dance Classes and Socials For Wheelchair Parkinsons MS Launched on February 4, 2019 at 9:52 pm
Queensland, Brisbane dance community 4 Ballroom Dance Co-op has launched age-appropriate and condition-inclusive ballroom dancing social opportunities and training for people with special medical cond... […]
- Parkinsons Exercise Group on January 24, 2019 at 2:00 am
An exercise physiologist leads individuals with Parkinson's disease through a series of stretching, strengthening, and balance exercises using therabands in a safe, comfortable, and enjoyable format. ... […]
- Global Parkinsons Disease Drugs and Therapeutics Market Insight Market Dynamics on Volume, Revenue, Size and Share Forecast Period 2017-2026 on December 18, 2018 at 7:59 pm
New York, NY -- (SBWIRE) -- 12/18/2018 -- A report on Parkinsons Disease Drugs and Therapeutics begins with a deep introduction of the global Parkinsons Disease Drugs and Therapeutics market and then ... […]
- The Fantastic Four – Another great visit with Mackay Parkinsons Support Group on October 18, 2018 at 8:26 am
This is the (fantastic) fourth occasion that I have been lucky enough to have been invited to speak with members of the Mackay Parkinsons Support group at the North Mackay Bowls Club. We are all start... […]
via Google News and Bing News