The SealBio technique invented by a team of doctors at AIIMS in the Capital has been found to cure and regenerate an infected root canal through stem cell activation
Reported advances in the field of regenerative medicine, hinging on the use of stem cells, evoke both scepticism and hope. Claims of miracle cures by unmonitored clinics for afflictions ranging from Parkinson’s disease and Alzheimer’s, multiple sclerosis, cancers, heart diseases, spinal injuries, paralysis to general symptoms of ageing have proved counter-productive. For, without certified clinical trials, such claims fall flat.
As a premier research and teaching centre, which also provides specialised medical care, the All India Institute of Medical Sciences (AIIMS) in the Capital is cautious about testimonies. These require clearance after rigorous verification.
The institute has promoted research in the application of stem cells to treat diverse maladies. A breakthrough dental regeneration technique has been developed by the Department of Conservative Dentistry and Endodontics, Centre for Dental Education and Research. A team, headed by Prof. Naseem Shah, centre chief and department head, has pioneered the SealBio technique for infected root canal cure and regeneration, where necrosis has set in. It is unique to AIIMS.
The method hinges on the premise that human intervention should facilitate natural healing by activating the body’s own regenerative power. In this case, it is achieved by the simple expedient of activating stem cells in a decaying tooth’s root canal, after it is rigorously cleaned and disinfected. The root canal is then restored to health by the gradual build up of tissue by stem cells over a period, extending from a few weeks to some months. This does away with the century-old convention of filling up the root canal, after it is cleaned up, with gutta percha, a rubber derivative.
No need for implant
Since the AIIMS method induces tissue build up, chance of saving the infected tooth is greater, precluding the need for an implant or other artificial object in the mouth. A research paper, titled ‘SealBio: A novel, non-obturation endodontic treatment based on concept of regeneration’, authored by Dr. Naseem Shah and Dr. Ajay Logani, and published in Journal of Conservative Dentistry, dated October-December 2012, details the procedure. It cites 18 case studies, of patients ranging from 15-76 years, with severely infected teeth. Activating stem cells involves ‘over-instrumentation into the periapical region’ with a very fine surgical needle so as to induce bleeding. Subsequently, the cavity in the crown is restored, and a thorough follow up of cases is done over the following months. Healing of lesions, as their size decreases, and increase in bone and cementum density is documented via X-rays. All cases showed excellent healing.
This excerpt demystifies the method so that even a lay person can understand it: “Apical cleaning, apical foramen widening and over instrumentation into periapical region were done to induce bleeding near apical foramen. It is hypothesised that the clot formed provides a scaffold into which locally residing stem cells can get seeded and the cascade of healing process can initiate.”
The Latest Bing News on:
- How dog hairs and bloodied newspaper cracked the case of ‘Jane Doe’on October 25, 2020 at 1:43 am
In a new series, Silent Witness, Crime Reporter Ava Benny-Morrison reveals how forensic science has been the key to unlocking some of NSW’s most baffling crimes.
- Colgate Announces Breakthrough Technology Designed To Revolutionize Oral Healthon October 23, 2020 at 2:08 pm
Plaqless Pro Smart Electric Toothbrush Wins Innovation Award at CES in Advance of 2020 Launch Colgate today introduces a first-of-its-kind smart toothbrush with new optic sensor technology that ...
- 8 Surprising Things That Can Happen When You Get An IUDon October 21, 2020 at 1:42 pm
Just because a side effect can happen doesn't mean it's going to happen to you. If you notice any of these after getting an IUD fitted, let your OB-GYN know. Here are some of the side effects of IUDs.
- Dr. Benjamin Emery, Dentist in Casper, WY, Completes Seven Times the Continuing Education Hours Required by the State of Wyomingon October 21, 2020 at 4:15 am
Dr. Benjamin Emery completes over 300 hours of continuing education. Dr. Emery and his team in Casper, WY raise awareness of the importance of seeing a dentist trained in ...
- Dental patient volume down by 20% amid pandemic, ADA sayson October 19, 2020 at 1:47 pm
While 99% of U.S. dental offices were open the week of Oct. 5, patient volume was down by 20% compared to pre-pandemic levels, according to the American Dental Association.
- NAM announces winners of the inaugural round of Healthy Longevity Catalyst Awardson October 18, 2020 at 11:33 am
The National Academy of Medicine, together with seven global collaborators representing nearly 50 countries and territories, today announced the winners of the inaugural round of Healthy Longevity ...
- INTRODUCING FRESH -- THE WORLD'S FIRST AND ONLY, 7- SECOND PROFESSIONAL FLOSSING SYSTEM CLINICALLY SHOWN TO REDUCE GUM DISEASE IN JUST 15 DAYSon October 15, 2020 at 6:00 am
FRESH, a new oral health company, today announced the launch of the world's first custom fit, fully automated pro flosser that deep ...
- Archaeology breakthrough: Ancient excrement may prove decisive in fighting modern diseaseson October 14, 2020 at 8:07 am
ARCHAEOLOGISTS have launched a study to compare microbiomes of our ancestors in a bid to defeat modern-day diseases.
- Washington officials tracked a live Asian giant hornet, then they lost iton October 12, 2020 at 7:15 pm
Washington’s hunt for the Asian giant hornet had a breakthrough this month followed by heartbreak. On Oct. 5, a resident was able to catch a live specimen of the invasive species and it was turned ...
- UDHI Acquires Worldwide Rights for Breakthrough Medical Patenton September 30, 2020 at 6:30 am
© 2020 Insider Inc. and finanzen.net GmbH (Imprint). All rights reserved. Registration on or use of this site constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Service and ...
The Latest Google Headlines on:
The Latest Bing News on:
- Ways to cash in on regenerative medicineon October 25, 2020 at 6:06 am
An Australian listed company is at the forefront of mass production of pharmaceutical-grade exosomes, which carry messages to other cells in the body.
- Orchard Therapeutics CEO Bobby Gaspar, M.D., Ph.D., Appointed to the Alliance for Regenerative Medicine’s 2021 Board of Directorson October 22, 2020 at 5:00 am
Orchard Therapeutics, a global gene therapy leader, today announced that the company’ s chief executive officer, Bobby Gaspar, M.D., Ph.D., has been appointed to the Alliance for Regenerative Medicine ...
- The Alliance for Regenerative Medicine Announces Election of 2021 Officers, Executive Committee, and Board of Directorson October 21, 2020 at 9:26 am
Washington, DC, Oct. 21, 2020 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- via NewMediaWire \-- The (ARM), the leading international advocacy organization dedicated to realizing the promise of regenerative medicines and ...
- Astellas Takes AIRM Opening New Regenerative Medicine Institute in Massachusettson October 21, 2020 at 5:00 am
Astellas Pharma formally opened its $120 million expanded Astellas Institute for Regenerative Medicine (AIRM) facility in Westborough, MA.
- Organicell Partners with Regenerative Care Network to Study Potential Therapeutic Benefits of Zofin™ for Patients with Heart Failureon October 20, 2020 at 4:05 am
Organicell Regenerative Medicine, Inc. (OTCBB: BPSR), a clinical-stage biopharmaceutical company dedicated to the development of regenerative therapies, announced that it has recently entered into an ...
- Accident & Injury Solutions Is the Place to Throw Light on Regenerative Medicine in Mesa and Phoenix, Arizonaon October 19, 2020 at 10:40 am
Individuals looking for treatment for injuries or Osteoarthritis can get in touch with Accident & Injury Solutions. This press release was orginally distributed by ReleaseWire Scottsdale, AZ -- ( ...
- Prop. 14 will build tomorrow’s regenerative medicine leaders. Vote yeson October 19, 2020 at 8:47 am
Now consider other areas of regenerative medicine on the horizon: insulin-producing cells for diabetics, repaired nerve cells for spinal cord injuries, gene-modified blood stem cells for sickle cell ...
- Ortho Regenerative Technologies Announces the Nomination of its New Vice-president Clinical and Medical Affairson October 19, 2020 at 4:37 am
PRNewswire/ - Ortho Regenerative Technologies Inc. (CSE: ORTH) (" Ortho RTI " or the " Company "), an emerging orthobiologics company focused on the development of novel soft tissue repair ...
- Instead of knee replacement surgery, ‘cutting edge’ medicine regenerates cartilage for the jointon October 17, 2020 at 12:00 pm
The beauty of this procedure . . . is that you can restore an area that has no cartilage left by putting in a patient’s own normal cells,” orthopedic surgeon says.
- Dr. Conway McLean Utilizes Regenerative Medicine Techniques to Heal Chronic Painon October 16, 2020 at 6:28 pm
McLean uses non-drug treatments to repair damage from old injuries and many chronic problems. – Modern medicine continues to develop beneficial ...