St George’s, University of London research has found that a drug normally given to osteoporosis sufferers could provide effective pain relief to patients with knee and hip osteoarthritis.
Bisphosphonates are a group of drugs known to change the structure of bone and are most often prescribed to patients with osteoporosis, a condition characterised by fragile bones.
It is unknown, however, whether these drugs could be used to reduce pain and discomfort for patients with the joint condition osteoarthritis, which causes cartilage damage, bony growths and sore tissue.
The researchers used existing studies to assess the effectiveness of a variety of bisphosphonates in patients suffering from osteoarthritis of the hand, knee, spine and hips.
Of 3832 patients studied, in most cases these drugs showed limited pain relief. However, a few studies did show benefit; the bisphosphonate alendronate was found to be more effective for patients with hip osteoarthritis than existing pain relieving drugs. Moreover, the use of zoledronate and alendronate, specific forms of bisphosphonates, improved pain in patients with knee and hip osteoarthritis at six months —but longer term studies are needed.
Dr Nidhi Sofat, lead researcher, said: “Osteoarthritis is the most common form of arthritis worldwide. It causes damage to bone and cartilage in the joints of affected people. Most treatment is focused around pain relief, as no robust treatments have been discovered that slow down the progression of the disease.
“Our study looked at whether there were any bisphosphonate drugs that have been shown to influence pain and/or disease progression that could be used in osteoarthritis treatment.
“We found that, generally, bisphosphonates are ineffective at managing pain associated with osteoarthritis. But zoledronate and alendronate, which are specific forms of bisphosphonates, do show the potential for effective pain management specifically in patients with knee and hip osteoarthritis.
The Latest Bing News on:
- Bisphosphonates: How Long Is Enough?on November 23, 2020 at 4:00 pm
Bisphosphonates are the mainstay of osteoporosis therapy. Extensive clinical evaluation supports their utility in stemming progression of the disease and in reducing fracture risk. In the course ...
- Unusual Tx for Hypercalcemia in Breast Cancer Patient on Dialysison November 23, 2020 at 2:06 pm
Thus, they decide to consider bisphosphonates as a therapeutic option. To determine which bisphosphonates are safe in patients with renal impairment, and at what doses, clinicians perform a ...
- California Horse Racing Boardon November 22, 2020 at 4:00 pm
New California Horse Racing Board Rule 1867.1, which becomes effective July 1, prohibits the administration of bisphosphonates to any horse within a facility regulated by the CHRB and also prohibits ...
- Oral Bisphosphonates/Oral Multivalent Cations Interactionson November 20, 2020 at 9:27 am
This information is generalized and not intended as specific medical advice. Consult your healthcare professional before taking or discontinuing any drug or commencing any course of treatment. The ...
- Docetaxel plus Prednisone or Mitoxantrone plus Prednisone for Advanced Prostate Canceron November 18, 2020 at 4:00 pm
Bisphosphonates may reduce skeletal complications, 2-4 and low-dose prednisone or hydrocortisone may be palliative in some patients. 5,6 We conducted a phase 3 study, the TAX 327 Study ...
- Osteoporosis Drugs Don't Worsen COVID-19 Risk, May Helpon November 17, 2020 at 6:49 am
Observational study supports guidelines advising continuation of osteoporosis medications during COVID-19, and even suggests possible benefit for certain agents.
- Elevation of transaminases associated with teriparatide treatment: a case reporton November 14, 2020 at 4:00 pm
This report describes the case of a 64-year-old Caucasian woman presenting with hypertransaminasemia during treatment with teriparatide for postmenopausal osteoporosis. The patient was also receiving ...
- Report Links Osteoporosis Drug to Esophagus Canceron November 12, 2020 at 4:00 pm
The report also said that "no similar U.S. reports for other oral bisphosphonates were retrieved from the FDA's database for adverse-event reporting" -- a statement that seems to spare other drugs ...
- Osteonecrosis of the Jaw (ONJ)on October 28, 2020 at 5:00 pm
ONJ is a rare, but serious side effect of certain medications that target the bone. These medications are bisphosphonates and denosumab. You may be prescribed these medications if you have: Multiple ...
- Atypical Femur Fracture Risk versus Fragility Fracture Prevention with Bisphosphonateson September 16, 2020 at 8:53 pm
Bisphosphonates are effective in reducing hip and osteoporotic fractures. However, concerns about atypical femur fractures have contributed to substantially decreased bisphosphonate use ...
The Latest Google Headlines on:
The Latest Bing News on:
- Global Osteoarthritis Pain Drugs Market 2020 Industry Overview, Competition by Manufacturers, Production Capacity by Region, Forecast by 2025on November 25, 2020 at 6:26 pm
Global Osteoarthritis Pain Drugs Market 2020 by Manufacturers, Regions, Type and Application, Forecast to 2025 describes an in-depth evaluation and the essential aspects of the market presenting ...
- Arthritis symptoms: Hard and knobbly fingers are linked to osteoarthritison November 25, 2020 at 7:03 am
ARTHRITIS can affect any joint in the body. However, take a look at your hand. Are your fingertips hard or knobbly? This could be a sign of osteoarthritis.
- NSAID Allergy Ups Risk for Opioid Abuse in Osteoarthritison November 23, 2020 at 11:17 am
An NSAID allergy doubles the risk for opioid use disorder in patients with osteoarthritis, but not all reactions to NSAIDs indicate allergy, new research shows.
- Global Osteoarthritis Pain Drugs Market 2020: Industry Size, Outlook, Share, Demand, Manufacturers and 2024 Forecast Research’son November 23, 2020 at 2:08 am
Global “Osteoarthritis Pain Drugs" Market 2024 Research Report provide in-depth study of the present state of the ...
- Osteoarthritis Drugs Market: Anti-Nerve Growth Therapy Promises a New Avenue for Growthon November 19, 2020 at 11:37 pm
The global osteoarthritis drugs market is witnessing various innovations on the horizons such as rapid pain relieving injections and disease modifying drugs, thanks to growing cases of major illnesses ...
- The Yorkshire exercise programme helping osteoarthritis suffererson November 19, 2020 at 9:01 am
An exercise programme is helping to alleviate people’s pain from osteoarthritis and avoid some treatment. Catherine Scott reports.
- Enlivex Reports Positive Two-Year Clinical Outcome For A Hospitalized Patient with Erosive Osteoarthritis Treated with Allocetraon November 19, 2020 at 12:28 am
This was the sole erosive osteoarthritis patient who has been treated with Allocetra™ to date. A 70-year-old patient experienced a four-year inflammatory and erosive process of the right ...
- New procedure offers lasting pain relief for patients with osteoarthritison November 16, 2020 at 4:29 am
A novel outpatient procedure offers lasting pain relief for patients suffering from moderate to severe arthritis in their hip and shoulder joints, according to a study presented at the annual meeting ...
- Arthritis: Three key health indicators which slow down the progression of osteoarthritison November 13, 2020 at 6:39 am
ARTHRITIS symptoms include swelling, pain, stiffness and decreased range of motion. Over time, the condition can worsen, leading to more severe flare-ups. Work on three key areas to slow down the ...
- Phase 3 Osteoarthritis Clinical Trial Commenceson November 11, 2020 at 5:02 am
(GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- Cynata Therapeutics Limited (ASX: “CYP”, “Cynata”, or the “Company”), a clinical-stage biotechnology company specialising in cell therapeutics, is pleased to announce that the ...