St George’s, University of London research has found that a drug normally given to osteoporosis sufferers could provide effective pain relief to patients with knee and hip osteoarthritis.
Bisphosphonates are a group of drugs known to change the structure of bone and are most often prescribed to patients with osteoporosis, a condition characterised by fragile bones.
It is unknown, however, whether these drugs could be used to reduce pain and discomfort for patients with the joint condition osteoarthritis, which causes cartilage damage, bony growths and sore tissue.
The researchers used existing studies to assess the effectiveness of a variety of bisphosphonates in patients suffering from osteoarthritis of the hand, knee, spine and hips.
Of 3832 patients studied, in most cases these drugs showed limited pain relief. However, a few studies did show benefit; the bisphosphonate alendronate was found to be more effective for patients with hip osteoarthritis than existing pain relieving drugs. Moreover, the use of zoledronate and alendronate, specific forms of bisphosphonates, improved pain in patients with knee and hip osteoarthritis at six months —but longer term studies are needed.
Dr Nidhi Sofat, lead researcher, said: “Osteoarthritis is the most common form of arthritis worldwide. It causes damage to bone and cartilage in the joints of affected people. Most treatment is focused around pain relief, as no robust treatments have been discovered that slow down the progression of the disease.
“Our study looked at whether there were any bisphosphonate drugs that have been shown to influence pain and/or disease progression that could be used in osteoarthritis treatment.
“We found that, generally, bisphosphonates are ineffective at managing pain associated with osteoarthritis. But zoledronate and alendronate, which are specific forms of bisphosphonates, do show the potential for effective pain management specifically in patients with knee and hip osteoarthritis.
The Latest on: Bisphosphonates
- Global Osteoporosis Drugs Market Expected to Grow with a CAGR of 4.3% During the Forecast Period, 2019-2025 - ResearchAndMarkets.comon November 20, 2019 at 4:13 pm
The "Osteoporosis Drugs Market - By Drug Class (Bisphosphonates, Parathyroid Hormone Therapy, Selective Estrogen Receptor Modulator, RANK Ligand Inhibitors, Biosimilars, and Others), By Regions (North ...
- Arthritis drugs could be repurposed to help prevent breast cancer spreading to the bone, study suggestson November 20, 2019 at 4:40 am
Research and care charity Breast Cancer Now said the findings offered “another promising step in repurposing existing drugs to try to prevent the spread of breast cancer”, following the recent ...
- Bisphosphonates for Osteoporosis — Where Do We Go from Here?on November 18, 2019 at 10:33 am
Osteoporosis, a disease characterized by reduced bone mass and increased skeletal fragility, affects 10 million Americans; another 34 million are at risk for it. Bisphosphonates are widely prescribed ...
- Global Cancer Supportive Care Drugs Markets, 2019-2026: Focus on Prevention and Management of Symptoms and Side-effectson November 14, 2019 at 4:02 pm
DUBLIN, Nov. 14, 2019 /PRNewswire/ -- The "Cancer Supportive Care Drugs Market Size, Share & Trends Analysis Report By Therapeutic Class (G-CSFs, Bisphosphonates, Antiemetics, Opioids, NSAIDs, ESAs), ...
- Undetectable drugs might have role in horse racing deathson October 28, 2019 at 7:19 pm
Horse racing has never experienced a year like this one. A spike of deaths at Santa Anita, Keeneland and tracks in New York, mixed with a controversial finish in the Kentucky Derby that prompted a ...
- Bisphosphonates for Horses: A Reviewon October 26, 2019 at 5:00 pm
Management of this disease changed significantly in 2014 when the U.S. Food and Drug Administration approved bisphosphonates for treatment. Despite the availability of this newer treatment option, ...
- RMTC Makes Recommendations on Bisphosphonates, NSAIDson August 25, 2019 at 5:00 pm
At its Aug. 19 meeting at Del Mar in Del Mar, Calif., the Racing Medication and Testing Consortium board approved a model rule for the regulation of bisphosphonates as well as further regulations and ...
- Deprescribing Bisphosphonates: The Crowdsourced Opinionon July 24, 2019 at 6:30 am
I find that it is very important to revisit drug adherence in these cases; oral bisphosphonates will not work if a patient is missing the majority of doses. Clinician and patient in this case should ...
- Bisphosphonates Are Increasingly Prescribed to Those Most Likely to Benefiton May 7, 2019 at 6:18 pm
Bisphosphonates, which are used to treat osteoporosis and prevent fractures, are increasingly being used more effectively in a population more likely to benefit, according to results presented at ENDO ...
- Better Bisphosphonate Test and Tighter Controls Comingon March 23, 2019 at 5:54 pm
A storm swirling through the Thoroughbred industry for a couple of years over the misuse of a class of drug called bisphosphonates has swelled into a tsunami that is bringing big changes this year.
via Google News and Bing News