The office has the look and feel of an Internet start-up.
The workers are young, the dress is casual and the computer of choice is an Apple notebook. They inhabit a single open room. The walls have whiteboards for scribbling ideas when inspiration strikes.
But the office in Manhattan is not dedicated to the latest app. It is the base camp of the United NationsGlobal Pulse team — a tiny unit inside an institution known for its sprawling bureaucracy, not its entrepreneurial hustle. Still, the focus is on harnessing technology in new ways — using data from social networks, blogs, cellphones and online commerce to transform economic development and humanitarian aid in poorer nations.
“We work hard, play hard and tend to stay well-caffeinated,” said Robert Kirkpatrick, who leads the group. “This is an exercise in entrepreneurship.”
The efforts by Global Pulse and a growing collection of scientists at universities, companies and nonprofit groups have been given the label “Big Data for development.” It is a field of great opportunity and challenge. The goal, the scientists involved agree, is to bring real-time monitoring and prediction to development and aid programs. Projects and policies, they say, can move faster, adapt to changing circumstances and be more effective, helping to lift more communities out of poverty and even save lives.
Research by Global Pulse and other groups, for example, has found that analyzing Twitter messages can give an early warning of a spike in unemployment, price rises and disease. Such “digital smoke signals of distress,” Mr. Kirkpatrick said, usually come months before official statistics — and in many developing countries today, there are no reliable statistics.
Finding the signals requires data, though, and much of the most valuable data is held by private companies, especially mobile phone operators, whose networks carry text messages, digital-cash transactions and location data. So persuading telecommunications operators, and the governments that regulate and sometimes own them, to release some of the data is a top task for the group. To analyze the data, the groups apply tools now most widely used for pinpointing customers with online advertising.
“We’re trying to track unemployment and disease as if it were a brand,” Mr. Kirkpatrick said.
The Latest on: Tracking International Development
- Sindh launches business registration, property tracking portals on February 20, 2019 at 4:00 pm
The Board of Revenue Sindh also launched its portal for tracking of property deeds at the event ... while the World Bank and Department for International Development (DFID), UK provided technical supp... […]
- Report: Trump officials tried to fast-track nuclear tech transfer to Saudi Arabia on February 20, 2019 at 10:06 am
Jeffrey Lewis, a nonproliferation expert at the Middlebury Institute of International Studies ... will not have any role in nuclear weapons development or any other military purpose, except ... […]
- New Regency Launches International TV Arm With Former Scott Free Exec Ed Rubin & Emma Broughton on February 20, 2019 at 7:06 am
our direct expansion into international television production is the next strategic step,” said Yariv Milchan, Chairman of New Regency, “We are excited to be able to hit the ground running by tapping ... […]
- Global Infrared Search and Track (IRST) system Market Outlook 2019-2027: Aselsan, HGH Syst?mes Infrarouges, Leonardo on February 20, 2019 at 3:41 am
The development rate is estimated ... Regional Marketing Type Analysis, International Trade Type Analysis, Supply Chain Analysis; Chapter 11, The Consumers Analysis of Global Infrared Search and Track ... […]
- Industrial Lubricants Market 2022: To track and analyze competitive developments as joint ventures, strategic alliances, mergers & acquisitions on February 20, 2019 at 2:13 am
Utilizing their international and regional presence ... The annual output of the plant within the Weifang Economic Development Zone was expected to increase from 45,000 to 150,000 tonnes, which includ... […]
- Norman Lee Named Vice President Of Marketing For Atlas Space Operations on February 20, 2019 at 2:06 am
Lee brings to Atlas a 30-year track-record of success including a decade of executive level leadership experience at Hagerty in the areas of marketing, sales, business development ... He also has inte... […]
- Plans on track for Hillsboro's new water source on February 19, 2019 at 11:25 am
There are seven years left in the development of the Willamette Water ... officials say it's still on track to go live in 2026, and the next few years will see lots of construction in the region. […]
- Reed MIDEM’s Lucy Smith on MIPTV’s In Development KIDS on February 19, 2019 at 7:54 am
The jury members will be Nina Hahn, the senior VP of international production and development at Nickelodeon ... so we have a ‘Data Download’ track in the conference,” explained Smith. […]
- Global Student RFID Tracking Market Emerging Trends and Top Key Players- Northstar, GAO RFID, and Coresonant Systems During 2017-2025 on February 18, 2019 at 7:04 pm
research and development and geographical expansion are some of the key strategies adopted by players to ensure long-term sustenance in this market. Key participants in the global student RFID trackin... […]
- Asset Tracking Software (ATS) Market 2019 Global Trends, Emerging Technologies, Size, Segments, Growth and Key Leaders by Forecast to 2023 on February 18, 2019 at 2:36 am
Request a Sample Report @ https://www.marketresearchfuture.com/sample_request/4439 Major Key Players of Asset Tracking Software Market: Zebra Technologies Corporation (U.S.), Stanley Black And Decker, ... […]
via Google News and Bing News