A new study at Moffitt Cancer Center could offer hope to people with melanoma, the deadliest form of skin cancer.
Researchers are investigating whether an injectable known as PV-10 can shrink tumors and reduce the spread of cancer. PV-10 is a solution developed from Rose Bengal, a water-soluble dye commonly used to stain damaged cells in the eye. Early clinical trials show PV-10 can boost immune response in melanoma tumors, as well as the blood stream.
“Various injection therapies for melanoma have been examined over the past 40 years, but few have shown the promising results we are seeing with PV-10,” said Shari Pilon-Thomas, Ph.D., assistant member of Moffitt’sImmunology Program.
In the initial study, researchers injected a single dose of PV-10 into mice with melanoma. The result was a significant reduction in the skin cancer lesions, as well as a sizable reduction in melanoma tumors that had spread to the lungs. The researchers said the dye solution appeared to produce a robust anti-tumor immune response and may be safer than existing immunological agents.
“We are currently in the middle of our first human clinical trial of PV-10 for advanced melanoma patients. In addition to monitoring the response of injected melanoma tumors, we are also measuring the boost in the anti-tumor immune cells of patients after injection,” explained Amod A. Sarnaik, M.D., assistant member of Moffitt’s Cutaneous Oncology Program.
The Latest on: Melanoma
- Uveal melanoma patient registry plannedon July 19, 2019 at 8:53 am
Immunocore and Pulse Infoframe announced a partnership to support a global patient registry in uveal melanoma, according to a press release. Institutions from the United States, the United Kingdom and ... […]
- As UK melanoma rates soar, what are the signs, symptoms and risk factors of skin cancer ?on July 18, 2019 at 5:25 pm
Skin cancer rates have soared by 45% in the UK over the last decade, Cancer Research UK has warned. Melanoma incidences rose in men by 53% in 2014-2016 and diagnoses in 25-49 year olds rose by 78% in ... […]
- Whole-genome landscape of mucosal melanoma reveals diverse drivers and therapeutic targetson July 18, 2019 at 2:13 am
Mucosal melanoma arises from melanocytes that reside in a range of internal epithelial tissues of ectodermal origin. The oral cavity, nose and paranasal sinuses, genital tract, and anorectal region ... […]
- Detailed Review of Tebentafusp (IMCgp100) in Metastatic Uveal Melanoma Published in Issue of Cancerson July 16, 2019 at 6:43 am
Before it's here, it's on the Bloomberg Terminal. ... […]
- Survival advantage suggested in responders to immunotherapy for uveal melanomaon July 15, 2019 at 2:25 pm
A possible survival advantage in patients with metastatic uveal melanoma who respond to treatment with pembrolizumab is suggested in a study of the anti-PD-1 monoclonal antibody as immunotherapy for ... […]
- Melanoma Scanner Market 2019| Size, Industry Share, Approaches and Forecast By 2024 - Market Research Engineon July 15, 2019 at 11:52 am
Jul 15, 2019 (Heraldkeepers) -- New York, July 15, 2019: The global Melanoma Scanner market is segregated on the basis of Product Type as Standalone Melanoma Scanner and Handheld Melanoma Scanner. ... […]
- Immunomodulatory germline variation associated with the development of multiple primary melanoma (MPM)on July 15, 2019 at 2:16 am
Multiple primary melanoma (MPM) has been associated with a higher 10-year mortality risk compared to patients with single primary melanoma (SPM). Given that 3–8% of patients with SPM develop ... […]
- Combination ImmunoTx for Initial Melanoma Brain Metastaseson July 14, 2019 at 10:08 am
Brain metastases are a significant complication of advanced melanoma. More than half of patients with metastatic melanoma will develop brain metastases in the course of their disease. Melanoma ... […]
- United States Non-Melanoma Skin Cancer Market Study 2019: Analyses & Forecasts Through 2014-2024 - ResearchAndMarkets.comon July 11, 2019 at 7:49 am
The "US Non-Melanoma Skin Cancer Market and Competitive Landscape - 2019" report has been added to ResearchAndMarkets.com's offering. US Non-Melanoma Skin Cancer Market and Competitive Landscape ... […]
- Handheld Melanoma Scanner Market: Global Demand Analysis And Opportunity Outlook 2024on July 11, 2019 at 12:12 am
Jul 11, 2019 (AmericaNewsHour) -- The global handheld melanoma scanner market is segmented into skin melanoma type such as superficial spreading melanoma, nodular melanoma, lentigo maligna and acral ... […]
via Google News and Bing News