New method debunks claims that Apollo 11 lunar landing photo is fake
Dartmouth and UC Berkeley researchers have developed new software to detect faked photos, using a geometric algorithm to locate inconsistent shadows that are not obvious to the naked eye.
The new method is a significant step in the field of digital forensics, which national security agencies, the media, scientific journals and others use to differentiate between authentic images and computerized forgeries.
The study, titled “Exposing Photo Manipulation with Inconsistent Shadows,” was presented last week at the Association for Computing Machinery‘s SIGGRAPH conference and is to be published in the journal ACM Transactions on Graphics in September.
The new forensic method analyzes a variety of shadows in an image to determine if they are physically consistent with a single illuminating light source. This allows a forensic analyst to determine if a photo is physically plausible or the result of image fakery. This method has, for example, debunked the claims that the lighting and shadows in the famous 1969 moon landing photo are fake.
The Latest on: Forged photos
- Forged in time: Ancient metal forge discovered in Kedahon January 24, 2020 at 6:37 pm
Tourism, Arts and Culture Minister Mohamaddin Ketapi (photo) said the department remains committed to supporting research on the archaeological site, carried out by Universiti Sains Malaysia as the ...
- The Fires That Forged Us: “Black Sunday” and the FDNYon January 23, 2020 at 11:42 am
Photos courtesy FDNY. Per NIOSH, the apartments involved in the incident had been renovated into single-room occupancies (SROs). The original apartments were partitioned into five separate bedrooms ...
- How the Bucs' Bert Emanuel overcame the non-catch that forged his legacyon January 23, 2020 at 3:22 am
It’s been 20 years since the infamous overturned catch in the 1999 NFC title game, a play that haunted Emanuel until his son taught him to embrace it.
- Forged by fights and fires, KOOP Radio at 25 is stronger than everon January 22, 2020 at 3:44 pm
Kim McCarson, who had taken over as station manager in 2006, was the lone KOOP-er allowed in. She walked through the building and took photos for insurance purposes. “It was haunting. It was ...
- Resident reported $20K check forged from their business account: Glenview policeon January 20, 2020 at 11:54 pm
The reported loss is $300. A resident from the 1300 block of Elizabeth Lane reported Jan. 7 that someone took pictures of the resident’s house. The person stated he worked for an online retailer and ...
- Instagram is hiding your Photoshopped photos, and this is whyon January 16, 2020 at 10:31 pm
Instagram is trying to tackle the spread of misinformation and fake news by rolling-out a clever new feature that detects forged photographs. It’s a clever system and should ... combination of ...
- Roofing boss forged signature of dead workman to dodge blame for his fatal fallon January 15, 2020 at 7:55 am
Mark Bray doctored paperwork to try and avoid blame for Kenneth Drake’s death (Pictures: Cavendish Press) A roofing company boss who forged an employee’s signature on health and safety forms ...
- Feast your eyes on this brand new ‘Outlander’ Season 5 video and photo while you wait for Droughtlander to endon January 14, 2020 at 2:00 pm
The Droughtlander is almost over. “Outlander” returns in a month, but you can tide yourself over with the new Season 5 video and photo that Starz released Tuesday. Season 4 ended with Jamie (Sam ...
- US Marine arrested in Haiti gun smuggling case had help, forged documents, feds sayon January 14, 2020 at 10:31 am
A Marine was in contact with someone in Haiti and was carrying forged military orders when he landed in the Port-au-Prince airport ... Haiti is under a U.S. arms embargo. This photo of the weapons ...
- Signatures of Tshwane ANC council members ‘forged’: DA deputy chief whip lays chargeson January 13, 2020 at 4:00 pm
Pretoria - The Deputy chief whip of Tshwane council Mpho Mehlape-Zimu yesterday pressed fraud charges against the ANC regional leadership for allegedly forging signatures of seven members of council.
via Google News and Bing News