Singapore’s first clean and green driverless shuttle transportation system will soon see passengers shuttling between Nanyang Technological University (NTU) and JTC Corporation‘s (JTC) CleanTech Park.
In a partnership between NTU, JTC and Induct Technologies, and supported by the Singapore Economic Development Board (EDB), an autonomous electric shuttle manufactured by Induct is expected to ply the two kilometre route providing a safe, reliable and environmentally-friendly alternative mode of transportation.
The two-year collaboration will see the Energy Research Institute @ NTU ([email protected]) test and optimise Induct’s electric shuttle named NAVIA and enable it to intermingle safely with traffic in Singapore. [email protected] and Induct will also work to improve and enhance electric vehicle battery reliability and charging speeds, maximizing the efficiency of NAVIA which can carry eight passengers and has a maximum speed of 20.1 km/h.
As part of NTU’s drive to be at the forefront of electromobility research, the partnership will also see the development and testing of various new charging technologies such as wireless induction and new super capacitors for electric vehicles. Software and intelligence systems will also be programmed for planned operation within pre-defined route operating between JTC’s CleanTech One building and the NTU Yunnan Garden campus.
This test-bed is the first of its kind in the region and could pave the way for the integration of autonomous vehicles in Singapore’s transport system to alleviate the “first mile, last mile” transport problem (the first and final legs of a journey, the typical potential bottlenecks in a transportation system) faced by urban cities.
Professor Subodh Mhaisalkar, Executive Director of [email protected], said the NAVIA platform brings together two state-of-the-art concepts critical for future transportation in urban cities.
“Both concepts of a driverless transport and an efficient electric transport are at the forefront of research for personal transportation, last-mile transportation, and for logistics applications in leading automotive companies around the world,” said Prof Mhaisalkar.
“Leveraging on NTU’s expertise in engineering and clean energy, we are confident that our partnership with Induct will see us explore breakthroughs in autonomous driving, wireless fast charging, and advanced battery technologies for sustainable transportation solutions.”
Pierre Lefevre, Induct’s CEO, said: “The synergies between industry in JTC’s CleanTech Park and academia in NTU present a unique opportunity for Induct, both from a test bedding and power management expertise perspective. The planned route between JTC’s CleanTech One and the NTU campus represents a real world scenario of shuttling passengers within a short range, with varying topography and pre-defined routes. Induct is proud to be given the opportunity to set up its Asian office in JTC’s newly opened CleanTech One. The company strongly believes that Singapore is the ideal location for its technological and economic development.”
The Latest Bing News on:
- Throwing Wrenches At Autonomous Vehicleson October 13, 2020 at 9:36 am
If you need to quickly figure out whether or not an AV is safe, you might want to throw a wrench at it. If it doesn’t crash, it’s worthy of further review. If it does, case closed.
- Invest Ottawa receives $17 million to expand autonomous vehicle test facilityon October 13, 2020 at 9:34 am
Economic development agency Invest Ottawa is expanding its autonomous vehicle test facility, Ottawa L5, and rebranding the innovation hub, aimed to support the creation, commercialization, and ...
- Autonomous Vehicles Realizedon October 13, 2020 at 9:22 am
Instead of managing and communicating with drivers in real time, managers can control these vehicles remotely so they can reroute them to a new destination with the touch of a finger. From a ...
- Electric Vehicles Creating A Roadmap To Autonomous Vehicleson October 13, 2020 at 4:15 am
With one stroke of the pen Governor Newsom of California has insured a robust outlook for the future of electric vehicles in California. Finally, electric vehicle manufacturers are in vogue. The ...
- Swiss Re, Daimler Combine For Driverless Vehicle Insuranceon October 12, 2020 at 8:06 am
Swiss Re said on Monday that it has teamed up with the insurance arm of Mercedes-Benz car manufacturer Daimler AG to launch a specialist underwriter, which will provide cover for vehicles that use ...
- Who Will Win The Lucrative Autonomous Vehicles (Robotaxis) Race?on October 11, 2020 at 4:28 am
The global autonomous vehicle [AV] market demand is expected to reach 4.2 million units by 2030, expanding at a CAGR of 63.1% from 2020 to 2030.
- The World’s First Fully Driverless Vehicle Ready To Hit The Roadson October 10, 2020 at 3:22 pm
Waymo just announced its plans to deploy vehicles without backup safety drivers, making a major milestone in a sector that has witnessed many ups ...
- UK 5G/Satellite Lab to Test Autonomous Vehicleson October 9, 2020 at 11:52 am
Supported by the European Space Agency and telecom provider O2, the Darwin SatCom Lab will leverage both 5G and satellite communications.
- Waymo removing backup drivers from its autonomous vehicleson October 8, 2020 at 7:11 pm
Waymo is allowing the general public to hitch a ride in its driverless autonomous vehicles in Phoenix, expanding a service it had been quietly offering to a select group of riders for the past year.
- Waymo will allow more people to ride in its fully driverless vehicles in Phoenixon October 8, 2020 at 10:56 am
Waymo, the self-driving unit of Alphabet, announced it will be opening up its fully driverless vehicles to all customers of its ride-hailing service in Phoenix, Arizona. Previously, the company only ...
The Latest Google Headlines on:
The Latest Bing News on:
- CAT Gets Boost from Driverless Construction Equipmenton October 13, 2020 at 8:25 am
The construction industry was hit by more than a million job losses at the outset of the pandemic when project cancellations impacted many firms. Since then, in some areas, sectors like mining have ...
- Treeswift's autonomous robots take flight to save forestson October 13, 2020 at 5:31 am
Forests cover 30% of the Earth's landmass, but that number is on the decline. Despite forests' crucial role in conserving wildlife and processing carbon dioxide, many are threatened by deforestation ...
- Imagination Technologies launches PowerVR multi-core GPUs for IoT to autonomous carson October 13, 2020 at 2:23 am
Above: Imagination’s BXS design for autonomous cars GPUs ... IMG B-Series also includes IMGIC, an advanced image compression technology that provides bandwidth saving options.
- Global Autonomous Trucking Market Opportunities and Use Cases 2020 - Long Term Forecast to 2040on October 13, 2020 at 2:12 am
The "Opportunities and Use Cases for Autonomous Trucking, Forecast to 2040" report has been added to ResearchAndMarkets.com's offering. Global trucking demand is on the rise with the consistent ...
- 3 Stocks to Profit on Autonomous Carson October 12, 2020 at 11:47 am
Stock Market News, Stock Advice & Trading Tips The race to get the world’s first fully functional autonomous vehicle ...
- Elon Musk says Tesla will release a beta version of its 'Full Self-Driving' feature next week to some drivers. It probably won't make the cars fully autonomous.on October 12, 2020 at 9:41 am
Tesla will release a new beta version of its semi-autonomous "Full Self-Driving" tech to "expert & careful drivers," company CEO Elon Musk said.
- Joint Collaboration Between Livox, Zhito and FAW Jiefang Propels Autonomous Heavy-Duty Truck Into the Smart Driving Eraon October 12, 2020 at 4:03 am
PRNewswire/ -- Livox Tech, a world-leading lidar manufacturer, announced its collaboration with FAW Jiefang Automotive Co., Ltd. (“FAW Jiefang”) and Suzhou Zhito Technology Co., Ltd. (“Zhito ...
- Driverless car technology ‘not capable’ to take control in all dangerous situationson October 12, 2020 at 2:13 am
Please see our Privacy Notice for details of your data protection rights. Driverless car technology installed on many modern cars is not designed to take complete control” in every single dangerous ...
- You May Not Have Heard, But The Autonomous Vehicle Has Now Arrivedon October 11, 2020 at 3:07 am
Waymo announced the opening of a completely driverless service for the general public in three cities within the Phoenix (AZ) area. Waymo’s announcements tend to exaggerate, but this one is real and ...
- Autonomous Car Technology Market 2020 In-Depth Analysis & Future Prospects: Daimler AG, Aisin Seiki Co. Ltd, Google Inc, Ford Motor Companyon October 7, 2020 at 8:00 pm
The global Autonomous Car Technology Market research report 2020 provides a basic overview of the industry including definitions, classifications, applications, and industry chain structure. The ...