Every so often you come across a “why didn’t I think of that?” idea.
Such is the case with Envision Solar’s new EV ARC, which is a portable, stand-alone solar parking space. You don’t need trenching, foundations, building permits or grid connections. If you decide to move the space, all you need is a forklift.
Envision has had some good ideas for solar “trees” and “groves” in corporate lots and parking garages. EV ARC is a somewhat logical extension of those products.
Lots of Options
The car charges on a ballasted pad (able to keep the unit upright in 120-mph winds) that fits within a standard parking space. The 10,000-pound charger takes minutes to set up, has a 22-kilowatt-hour battery back-up, and can store 16 kwh per day. With stored power, you should still be able to charge on cloudy days. Also aiding in that effort is a tracking system that rotates the array to grab up to 25 percent more sunlight. The only sticking point is the, gulp, $40,000 price.
The EV ARC uses batteries from All-Cell in Chicago, and solar modules from Mage. The company is agnostic on the actual EV charging technology—early units have Eaton chargers. Given the system’s capacity, the solar unit can fully charge one EV a day, but parked in a store parking lot, for instance, it’s more likely to give four cars quarter charges.
Will the Cost Pencil Out?
Desmond Wheatley, president and CEO of Envision, agreed in an interview that some may find the price point off-putting at first, but he argues that over time his units pencil out as on par with standard grid-connected chargers.
“We believe the cost points will end up being incredibly competitive,” he said. “First, you will get half the cost off your federal tax liability, and there’s no need to dig a trench, install a transformer, face demand charges or, indeed, any bills from the utility—it’s instant EV charging.”
Wheatley also says that he can halve the cost with the big orders that could allow a city to have an overnight electric vehicle infrastructure. If there’s demand, he also said that cheaper versions could be built for sunny regions like Arizona without the battery backup. Wireless charging is also being investigated, and a model with that enabled is likely in the near term.
Wireless is Coming
“Wireless charging makes the full circle,” Wheatley said. “Now you’re charging from a sustainable platform, and you’re not even plugging in—just driving onto the pad.”
The Latest Bing News on:
Portable Self-Contained Solar EV Charging Station
- Blink Charging Introduces Cable Management Solution for New and Existing EV Charger Locationson November 16, 2020 at 6:20 am
(GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- (Nasdaq: BLNK, BLNKW) (“Blink” or the “Company”), a leading owner and operator of electric vehicle (EV) charging equipment and services, today announced the introduction of its ...
- Airports don't have the infrastructure to charge the coming wave of electric planes — and a solar power startup CEO says he has the solutionon November 5, 2020 at 4:00 pm
But Desmond Wheatley, the CEO of Beam Global, a startup specializing in electric vehicle charging (among ... told Business Insider. To power charging stations from the existing electric grid ...
- Snohomish PUD Partners with Doosan to Meet Future V2G Customer Demandon November 2, 2020 at 4:18 pm
Since the self-contained Arlington Microgrid is required to be ... to control and dispatch the microgrid's energy storage system as well as the electric vehicle charging stations. “SnoPUD has been ...
- Electric truck charging rife with challenges and opportunitieson October 30, 2020 at 7:35 am
Dependable has a backup diesel generator as well as solar ... access to the electric vehicle without buying it,” he said. In this model, the rental lots would have charging stations.
- Portable charging solutions offer roadside assistance for EVson October 27, 2020 at 7:26 am
What’s missing, in colloquial terms, is the equivalent portable “can of electrons.” Given the concerns and realities of low EV-battery reserve ... has a mobile charging system mounted in a towed ...
- Snohomish PUD Partners With Doosan to Meet Future Electric Vehicle-to-Grid (V2G) Customer Demandon October 22, 2020 at 10:32 pm
Since the self-contained Arlington Microgrid is ... the microgrid’s energy storage system as well as the electric vehicle charging stations. “Snohomish PUD has been collaborating with Doosan ...
- The Best High-Tech Cars for 2020on October 23, 2018 at 6:31 am
They offer the environmental friendliness of an electric vehicle while providing options for when you can't find a charging station and ... and data plan—of your portable device by syncing ...
- 10 Renewable Energy Start Ups in Africaon October 3, 2017 at 5:42 am
M-Kopa enables its users to replace kerosene lamps with solar lights and radio/phone charging stations over several months in instalments ... venturing in provision of clean energy and electric ...
- Barron'son July 14, 2017 at 4:32 am
Is there as enough electricity generating capacity around the globe to meet growing demand? The short answer is yes. That’s the good news. The world has 8,000 gigawatts of installed electricity ...
- Charging Ahead With a New Electric Caron June 27, 2010 at 11:00 pm
In the middle of 2007, Shai Agassi, a software multimillionaire turned environmental entrepreneur, was pondering how to make an electric car ... station for a battery change or to plug into a ...
The Latest Google Headlines on:
Portable Self-Contained Solar EV Charging Station
The Latest Bing News on:
Solar EV Charging Station
- Fastned to run nine France autoroute charging stationson November 27, 2020 at 12:55 am
Fastned has been selected by Autoroutes Paris-Rhin-Rhône (APRR), the French motorway and toll road group, to develop and operate nine fast charging stations along motorways in France.
- PowerFlex Completes EV Charging System for Buck Institute for Research on Agingon November 24, 2020 at 11:10 am
PowerFlex-an EDF Renewables Company completed the installation of 49 electric vehicle (EV) charging stations for the Buck Institute for Research on Aging. The EV chargers provide Buck employees with a ...
- Mirova takes major stake in solar, EV charging firm Drivecoon November 24, 2020 at 5:00 am
Mirova has invested “several million euros” in Driveco to become a major shareholder in the electric and solar vehicle charging infrastructure company. Mirova has invested through its ...
- IOC to set up solar-power based charging stations for e-vehicleson November 20, 2020 at 9:21 pm
The EV charging system has been designed by Hygge Energy, a start-up incubated by Tech Mahindra, and has three main features — EVs charged with solar power, no upgrades required in grid infrastructure ...
- Standalone EV recharging station integrating renewables, storage and hydrogenon November 19, 2020 at 2:34 am
Scientists in Qatar have developed a new model for setting up standalone EV recharging stations based on the hybridization of multiple renewable energy sources and different types of storage. The ...
- EV charging available at home, in downtown Red Wingon November 18, 2020 at 8:23 am
Xcel Energy is launching a new program to make transitioning to electric vehicles simpler. The effort comes as Red Wing and Goodhue County officials are championing EV efforts.
- NYS To Use $11M To Build Network Of Fast Charging Stationson November 13, 2020 at 10:12 pm
New York state plans to use $11 million to build the state’s network of fast charging stations to support wider adoption of electric vehicles. The Direct Current Fast Charger program will be ...
- Coming to Topsfield: 19 solar lights, 2 EV charging stations, 1 municipal fiber loopon November 13, 2020 at 10:58 am
For downtown revitalization and sustainability efforts, Topsfield is installing 19 solar lights, EV charging stations, a closed municipal fiber loop.
- Electrify America surpasses 500 charging stations, with more to comeon November 10, 2020 at 4:07 pm
Most importantly, stations can support more than one EV charging at a time ... but also suck up solar energy to power the charging station. The goal is to keep disruptions to the electrical ...
- Core Development Group Launches EV Charging Station Design, Build Teamon November 10, 2020 at 6:30 am
MAHWAH, N.J., Nov. 10, 2020 /PRNewswire/ -- Core Development Group, a leading solar energy developer, announced today that it has officially launched a specialized EV Charging Station design and ...