Jon Jordan has a big idea but little money to fund it.
He has designed a device that uses the exhaust flow from an engine, such as a jet engine, to turn a crankshaft that generates electricity. He calls it a high-velocity low-pressure engine.
He has applied for a patent and built an early prototype in his garage. Jordan, who lives in Bel Aire, works for United Technologies as a carpenter.
To really develop his invention, he said, he needs some serious dollars. He has started with Rocket Hub, a crowd-funding site, in hopes that people will contribute to it. Donors don’t get any ownership of the company, but they do get token gifts or services for their contributions.
He said his goal is $300,000.
“I was trying to sell it as something that would make the planet a better place,” he said.
But crowd-funding is a fickle thing. For every success, there are plenty of failures. It helps to have a lot of family and friends willing to donate; a quirky, fun or inspirational product that people can identify with; some savviness about how to market the product through social media; and a lot of luck.
So far, he’s gotten less than $1,000, and he has fewer than 10 days left in the fundraising effort.
“I knew it would be kind of hit and miss,” Jordan said, sounding a little discouraged.
Kenneth Jack, a Wichita attorney who handles much of the patent work in the area, said he was impressed with Jordan’s device. It’s clearly something new.
“It’s very interesting, very patentable,” he said.
Seeking a patent is key for inventors who thinks a product is new, Jack said. It allows them to consult the experts needed to improve their designs without worrying about having their ideas stolen.
“It frees creative people to move forward,” Jack said.
To find more information on the engine, go to http://www.rockethub.com/projects/28731-energy-capture-fuel-saver-research-project
Trish Brasted, president of Wichita Technology Corp., said Jordan’s engine isn’t a good candidate for crowd-funding.
“Crowd-sourcing is really more for consumer products,” she said.
On the other hand, it sounds like a perfect fit for Wichita’s product-development ecosystem, she said.
The Latest on: Engine invention
- Latest Updated Report on Insight Engines Software Market 2019-2024| by Major Companies Microsoft, SAP, iManage Work, IBMon January 23, 2020 at 11:13 pm
Market Research Vision has published a latest and most trending report on Insight Engines Software Market which estimates that the global market size of Insight Engines Software is said to flourish ...
- President Trump Wants To Protect Geniuses Like Elon Musk, Thomas Edison, And Whoever Invented The Wheelon January 23, 2020 at 5:29 pm
As far as protecting Musk and other geniuses like Thomas Edison and that brilliant prehistoric brainiac who came up with the wheel, Trump’s protection plan may find those jobs a bit tricky, since ...
- Trump Wants To Protect The Inventor Of The Wheel Who Has Been Dead For Millenniaon January 23, 2020 at 5:22 am
He also acknowledged Musk’s rockets for not having any wings, adding: ‘I never saw where the engines come down with no wings, no anything, and they’re landing.’ Following his effusive praise of ‘the ...
- $45,000 statue proposed for Fairlie of famous Hamilton Jet inventoron January 21, 2020 at 4:28 pm
South Canterbury water jet inventor the late Sir William "Bill" Hamilton will be ... in excess of 300 kilometres per hour when they were powered by helicopter turbine engines with a Hamilton jet, Thew ...
- David Jason, 79, dons a futuristic jet pack while shooting upcoming show Great British Inventionson January 19, 2020 at 4:23 pm
And David Jason, 79, is set to show viewers his passion for innovations in engineering and mechanics in his upcoming More4 documentary series Great British Inventions, scheduled to hit screens later .
- We got it made: The woman who invented Hundreds & Thousands biscuitson January 19, 2020 at 8:09 am
Choate said she believed it was about 1978 when she invented the biscuit. She was 11 or 12 and living ... recognised as the world's leading authority on the internal combustion engine by the 1930s.
- Think universities are making lots of money from inventions? Think again.on January 17, 2020 at 8:17 am
There are seemingly countless examples, including Gatorade, invented at the University of Florida ... among chancellors and presidents in selling the value of their universities to the larger ...
- Wheelie fast! Inventor, 27, turns a green bin into a speed machine that can hit 36mphon January 17, 2020 at 12:47 am
An inventor has made a wheelie bin that can travel at up to 36mph in a bid to set a new world record. Andy Jennings spent more than 200 hours creating the contraption out of a motorbike engine and ...
- What is the best game engine: is GameMaker right for you?on January 16, 2020 at 6:24 am
According to Adams, the engine's community is "unlike any other." "The distance between experienced professional developers and newbies is small," he says. "Good technique doesn't have far to travel, ...
- Quantum Computing Market and its Future Outlook and Trend During the Period of 2020 - 2025|Market Research Engineon January 15, 2020 at 7:03 pm
New York, January 16, 2020: Quantum computing harnesses the incredible laws of quantum mechanics to method info. May be the exploitation of quantum computing is often dramatic and have comprehensive ...
via Google News and Bing News