The small and light electric car completely folds in half when parking, making it a perfect fit for public or private transportation in an urban environment.
Looking for a parking space for hours at a busy shopping mall or being stuck on roads jammed with cars releasing large amounts of carbon dioxide are all-too-familiar scenes for city dwellers.
A group of researchers at the Korea Advanced Institute of Science and Technology (KAIST) recently developed a possible solution to such problems: a foldable, compact electric vehicle that can be utilized either as a personal car or part of the public transit system to connect major transportation routes within a city.
In-Soo Suh, associate professor of the Graduate School for Green Transportation at KAIST, and his research team introduced a prototype micro electric car called “Armadillo-T,” whose design is based on a native animal of South America, the armadillo, a placental mammal with a leathery armor shell.
The research team imitated the animal’s distinctive protection characteristic of rolling up into a ball when facing with threat from predators. Just as armadillos hide themselves inside the shell, Armadillo-T tucks its rear body away, shrinking its original size of 2.8 meters (110 inches) down to almost half, 1.65 meters (65 inches), when folding.
Armadillo-T is a four-wheel-drive, all-electric car with two seats and four in-wheel motors. Since the motors are installed inside the wheels, and the 13.6 kWh capacity of lithium-ion battery pack is housed on the front side, the battery and motors do not have to change their positions when the car folds. This not only optimizes the energy efficiency but also provides stability and ample room to drivers and passengers.
Once folded, the small and light (weighs 450 kg) electric vehicle takes up only one-third of a 5-meter parking space, the standard parking size in Korea, allowing three of its kind to be parked. With a smartphone-interfaced remote control on the wheels, the vehicle can turn 360 degrees, enhancing drivers’ convenience to park the car, even in an odd space in a parking lot, the corner of a building, for example.
Professor In-Soo Suh said, “I expect that people living in cities will eventually shift their preferences from bulky, petro-engine cars to smaller and lighter electric cars. Armadillo-T can be one of the alternatives city drivers can opt for. Particularly, this car is ideal for urban travels, including car-sharing and transit transfer, to offer major transportation links in a city. In addition to the urban application, local near-distance travels such as tourist zones or large buildings can be another example of application.”
The Latest Bing News on:
Micro Electric Car
- Link E-scooters Might Shake out the Kinks Holding Back Micromobilityon June 29, 2020 at 3:03 pm
There are many (including yours truly) who believe that micromobility is the future of urban transportation; that powerful little batteries, and smart electronics will make it possible for many people ...
- The Tango T600, the Electric Micro-Car With Big Dreams and a $420,000 Price Tagon June 29, 2020 at 5:38 am
Before Tesla came into the picture and became the trailblazer that it is today on the automotive scene, there was a little thing called the Tango T600. And when we say “little,” we mean minuscule.
- Micro Switch Problems You Should Know While Choosing A Good Customized Micro Switches Manufactureron June 24, 2020 at 7:17 pm
Unionwell is one of the leading China micro switch, slide switch, door latch, car door lock, mechanical switches manufacturers,for more visit ...
- Austin Transit Is Banking on Bikes to Improve Mobilityon June 24, 2020 at 4:14 pm
Capital Metro in Austin, Texas, is set to become the lead agency for a new bike-share program, possibly signaling a trend placing micro-mobility squarely in the hands of public transit.
- Segway stops production, marking the end of a scooter eraon June 24, 2020 at 8:15 am
The PT, or personal transporter, made up only 1.5 percent of the company’s revenue last year, Segway President Judy Cai said in a statement. Retiring what most simply know as the Segway will free up ...
- Micro-Compact Cars Market Size 2020 Global Industry Analysis by Share, Growth Rate, Regional Opportunities with Dynamics, and Forecast till 2026on June 23, 2020 at 10:05 pm
Final Report will add the analysis of the impact of COVID-19 on this industry." Global “Micro-Compact Cars Market” ...
- 'World first' electric digger in the running for prestigious MacRobert Awardon June 22, 2020 at 7:29 am
Three ‘world firsts’ from UK engineering, including a premium battery-electric SUV and a fully electric digger, are finalists for the 2020 MacRobert Award. A system that could “dramatically improve” ...
- Last Mile Holdings Announces Executive Leadership Updateson June 22, 2020 at 4:09 am
Marley brings nearly three decades of finance and accounting experience to MILE, including 25 years in senior leadership roles at various technology and consumer-centric public companies. Marley also ...
- CityQ’s enclosed electric Car-eBike begins taking pre-orderson June 19, 2020 at 8:02 am
As e-bikes continue to explode in popularity and cause a nationwide shortage of the two-wheeled transports, waves of new riders are discovering the benefits of pedaling their way to work without ...
- Micro-Hybrid Vehicles Market Top Manufacturers, Competitive Landscape, Growth Rate till 2022on June 18, 2020 at 9:54 pm
Jun 19, 2020 (AmericaNewsHour) -- The market for micro-hybrid vehicles is expected to grow at a CAGR of 16% during the forecast period. A micro hybrid for ...
The Latest Google Headlines on:
Micro Electric Car
The Latest Bing News on:
Fix the internet
- Tackling the Unsolvable Problem: The Bottomless Email Inboxon June 29, 2020 at 5:31 pm
That’s because email, which has been around for as long as we can remember using the internet, is a source of pain with no ... Last week, I used Yelp to contact some electronics repair shops for ...
- Communications With Reputation Repair Firm Aren't Privilegedon June 29, 2020 at 2:59 pm
for plaintiff and FINRA to counteract and thus mitigate damages from the defamatory statements concerning plaintiff on the internet, [arising] from his work with FINRA, about which he sues.
- 4 Online Tools to Fix Your Financeson June 29, 2020 at 10:32 am
The Internet has changed the way we shop, get news and keep in touch. But it can also help organize your finances -- sometimes in ways you wouldn't expect. Here are four tools to get your budgets and ...
- Under Center Podcast: Chris Simms talks Bears and the NFC Northon June 29, 2020 at 5:40 am
JJ Stankevitz and Chris Simms discuss who should be at the top of the NFC North this season and discuss what Matt Nagy needs to do to fix his offense.
- Marketing & Technology Data Is Racist & Biased: Here’s How Marketers Can Fix Iton June 29, 2020 at 5:04 am
Learn what implicit bias is, how it affects marketing data and technology, why it’s important to recognize in marketing, and what marketers can do.
- The best indoor TV antennas: fix bad television signals with a new indoor aerialon June 29, 2020 at 2:32 am
Our list of the best indoor TV aerials helps you to say goodbye to glitchy TV channels and awkward programme pauses ...
- These are the most common Pixelbook problems, and how to fix themon June 24, 2020 at 3:03 am
If resetting doesn’t fix your Chrome OS issue, you have a more “nuclear ... for a few minutes until the Pixelbook and Android phone shakes hands over the internet. With your Android phone now linked, ...
- Get your Lavender in the Village fix in a kiton June 20, 2020 at 11:12 pm
Lavender in the Village draws thousands of people to the Village of Los Ranchos each year. This year eventgoers will not be able to browse vendor booths but they can still purchase products from some ...
- AMD says it will fix new CPU bugs by the end of June 2020on June 19, 2020 at 11:00 pm
AMD Accelerated Processing Unit (APU) processors released between 2016 and 2019 impacted by new "SMM Callout" bugs.
- Now Is the Time to Fix the Programmatic Pipes: Christiana Cacciapuoti, AdLedgeron June 18, 2020 at 4:58 am
Now is the time to take the necessary steps to fix the programmatic pipes ... Cryptography is the reason for your peace of mind in these scenarios, and a major reason the internet gained such mass ...